Latest post Wed, Sep 16 2015 10:41 PM by JoelGriffen. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 3 2015 7:01 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,350
    • Points 60,435
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

MC 8.4.1 just released.

Features and fixes include:

Support for Artist | DNxIO: This update includes support for the Artist | DNxIO hardware. For more information about the capabilities and features of the DNxIO, please refer to the DNxIO Setup Guide <http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/User_Guide/Avid-Artist-DNxIO-Documentation>

New Mac OS Support: This update now supports Mac OS 10.10.4 and 10.10.5

-  Bug fixes:

1. In some instances, trim changes did not apply if you performed a trim quickly.

2.  iLok licensing errors might have appeared when launching Media Composer.

3. Scrubbing audio with XDCAM media was slow.

4. Accessing an AMA media folder took a long time if there were many subfolders in the    shared directory.

5. The Get Info window might have crashed the application.

6. The Send To Playback Temp folder was filling up over time.

7. Having Clip Frames enabled in the Timeline could cause the application to be slow to respond.

8. In some cases, consolidating a sequence consolidated the enter source clip rather than just what was used in the timeline.

9. Audio effects saved to a bin did not apply after quitting out of the application.

10. AAFs created from the Sony PDZ Content Browser software would not relink properly.

11. Consolidating an AAF sequence could result in lost renders.

Licensing and Activation: The ability to launch Media Composer  (v8.4.1) software is dependent on the status of your Avid Upgrade and Support Plan on the date this software version was released (in this case September 3, 2015).  If your plan has expired, you will not have access to the new software unless you purchase a renewal within 30 days of the expiration date.   Each build (software release) of Media Composer has a hard-coded release date. All Media Composer v8.x licenses (Software, Dongle, and Floating Licenses) will be updated with the active Avid Upgrade and Support Plan start and end dates.  Media Composer will poll the Avid Upgrade and Support plan information in the license upon launch, and then compare it to its build date.   If your plan is active then you will be provided access to Media Composer v8.4.1 (September 3, 2015).

How to Update:  Please read the How to Update Your License page before upgrading to this release.  More detailed information is also available on the Upgrade and Support Plan FAQ page.  I have also posted most of this information in the Licensing forum / FAQ and Announcement section.

FlexVersioner:  Reminder that the FlexVersioner is no longer supported for the v8.4.1 release.  See the Support Upgrade  article for instructions on how to upgrade your license.

Documentation: The latest ReadMe and more can be found on the Media Composer Documentation page once the v8.4.1 release is live.

Application Manager:  The Application Manager remains at version 2.4.2.

Compatibility:  For complete system compatibility and requirements (including Interplay and ISIS) for Media Composer v8.4.1 please visit the Media Composer System Requirements page once the product goes live.

Installers:  There are full installers for Mac and Windows as well as Patch installers for Mac and Windows.  The Patch Installers are designed to install on systems with Media Composer 8.4 currently installed.

ReadMe:  Customers should be encouraged to read the “ReadMe” for additions, changes/updates included with this release.  The final ReadMe will be live when the product launches.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: All customers currently using a Media Composer v8.0 license, and either running Media Composer v8.2.x or lower, or have recently renewed their Upgrade & Support plan, may need to re-activate their license in order to run the latest software release. This procedure is similar to upgrading a license with past releases, however customers will use their current Media Composer v8.0 licenses and will not require new ones. For more information, please see this article: Media Composer  Support Contract License Update

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.6.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 4 2015 11:18 AM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 156
    • Points 1,695

Re: MC 8.4.1 just released.

Hi, 

In terms of Quicktime version should we be using 7.7.8 with MC 8.4.1?

The version matrix still shows 7.7.6 for MC 8.4 & 8.4.1 (link: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en267087).

In the 8.4.1 Readme it says to use 7.7.8.

Regards,

Dan

• Fri, Sep 4 2015 1:21 PM In reply to

Thanks.  I've really enjoyed 8.4.  Glad 8.4.1 has fixed the trim issue (I haven't tested yet, but assume you guys have it covered!).  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Fri, Sep 4 2015 2:31 PM In reply to

• bobpiech
    • Not Ranked
    • Poland
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,210

MC 8.4.1 is buggy. Exporting video with different codecs source, after rendering to DNxHD eg. 120 bps with SAME AS SOURCE encoding give an unusable file. Try to edit AVCHD 50i from AG-AF 101 and GOPRO FHD 25P MP4 from linked media, render it and export like Avid Same as Source. Don't be suprise.

MC8.8, Win764, QTime 7.7.9, NVIDIA Driver 375.86, Asrock P67 Extreme 6, Intel 2600K, 16GB RAM, Deckink HD Extreme 3D+, NVidia Quadro K4000, M-Audio Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 4 2015 4:53 PM In reply to

• bobpiech
    • Not Ranked
    • Poland
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,210

Help! What do I need to get back to the 8.4.0 version ?

MC8.8, Win764, QTime 7.7.9, NVIDIA Driver 375.86, Asrock P67 Extreme 6, Intel 2600K, 16GB RAM, Deckink HD Extreme 3D+, NVidia Quadro K4000, M-Audio Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 4 2015 9:57 PM In reply to

• JoelGriffen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 12 2009
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 645

FYI to The Blackmagic Ultra Studio Express Users out there. 

I've upgraded to MC 8.4.1 from 8.4.0 - I was on Desktop Video Utility 10.4 & OSX 10.10.4

Everything played back correctly yay. 

Then I thought "hey since today is turning into an upgrade day I should see if there is a Desktop Video Utility upgrade out there "and there was. I upgraded to Blackmagic DVU 10.5 then ran into some problems. I couldn't playback through the HDMI connection without massive interlacing issues on picture during playback on my external HDMI monitor.  

I was already going to upgrade to OSX 10.10.5 since the new avid version (8.4.1) is compatible. So I thought maybe this new DVU 10.5 is only compatible with the new OSX. I was wrong. It continued to have issues so I uninstalled Blackmagic Desktop Video Utility 10.5 and re installed 10.4.3 and that did the trick!  

So now I am on Avid MC 8.4.1 / OSX 10.10.5 / Blackmagic Desktop Video Utility 10.4.3 and everything seems to be working just fine. 

...For now. 

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation! 

• Sat, Sep 5 2015 8:01 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

JoelGriffen:
    I couldn't playback through the HDMI connection without massive interlacing issues on picture during playback on my external HDMI monitor.

Same here, massive interlacing issues when playing back in Green mode. Green/Yellow draft mode is ok. I'm using an Intensity Shuttle.

So for me it's also 10.10.5 - 8.4.1 - BMD 10.4.3

Why is it so hard for BMD to release drivers that just work... The funny thing is that this release officially supports the new DNxIO which is made by BMD for Avid. One would think the drivers would at least be perfect now. Not so apparently...

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:58 PM In reply to

• YOP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,135

So annoying!! After posting here about Title tool language issue(in my case Hebrew, other reported about Franch)
    A bug that when inside Title Tool I try to save a title in Hebrew Avid get into a "deep thinking" that never end so I have to crash Avid. Because of that I stepped back to 8.3.1. I thought that when 8.4.1 will be released this headache will be over, but sadly I was wrong! How much longer do we need to wait till it will be fixed?  B.T.W I upgraded the Nvidia driver.
    Euchrow:

JoelGriffen:
    I couldn't playback through the HDMI connection without massive interlacing issues on picture during playback on my external HDMI monitor.

Same here, massive interlacing issues when playing back in Green mode. Green/Yellow draft mode is ok. I'm using an Intensity Shuttle.

Same here for me. I have the DeckLink HD Extreeme 3D+,  with the 10.5 driver it was a nightmare and I also had problems with 10.4.3 driver with SD footage, so I stepped down to 10.4.1 and all is good.
    System - Avid Media Composer 2018.11 + Symphony Option, HP Z840, ZTurbo 500GB for System, CPU E5-2650V3 10 Core, 32GB RAM, AMD FirePro W7100, BlackMagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 11:36 AM In reply to

Exporting multiple timelines does not work anymore - the media composer freezes after completing the first export (mov h.264 export)

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 10:41 PM In reply to

• JoelGriffen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 12 2009
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 645

acard-cmplx:
    Exporting multiple timelines does not work anymore - the media composer freezes after completing the first export (mov h.264 export)

I have noticed a new extra long lag at the end of the exporting progress bar that makes it look like it has frozen up. I have been successfully exporting multiple timelines to a variety of codecs (h264 included). It seems this is a new bug that makes it appear like its frozen. Fortunately the solution is just patience. Just hang tight when the progress bar reaches the end. It looks like it's frozen but after a few minutes it will eventiually kick over to the next sequence when exporting a handful at once.  

In related news I've noticed this same tricky freeze up with making titles in this version of MC (8.4.1).  I looks like its frozen at the progress bar when trying to save the file but its just still working. That darn progress bar is deceiving sometimes. 

All the best. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller