Latest post Mon, Sep 7 2015 12:43 PM by jef. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 2 2015 3:40 PM

Help sending an XDCAM EX 35mbs sequence to Davinci

I need some help with figuring out a way to send (or export) my sequence to Davinci Resolve Lite.

I shot an event recently (Sony EX3, 1080p25, recorded onto sd cards via adapters) but forgot to bring along a Mac formatted HDD, when each sd card was full I copied the mp4 files onto an external drive and erased the cards to use again. 

When I was ready to start editing MC wouldn't link to the files from the sd card and wouldn't let me import them either. I then took the long route of converting each mp4 file into MXF files via Media Encoder CC, I was then able to import the new files into MC and start editing.

I've edited one sequence that I'm ready to send to Davinci but the same as source method doesn't work (I get the "Long GOP media can not be exported same as source... error message"). I've tried a few other ways with no success so far. I did some research, consolidated the sequence and exported and EDL but when I try to import the EDL into Davinci it freezes.

Does anyone know a way for me to fix my workflow?

I've got more things to edit but I don't want to start until I've resolved this first.

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 16GB ram, LG E2251 monitor. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 3 2015 12:15 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,065
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Help sending an XDCAM EX 35mbs sequence to Davinci

Transcode the finished tilmeline to DNX with handles and export the media and a AAF to Resolve.  You can do all of that using the Export... dialog box and selecting AAF.  Select Consolidate and you'll see options to transcode the media, set handle length and pick a location for the media and the AAF.

Whenever you have to pull stuff off of a camera card it's imperative to get the whole structure otherwise, as you discovered, things don't work as intended.  Either copy everything into a folder or better yet, make a disk image of the media using Disk Utility so that you can re-create what was on the original captured media.  Once you make the image, load it up to ensure that you got everything before erasing a card.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Sep 3 2015 1:37 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,484
    • Points 42,020

What he said.  And I will add - do NOT send any XDCam native material to Resolve.  There is a bug in Resolve in which XDCam material, even if rendered to DNx by Resolve, will be out of sync.

So always transcode XDCam to DNx before sending to Resolve.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Sep 3 2015 4:49 AM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them and report back.

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 16GB ram, LG E2251 monitor. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 3 2015 9:29 AM In reply to

I followed your suggestions but when I try and export the new DNxHD sequence (same as source) the export stops at 99% and gives the following error message: Exception: UPDATE_MOVIE_RESOURCE_FAILED

Have I done it wrong?

When you say export the media (and AAF) into Resolve do you mean the new finished sequence?

I've imported the AAF into Resolve but some clips are missing.

If it makes a difference, I'm editing multicam.

• Thu, Sep 3 2015 4:26 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,484
    • Points 42,020

I always do  "Commit Multicam" before prepping an AAF.  I would recommend that highly.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Sep 4 2015 1:20 PM In reply to

The commit multicam has made a difference, I can now import the AAF into Resolve.

EDIT: I did a round trip from Resolve and was able to link to the AAF and do an AMA export. A long process but I learnt a lot, thanks guys.

• Mon, Sep 7 2015 12:43 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,484
    • Points 42,020

Great.  The commit multicam is one of those overlooked tools that snuck into the software some time ago with little notice.  Very useful tool for many reasons.

Someone shared it with me.  Your turn next.  Smile

Cheers,

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller