Latest post Tue, Aug 25 2015 12:29 AM by hbrock. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 24 2015 5:38 PM

• rominarey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 15 2014
    • Posts 24
    • Points 310

Updating OS X when using MC 5.5.2

Greetings to all who can help.

I need to update to either OS 10.9 or 10.10 for other software that is not compatilble with the current version of OS 10.7 that I'm operating on. If I update my OS will it still be compatible with MC 5.5.2 that I'm currently running on my system. I dont intend on upgrading my MC right now as I am in the middle of editing a documentary. So I just want to know if MC 5.5.2 is supported in OS upgrades or if I will run into problems if I update.

Thanks all for your help

Romina

• Mon, Aug 24 2015 8:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,667
    • Points 223,915
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Updating OS X when using MC 5.5.2

rominarey:

Greetings to all who can help.

I need to update to either OS 10.9 or 10.10 for other software that is not compatilble with the current version of OS 10.7 that I'm operating on. If I update my OS will it still be compatible with MC 5.5.2 that I'm currently running on my system. I dont intend on upgrading my MC right now as I am in the middle of editing a documentary. So I just want to know if MC 5.5.2 is supported in OS upgrades or if I will run into problems if I update.

Thanks all for your help

Romina

Hello Romina,

Unfortunately, the upgrade/update you're planning is no longer compatible with the version of your MC.

You may check below link for reference:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en362919

Cheers,

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 24 2015 8:33 PM In reply to

• rominarey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 310

how will upgrading to a new version of Avid affect my project. I have hours and hours of footage and sequences.

Please advise what the best option would be.

Thanks

R

• Mon, Aug 24 2015 9:16 PM In reply to

Most likely, wouldn't affect it much at all.  ESPECIALLY if your sequences are mostly simple things like cuts and dissolves.

I often open up projects in MC8 that I haven't touched since MC5 or even before (MC 1.5 in a few cases), with no problems.  However, careful if your projects have effects that don't come with newer versions, or involve effects that are created by third-party plugins (Boris, etc...)

Another option, you can partition your hard drive - create a new 10.9 or 10.10 partition for your other new software, and keep your 10.7 for MC.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 25 2015 12:00 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Biggest issue between MC 5.5 and MC 6 and above is that AVX effects went from 32-bit to 64-bit and while some are totally compatible, some others may require some re-doing to make them work as expected.  Like USA said, if you've got mostly cuts and dissolves, you won't have any issues.

But...if you can wait until the project is over, that would be the least problematic way to go and a dual boot option might get you the best of both worlds (although not at the same time).

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Aug 25 2015 12:09 AM In reply to

• rominarey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 310

Thank you all for your help. I dont have any effects as we are just starting the stringout of the doc. I may try to boot OS X From another drive and see if that works.

Thanks!

• Tue, Aug 25 2015 12:29 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If you've just got a stringout, you shouldn't have any problems with upgrading MC and the OS.  Keep in mind that Media Composer is only qualified for OSX 10.10.3 so be careful when upgrading the OS to make sure you don't go past a supported OS version.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller