Latest post Tue, Jul 21 2015 4:42 AM by swati.filmmaker. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 21 2015 4:42 AM

Avid MC 8 - R3D Color-correction - Final outputs

Hi,

I am sure this has been answered elsewhere but I can't seem to find it written in a clear / concise manner, so if someone can point to a link / video explaining this workflow clearly or just describe here, that would be great. 

I shot my most recent short film on the RED Dragon. The DIT gave me Avid DNxHD175X for my offline edit n Avid MC 8.3 (Windows 7). I have nearly finshed my offline edit now.

I am about to hire a colorist who can color R3D files in Resolve in 4k/5k resolution and can give me " 5k DPX, or 5k Prores 4444 outputs or anything else I need". My final requirement is festival runs (DCP if accepted), Blue-Ray, DVD, Web. Pretty standard. 

I know how to export the AAF files for the colorist from Avid MC and to give him the RED files so he can grade 4K / 5K files. What I am trying to understand is the workflow AFTER he finishes grading (+ a few VFX shots). After he has graded the RED files, do I try to link them back to my timeline in Avid MC? If so, based on my requirements, what is the best output I should ask the colorist to provide me with?

I have noticed that anytime I AMA link to any RED files, my Avid becomes really slow and painful. I used Frameflex on one shot to pan and zoom, and that was very slow until I rendered it. Now, I am unsure whether that effect will transfer to the colorist or not. I am also not sure how receiving 4K/ 5K files from the colorist and linking my timeline to those big files would impact the speed of my Avid MC. Either way, I need to understand what files to expect from the colorist and how to proceed once I get the 4K/5K color-corrected R3D files from him.

Any help or pointers to other links demonstrating the Resolve to Avid workflow with color-corrected R3D files would be greatly appreciated.

--Swati 

Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller