Latest post Fri, Jul 17 2015 7:31 PM by swati.filmmaker. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 13 2015 11:23 PM

Avid FX

Hi Everyone,

I am editing some footage on Avid 8.3.1. I have a problem and I am unsure Avid is the right tool to solve it.  I have an insert shot of a sheet of paper with some scribbles on it. On set, the scribbles were made in pencil and  my worry is they won't appear dark enough to be noticed/ understood & they are key to the story. They appear on the screen for a few seconds.

I am attaching a link to the insert shot .jpg here. http://www.tiredandbeatup.com/avidforum/MusicSheet_VFX.jpg

Can anyone guide me to a simple FX tool (such as paint tool) inside of Avid that I can use to darken the lines on the paper? I guess the other way would be to try something in secondary color correction or give it to a \VFX expert. I am unsure as to what tool would be best suited for this job - if it is not too hard and especially possible to do within Avid, I wil like to take a stab at it myself.  

Thanks a lot
    Swati 

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Jul 17 2015 11:02 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,668
    • Points 47,070
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Avid FX

I can think of several ways of doing this, depending on the actual shot. Is the shot just the still image, or is it a video?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:08 PM In reply to

Hi Dave,

The insert shot is a video - 3 seconds long, so there is some breath/ movement to it. In worst case, I can possibly use a still, but I would really like to be able to use the video, as it is not a very close insert shot and the actreses's arm shows, so it will feel odd if she goes completely still for 3 seconds.

Please share any ideas you may have.

Thanks,
    Swati  

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 3:38 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,668
    • Points 47,070

Best way for a 3 second video is to duplicate the clip on the timeline underneath the source clip, add a matte to the source clip framing the sheet of paper to mask it out, and then increasing the contrast of the underlying clip to darken the lines and the text. You may have to animate the motion of the mask if the paper moves any distance, but this is all very simple and fast to do.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 4:23 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,668
    • Points 47,070

Here's a quick test. I did this in Avid FX. I duplicated the track, and in the source (top) track I by created a mask using the Pen tool to roughly draw around the paper (and I should have given a bit more room around the hand to get rid of the shadows). Inverting the mask (this is the button on the mask track) let's the lower layer show through.

I added a BCC Brightness/Contrast filter to the lower track, increased the contrast a lot and the brightness a bit, and played around with the Pixel Chooser, playing on the Matte tab with the channel set to Luma, and the matte type sent to Range, and fine tuning what I wanted with the From, To, and Softness parameters.

I could have done a better job, but this was a quickie to show what could be done. The source monitor shows the original, the record monitor shows the result. Click on the picture below to see the full image

Hope this helps.

Test matte

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 7:31 PM In reply to

Thanks so much, Dave,. It certainly looks like a good possibility, especially if I am able to do a clean job of it and not make the color balance odd. 

I will try it and report back how it went. 

Thanks

Swati

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller