Latest post Mon, Jun 29 2015 8:28 PM by hbrock. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 28 2015 5:13 PM

• mreditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 28 2015
    • Posts 7
    • Points 75

"Media Offline" when system and path changed MC8.4.0

Requesting help to relink source files (MXF/EDL/AMA in multiple folders) for MC 8.4.0

Im unable to figure out how to do  relink the new path to same source files.

Thanks in advance.

MD101 MACBOOk Pro 8GB RAM 500GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2015 7:15 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: "Media Offline" when system and path changed MC8.4.0

1. Open the bin with the offline clips.

2. Select Link (or AMA) from the File menu and select the folder containing the offline clips.

The clips should come back online once the link is reset.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Jun 29 2015 7:29 AM In reply to

• mreditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 75

Hi thanks for the response. However-

I could not find "link ama files option"

The link to media files or source files didn't work.

The right click on existing sequences does not work with relink option  

Somehow managed to figure this out on my own. 

As I said the problem was with only MXF files.

I had to create a root folder in my external drive(which ever drive one needs to use) called "Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 and various numbered folders as per organised convenience" and transfer all Mxf files there.

The project then started indexing the files and media came online.

the same problem is not there with typical media files like MP4 mp3 etc. The project indexes those files in all visible drives.

This could be a very small but major convenient tweak to add in avid versions to come to just change the path of the source files when migrating to another system.

The Logic Pro for example has a very simple process prompt to relink missing media files when u open the project on another computer. One can also transfer all source files into a single zip like folder there and use it on any system.

This was a major annoyance and finally got sorted. 

Thanks for the help though. 

I hope this helps for other users. 

• Mon, Jun 29 2015 10:17 AM In reply to

The short version:

For Avid-created media (MXF files created by importing, consolidating, transcoding) - Avid will find and index the files on ANY attached drive, as long as they're in folders in the format [DRIVE > Avid MediaFiles > MXF > ###] where ### is any number.  Avid is always watching these folders.  If you move files from one of these folders to another, from drive to drive, they'll get found automatically.

For Linked (formerly called "AMA") media - which is media that is NOT created by the Avid software, files anywhere on your hard drive - if these get moved, Avid will not find them.  You need to link to them once again if they've moved drives or folders.  Not the Relink command - you just link media once again - and if they've been linked before, then the software will realize that it's not a new file, but a file that's already in a bin - and bring it back online.

So, if you have both Avid media AND linked media, there are two processes you have to do.

I would like to see some more intuitive linking of linked media files, though - similar to the old FCP7 and Premiere.  If a whole series of folders is moved, you should be able to relink to one, and the software should find all the other folders and files that are in the same place relative to the first one.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2015 4:16 PM In reply to

• mreditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 75

Hi, the relink file(s) option is greyed out.

I want to relink the audio files for which .avb files are already created.

I have transferred the audio files to another volume/disk. Now I cant relink the audio files.

I could successfully do the same for mxf files as the MC 8 recognises the Avid Mediafiles folder and indexes it.

Is there a way out for audio files?

Thanks in advance.

• Mon, Jun 29 2015 8:28 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It depends on how the audio files came into your project.  .avb is just the Avid Bin file that has pointers to the media which resides elsewhere.  You can go to the Choose Columns selection on the hamburger menu on the bin and add "Source Path" to see where the files were last located if necessary.  If you imported the files they should be in your Avid MediaFiles folder.  If you did a AMA Link, they're with your source material that was brought in via AMA and if that path changed you'll need to update it.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller