Latest post Thu, May 28 2015 11:12 AM by oze. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 26 2015 5:52 PM

system upgrade advice needed

Hi all -- running MC 5.5 on a HP z400, Nitris DX, and editshare. It's time for an upgrade.

At the moment our cameramen are shooting a mix of Canon c300 and Red. In the near future we'll probably get a sony f7 or comparable for 4k broadcast work, and use our cameraman's Red for other projects.

Anyway I'm looking to upgrade our PC. Debating whether to splurge on a PC/MacPro system in the $4000-5000 range, or switch to a MacPro tower setup to save a few bucks. I recently found a MacPro Westmere 6core that would cost me about $1500 total to get it up to Avid spec, but would it be enough for 4k and Red raw work? I'll probably get a red rocket whichever system I go with.

Any advice? Thoughts? Criticisms?
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, May 28 2015 11:12 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 570
    • Points 6,730

Re: system upgrade advice needed

Peacebreaker, apparently the 6 and 12 core legacy Mac Pros both are experiencing serious "slow down" issues with rendering and transcoding on Yosemite and MC 8, so they're probably not the best choice if you wanna do 4K and transcodes to DNxHR. All bets are off as to how long it takes Apple to get that problem sorted . . . plus, no USB 3 and no firewire connectivity - never gonna happen - they are old machines now . . . 

Personally, I got rid of my 6 core tower a year ago and I'm really diggin' my top spec iMac. If you need to run PCIe cards with the new trashcan MacPro, then you'd need a thunderbolt PCIe chassis - which are not cheap. If you buy the iMac, with the price difference, the PCIe chassis for the card could be free . . . AND you get a gorgeous 27" monitor for free too!

I guess you just have to do the sums. If you decide to go the Mac route, the new i7 iMac's are real solid. Not a step back at all . . .

2014 27" iMac i7 3.5, 512GB PCI Flash, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB, OS 10.11.3, MC 8.5.1, 2nd 27 inch Cinema Display. Also 15" MBP... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller