Latest post Tue, May 12 2015 11:50 AM by Pixel Monkey. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 9 2015 2:25 PM

recommendation for buying new iMac?

Hi, I have just purchased media composer 8.3 and pro tools 12 and I am about to purchase a new imac. I am looking at buying a 21 inch with

• 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
    • 1TB Fusion Drive
    and I am going to purchase a flash drive to store media on when editing. Do you think this will be enough to run the systems well? the minimun is 8gb RAM for MC and 4gb for pro tools, so will it be ok? also im a bit unsure of how RAM works, but am I right in saying that it only uses the 8gb when the application is active? so it wont always take up this 8gb space when inactive? Thanks,  Hannah
  • Sat, May 9 2015 3:51 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Re: recommendation for buying new iMac?

Hannah,

A decakilobuck ($10k) workstatiion is overkill for MC. Just how much computer one needs is a matter of what one intends to do with it. Effect laden high rez long form projects obviously require more resources than simple short low rez projects. Rumage through the Knowledge Base for relavent documents including:

System Recommendations for Feature Performance &

Qualified Apple Mac Systems for Media Composer

Avid Media Composer Documentation and Version Matrix (which OS version works with which MC version)

Co-Install notes for Avid Media Composer 6.5.3 (or higher) and Pro Tools 11 (or higher)

Also, check out this and the MC-Mac fora. Recomended system question come up fairly frequently.

Good luck & enjoy.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 9 2015 4:30 PM In reply to

I wont be editing feature films, I am a student just starting out and I will be editing music videos, short films and promo films, using effects such as colour correction and others such as stabalising images/cropping etc... do you think the system i was looking at would not be able to handle this sort of work? I really cannot afford the mac pro unfortunatley so the next step up for me would be the 27inch with 32gb RAM, 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm or 1TB Fusion Drive and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB - would that be any better?

Thanks very much for the links and info I will check them out!

• Tue, May 12 2015 2:21 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Perhaps someone with more recent mac experience then I can assist fine tuning a real world minimal mac system. I seem to recall reading higher rez media needed at least 2GB on the graphics card but I can't find a citation. 1TB sys drive is completely adequate for all the programs you'll install. (E.g. 350 GB is more than enough for all mine including: Win, MC, Boris, PT, Adobe MC, Resolve, Fusion, Audacity, Reaper, Blender, Wings 3D, Sorenson, +, +, +.) Data is another story.

Good luck & enjoy,

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 12 2015 11:50 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi hannahtyson94. If you are a student and just starting out, then don't overthink it. You need to first think about how and where you'll be editing the most. (Meaning, perhaps you'd prefer a laptop.)

I'm running six MCs and all are on varying quality systems. The lowest is on a Mac mini - nothing fancy, just a late-2012 mini right off the shelf at the Apple store with 8GB of RAM. It does fine with basic cutting.

Where I see students tripped-up the most is in not understanding cameras and how the MC app handles their footage. That's where the biggest performance issues occur. For example if the workflow is going to be to plug whatever camera into the computer and immediately transcode all the footage to DNxHD36 Avid footage, then almost any computer will work fine. Avid MC running its own DNxHD footage works great. However when students plug-in a Canon camera which shot extremely processor-intensive codecs like AVCHD, and they expect to just AMA all the clips and start editing, then performance is horrible and they need a top of the line iMac loaded with memory just to get through the day.

Check with your instructor(s) and find out what they expect the workflow to be. If they agree you'll have time to transcode everything, then you'll be saving a ton of cash and frustration. You'll only need a 21" 2.9 i5 or even a 13" Macbook Air 2.2 i7. But if the classes are moving too fast to allow for transcode time, then expect to spring for much more.

Good luck and report back with any more questions.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller