Latest post Wed, Apr 29 2015 3:25 PM by Kevin Klimek. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 24 2015 2:05 PM

• Andy81
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 2 2015
    • Posts 12
    • Points 145

DSLR workflow

Hi everybody!

I am editing for my very first time Canon DSLR h264 material using AMC8. After a research through different forums, I would like you to tell me if my workflow is accurate. All your tips are welcome:

1-    Importing the material (dnxhd 36).

2-    Offline editing.

3-    Deleting the associated files of the clips I’ve used in the sequence.

4-    Sequence > batch import > offline. I batch import the clips in the sequence (dnxhd 185 x).

5-    Sequence export (dnxhd 185 x)

What do you think about it?

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thanks!

• Fri, Apr 24 2015 2:30 PM In reply to

Re: DSLR workflow

I'd prefer:

1. 1. AMA Link everything.  Keep it all in one bin.
    2. 2. Immediately transcode (DNxHD36 if you choose) - could be background if you want.  Put this all in another bin.  Alternatively, if you're on 8.3 or later, you can flip your project type to UHD momentarily (I understand this might not be necessary once 8.4 comes out), transcode your raw material to something like DNxHR-LB, at a 1/4 or 1/16 source size, then flip back to your HD format once you begin the transcode.  This is a new way to generate proxies.  Workflow is the same no matter what "proxy" resolution you use, be it DNxHD36, or DNxHR-LB.
    3. 3. Turn on "Clip Color" in the Timeline Fast Menu (lower-left), enabling AMA - that way, it's obvious at a glance what your sequence is linked to.
    4. 4. Edit with whichever you choose - AMA or DNxHD36 (or other offline/proxy).
    5. 5. Relink as needed by opening whichever bin's material you want to relink to (AMA or DNxHD36), SELECTING all the clips, and then right-clicking your sequence(s), Relink... "Selected items in ALL open bins."  You can use the bottom "Create new sequence(s)" selection if you want as a fallback.
    6. 6. Transcode your SEQUENCE to DNxHD-185X (or whatever higher resolution you choose) when you're ready to output.  You can keep these 185 clips in another bin for easy sorting.
    7. 7. ExpertRender your sequence.
    8. 8. Export - you can export as Fast Export Same-as-Source if you need a full, self-contained, DNxHD185x file.  Otherwise, you can output a QuickTime Reference if all you need is a go-between for you to encode from.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 24 2015 2:43 PM In reply to

As already mentioned AMA is prefered over importing.

I'd also first batch rename all the source files to ensure no duplicate file names exist.

That assumes no logging has been done on the original clips.

Then AMA and work as suggested.

Note if it's for UK broadcast DSLR content isn't considered to broadcast spec so you need to make sure you have an exception. Also if shot under exposed you will likley find quality is impacted as you grade.

Also note DSLR audio can also be a frame or 2 out of sync.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Apr 25 2015 8:57 AM In reply to

• Andy81
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 2 2015
    • Posts 12
    • Points 145

Ok, I am going to give it a try.

Thanks, mates. 

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 3:25 PM In reply to

For clarification, the main advantage to the AMA workflow to the import workflow is in the final conform.

With AMA, you can transcode your sequence to a higher resolution, and onlythe portions of clips you use (plus defined handles) will be re-transcoded.

With batch import, you have to import the ENTIRE CLIP at high resolution.  Not a big deal if you have 30-second clips, but if you have a 20-minute interview and used five seconds of it, you still have to re-import the entire 20-minute clip, versus roughly 9 seconds with the AMA process.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller