Latest post Mon, Apr 13 2015 12:40 AM by Robb Albrecht. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 11 2015 2:31 PM

• Robb Albrecht
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 19 2015
    • United States
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Thoughts on this workflow?

Hi All,

New Avid user here so bear with me. I'm diving into the Avid pool and I'm really loving how the editing works, don't know why I didn't switch sooner. One question on this workflow I've been using though. It seems like a lot of steps - which is fine - but maybe someone has a couple thoughts on what I'm doing here. 

I have a USB drive with ProRes HQ camera masters on it so I AMA Link and bring in the footage to a bin.

I'm going to edit in DNxHD 145 (ProRes clips didn't play very well) so I create a bin called "footage_DNxHD145" and option drag clips from the AMA Link bin in to this new bin. From here I transcode to 145 and I get new clips with a .new.01 extention added to the title. 

The footage imports, I quit Avid, and eject the USB drive. When I restart Avid all clips in the AMA Linked bin clips are offline - no problem there, I expected that. Now in the "footage_DNxHD145" bin I relink to the AMA clips that I option-dragged in and I'm off and editing with the new DNxHD clips.

So about those clips that have the .new.01 tag on the file name.... Can I delete those without majorly screwing something up?

2.93 GHz Quad-Core Xenon MacPro - 12GB RAM - OS X 10.9.5 - Radeon HD 5770 - Media Composer 8.3.1 - Aja Kona LHi - HP Dreamcolor [view my complete system specs]

Robb - Freelance Film & Video Editor

San Luis Obispo, CA

Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Apr 11 2015 2:48 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,381
    • Points 17,035

Re: Thoughts on this workflow?

It will work, but it's not a great idea.  First, if you ever hook the USB drive back up to your machine the originally AMA'd clips will revert to AMA, automatically replacing the footage in all your edits whether you want it to or not.

Second, if you insist on following this path, make sure when you delete the .new clips you only delete the master clips, not the media.  But the only thing you're really accomplishing is making it a little more difficult to find those sources if you ever need them.  Avid certainly knows they're there even if you can't see them in a bin.

Best to edit with the .new clips and stick the AMA sources in a bin that's out of the way of your daily workflow.

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:10 PM In reply to

• Greg K
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 14 2014
    • Posts 64
    • Points 670

What we did on our last feature film with around 4 TB of ProRes 4444 footage:

We created a folder for assisting purposes, normally with an XY at the beginning of the name thus it appears at the bottom of the project window.

In that folder we had 26 bins with one bin for each shooting day.

In each of those bins the ProRes 4444 footage was imported via AMA Link, then transcoded to DNxHD 36 for editing.

Those newly transcoded clips where then moved to a new assisting bin for synching and the audio was moved in there as well.

That new bin was scene dependant, thus only video and audio from that scene were in there.

Using the TimeCode every audio and video clip were auto-synched and new clips were created.

Those sync clips where then moved into bins for the editor, again scene dependant, they were also renamed to mirror the scene and take name.

Upon the finished edit, the sequence was copied and video made offline (not necessary, but helped in this situation).

All 26 AMA bins were opened (necessary in the version we used back then) and then the sequence was relinked to the AMA clips. It worked rather flawlessly, but that was also due to being a straightforward non-multicam project with only one assistant and one editor, thus no crap accumulated over the five months it was edited on the side.

That way we could export the sequence as AAF for colour grading and what not for DaVinci Resolve.

I hope that helped a bit.

how old is this forum software?

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:36 PM In reply to

• Robb Albrecht
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Thanks for the reply, smrpix.

So it sounds like the "option-drag to a new bin" part isn't really necessary then. I can transcode from my original AMA bin then move the .new.01 clips to a working bin and edit from there. 

Greg, yep super helpful. I'll be getting into larger projects in the future. 

2.93 GHz Quad-Core Xenon MacPro - 12GB RAM - OS X 10.9.5 - Radeon HD 5770 - Media Composer 8.3.1 - Aja Kona LHi - HP Dreamcolor [view my complete system specs]

San Luis Obispo, CA

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:38 PM In reply to

• Greg K
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 670

Yep.

The less duplicates the better.

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:41 PM In reply to

• Robb Albrecht
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Gotcha. 

Thanks, guys. Yes

San Luis Obispo, CA

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:58 PM In reply to

• Robb Albrecht
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

One more question. 

Is it ok to rename clips in the bin? In the past, renaming clips in a Final Cut bin has been troublesome - especially ones from P2 cameras. 

San Luis Obispo, CA

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 4:05 PM In reply to

• Greg K
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 670

As I pointed out in my post, I had not problems renaming the synched clips.

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 4:07 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,381
    • Points 17,035

It's absolutely fine to rename clips in the bin.  Avid's media management is more robust than others.  Do avoid special characters that can be misinterpreted on exports and across platforms -- particularly /\?$@#  (No, I'm not swearing at you.)  Traditional scene/take numbering, for example, can be something like "45A/2" use "45A-2" instead.

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 5:52 PM In reply to

Why transcode to DNxHD?  Consolidate would be faster - ProResHQ is already Avid-native.  Could save time.

Always fine to rename clips in bins.  If you ever need to know where it came from, enable the "Source Path" and "Source File" columns in your bins.  You'll realize that Avid knows EXACTLY which file your clip refers to.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 11 2015 9:53 PM In reply to

• Robb Albrecht
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Hmm. Faster would be better. The transcoding is taking quite a bit of time. 

I played a ProResHQ clip in AMC and it was pretty sluggish but I can't remember how I ended up with it in my bin. I may have tried to play it as AMA linked, would that matter?

San Luis Obispo, CA

• Sun, Apr 12 2015 12:17 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,485
    • Points 42,025

The reason to transcode is to have less media while in the offline stage.  Plus, if you shot ProRes 444 and consolidate, you will need faster storage as well as a LOT more of it.

But if you are shooting on a less space hungry codec, consolidateing is not a bad way to go at all.  Saves time at the top and tail.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 12 2015 12:54 AM In reply to

AMA linking could matter, yes - Avid native media, even consolidated, will practically always perform better than AMA media.

For ProResHQ sources, it's true that DNxHD145 would be smaller - because ProResHQ is roughly the equivalent to DNxHD220 - so you're looking about 1.5x the file size of DNxHD145.  And that higher data rate might choke the storage bandwidth, as jef says.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 12 2015 2:07 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,485
    • Points 42,025

I would further suggest going to the smallest data rate possible for offline with the following restrictions; Same Frame Size and Same Frame Rate as source.  This really simplifies online and finishing.

DNx HD 36 looks really good in 23.98 sourced projects.  DNx 100 is good looking as well for interlaced projecd (just understand the raster size change and how it might impact you). Plus it is easier on the computer than AVC Intra 100 for editing.

I would also say stay with I frame codecs for offline.  Long GOP is for acquisition not editing.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 12 2015 4:39 PM In reply to

• Robb Albrecht
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Quick update. 

All my footage is in and I'm starting to edit with the DNx145 files. Yay!

Just for curisoity I drag and dropped one of the ProResHQ files from the finder into a bin window - ala Final Cut Pro - and after a quick import the clip played pretty well. I guess I should have tried that first. Not sure what Avid did to it. 

Thanks again for the suggestions and thoughts, guys. 

San Luis Obispo, CA

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller