Latest post Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:22 PM by Robb Harriss. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 7 2015 10:53 PM

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 2 2013
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

Titler Pro 3 problem in MC 8.3

Ok, so I finally got around to upgrading MC 7 to 8 and had to just right into 8.3. Seems to be working, at least on the iMac. However I was just testing the new ability to right click and add a Titler Pro title in the timeline. I'm getting getting an error saying it seems that it can't find Titler Pro and I should make sure it's installed. It is, but it's version 3. I've been messing with Titler Pro since it came as a trial on MC 7. I kept it updated and I'm now on 3 and have been for a while. The "free" and trial versions that now ship with MC 8 are v1 and v2. Seems the MC just doesn't like v3? Any ideas? 

You know I did an uninstall of MC 7 and a full install of 8. Even though I tested TP 3 in MC 8, maybe reinstalling TP 3 will help MC 8 recognize it. I'll give that a try, because there's a point update to Titler Pro available.

Primary: MC 2018.12.3 on a Mac Pro 2013, 32 GB Ram, OS 10.13.6, Thunderbolt raids for media and misc other storage. Dual Monitors (Apple 23" cinema... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 7 2015 11:04 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 398
    • Points 5,210

Re: Titler Pro 3 problem in MC 8.3

I don't have a solution to your problem but I can confirm that the same happens to me with latest version of Titler Pro 1 (1.14.12.16). I can only add a title by dropping the Titler Pro effect into the timeline from the Effects Tab.

Avid Media Composer 2019.6 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.0), macOS 10.14.5, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2015 4:35 AM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

I did the upgrade to version three. Unfortunately, it wasn't an upgrade to three it was an upgrade to two. So it wiped out version three and replaced it with version two.*sigh* needless to say this wasn't particularly helpful. The NewBlue website did not provide any way to download another copy version three. I had to dig around on my downloads tried to find an original copy.so even after installing three (so now there's both versions two and three on the system) it still did not work. For unknown reasons version one of Titler, shows up in the effects list. If I try to place that anywhere on the timeline the entire system crashes. Placing a version three title effect on the timeline by hand works just fine. Never been 100% happy with NewBlue Titler. This just compounds it. Looks like a go back to using more Boris Red

Primary: MC 2018.12.3 on a Mac Pro 2013, 32 GB Ram, OS 10.13.6, Thunderbolt raids for media and misc other storage. Dual Monitors (Apple 23" cinema... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2015 6:09 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,516
    • Points 222,125
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Robb Harriss:
    Looks like a go back to using more Boris Red

Yes

A wise choice

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Mar 8 2015 3:45 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

I don't work for NewBlue FX, just another user.  

Since they changed their business model to a more bundled approach, I have had some issues with TitlerPro 3 and FilmFX (mostly licensing and Yosemite support).  You need to contact their support team right away to deal with your issues...they are VERY helpful and help you get you up and running fast.  The solutions to your problems will not come from their website, which is a bit lacking if you made your purchases prior to their revamp.  In my case, they gave me direct links to versions of the products not available on the website.

Call or e-mail them directly and let them help you.  Don't rely on this forum, Creative Cow or even their website.  Your answers won't be there.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2015 9:17 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

Thanks, John. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go back to them for support. While their software works and certainly has some potential I've found it severly lacking in operation. I've gone through a while chain of licensing issues. There email support has been fast and effective, but the fact is there are continual issues regarding basic operation. Lacking are lots of features, especially those of alignment and distribution, found in other applications that are completely lacking in Titler Pro. Once again it feels like something designed by a software engineer who has never had to sit in an edit suite. 

At this point I cannot determine if the fault is with Titler Pro or Media Composer. Has anyone else seen this?

Robb

• Mon, Mar 9 2015 6:23 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

Just spent the morning trying to install/reinstall Titler Pro 3. Looks like the newest version off the NewBlue website is from Feb 5, 2015. It kept hanging during installation on the Mac Pro "trashcan." Went through a long process of testing everything: uninstalls, reinstalls, installing all the older versions and working up to the latest. Finally got the installtion to "take." Now, however Titler hangs on launch, either from within MC (which is 8.3 now) or the standalone. I tried on the laptop (MacBook Pro 15" 2012) and was able to install and launch the app in both conditions. Both machines are running OS 10.9.5 and MC 8.3. 

Note that the original problem: launching Titler Pro from a right-click on the timeline, still persists.

• Tue, Mar 10 2015 1:47 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

Robb Harriss:
    While their software works and certainly has some potential I've found it severly lacking in operation.

Robb Harriss:
    Lacking are lots of features, especially those of alignment and distribution, found in other applications that are completely lacking in Titler Pro.

100% agree.  They are very helpful and prompt but titles created within the Avid timeline in HD in fact are 1448x860 or some other wierd resolution.  This in turn leads to some truely dreadful gradients - try putting a full screen background shape grad... mmmm, steppy...  The interface is strange too, copy a title inside the stage of TP3 - you can't - you can select it, move it but not copy it.  Select the same item in the timeline and all is well.

Alignment and distribution are missing features of a titler that are essential.  Leaving render times for a static title - wow, long, and on new hardware.  why not real time if it is static?

But, "potentially" I like it - if they could just finish the program off and fix it!  Until then... Marquee and RED.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Mar 10 2015 4:16 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

and... agreed.

Basic titling has always been a problem. I was never a fan of going out to photoshop to create titles. I'm talking version 1. it wasn't until 2.5 that they had workable layers and editing. I used QFX on Targa cards and real monitors so we could actually see what we were getting. And we had working alpha channels. Could even plug those into Abekas character generators and Paint Boxes. None of the NLEs had anything approached good until Discreet bought D-Vision and reworked it into Edit. Still the best CG, even though it was actually using an external app. Still looking for something half as good. TP3 "should" work for basics, but man, is it slow to render. I really have to get my chops up with Red.

• Tue, Mar 10 2015 5:13 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

I’ve just discovered that Titler Pro duplicated the entire System Library Application support folder within it’s own resources and content folders, apparently multiple times. It did so to the tune of 113 GB on my machine, filling the drive. I checked on the laptop installation and found something similar, but to the tine of only 9 gigs. This perhaps because the laptop is rarely used for editing.

I've blown off all of this and just cleared the drive. Was trying to figure out why my time machine backups were failing. All of a sudden I had too much to fit on the backup drive.

Here's what the structure looks like

Titler Pro directories

• Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:11 PM In reply to

Robb Harriss:
    I used QFX on Targa cards
    Wow those bring back memories! Wink

• Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:22 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 35
    • Points 390

Ain't that so?

Got Titler to install. Works, but still can't right click on the timeline and create a new TP title. Still says TP not installed correctly. One quick test. A sample title moving from left to right. Took 3 and a half minutes to render. In Red 5.5's RT titler: well, it ran in real time.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller