Latest post Thu, Feb 19 2015 5:20 AM by Mark Job. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 15 2015 11:18 PM

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,105

Will There Be A Successor to Avid DVD by Sonic 6.4.4 ?

Hi Editors:

I'm still using the DVD One Step feature on my MC and I'm still using Avid DVD 6.4.4 by Sonic to author Blu-ray titles using Microsoft VC-1 Codec and AC3 Audio. I was curious to know if Avid DVD by Sonic has been EOL'd by this point, and/or is their any successor, or a recomendation by Avid as to an alternative Blu-ray authoring application ?

Mark

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Mon, Feb 16 2015 1:51 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Will There Be A Successor to Avid DVD by Sonic 6.4.4 ?

Laptopeditor:
    I was curious to know if Avid DVD by Sonic has been EOL'd by this point..

Yes, at least in the sense that there is no support for the product, and there will never be any updates to the software.

Laptopeditor:
    is their any successor

Not from Avid to my knowledge.

Laptopeditor:
    or a recomendation by Avid as to an alternative Blu-ray authoring application ?

No.  But there are options out in the marketplace.  Avid DVD never ran well on my z820s, so i switched to TMPGEnc, which I don't love (can't delete buttons?  Sheesh), but at least burns DVDs.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 16 2015 2:04 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,332
    • Points 53,555

Another alternative is Sony DVD Architect.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Feb 16 2015 9:20 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,105

TVJohn:

Another alternative is Sony DVD Architect.

Hi TVJohn:

So how do you like it ? I've been using Toast on my iMac with my MAC version of MC 5.5.5x with some success, but it's a bit flakier than Avid DVD is on my PC version of 5.5.5x. I've noticed some issues with volume levels shifting when I export from an MC timeline on my PC Laptop via DVD Onestep or when I export to DVD Author via QT Ref into Avid DVD. This doesn't happen all the time. It seems to be an intermittent issue. (??) I really like the visual results of authoring in Squeeze with Microsoft VC-1 codec. You can cram a heck of a lot more data on a single or dual layer Blu-ray with this codec than you can with good 'Ol MPEG 2. AVC H.264 also lookms pretty darn good, but isn't quite as good as Microsoft's VC-1 looks. I'm surprised what happens when you go to Windows Media Video 9.1, but use the "Advanced" level version of the same codec, for Blu-ray authoring, which is what VC-1 is. Surprisingly, I've got this codec to play in every single software computer and table top player I can find to test. Yes

Mark

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Feb 16 2015 9:36 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,173
    • Points 23,315

I use adobe encore but I dont do many dvd's

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Feb 17 2015 3:27 AM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

I love Toast for Mac, it works perfectly, simple, lightweight, and no DVD menus.  But I learned with a little reverse engineering, toast menus are actually PSD templates that you can access via Show App Contents.  And Edit psd templates away!

On the PC side I recently came across "Freemake Video Converter" (just be careful to read each install menu so you don't install their 'payware junk', but works great with DNXHD files for no menu dvds.

Also, since Mac's don't come with DVD burners, I tend to use Toast on mac to make an image file, and then I use ImgBurn or Windows's built in image burner to burn the dvd.

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 19 2015 5:20 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,590
    • Points 20,105

Hi joshdvx:

joshdvx:
    I love Toast for Mac, it works perfectly, simple, lightweight, and no DVD menus. 

.....Yes. I agree. I've been pretty happy with Toast as well, but you can't get it to stop Re-encoding already encoded elements such as AVC HD or VC-1. 

joshdvx:
    and then I use ImgBurn or Windows's built in image burner to burn the dvd.
    ...Yes. I like Image Burn also. 
    joshdvx:
    On the PC side I recently came across "Freemake Video Converter" (just be careful to read each install menu so you don't install their 'payware junk', but works great with DNXHD files for no menu dvds.
    ....I will investigate this.

Thanks,

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller