Latest post Thu, Feb 12 2015 11:43 PM by swati.filmmaker. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:28 PM

External Audio Video Synced Clips on Timeline

Hi,

I have an editing project with separate recordings of Audio and Video. There was no time code on the Audio but I have succesfully been able to sync all the Audio clips with the Video clips using "PluralEyes'. However, in order to do that I had to bring the video and audio clips on the Avid timeline, render them as .AAF, import them into PluralEyes, sync the files in Plural Eyes, render synced .AAF files in PluralEyes and then import back these synced .AAF files onto Avid's timeline. So far, so good.

My question is: Now that I have a bunch of synched sequences on Avid's timeline, how would I go about my edit? Normally, I would have clips in the bins that I can view/ scrub in the Source side of the composer window, mark in &out points and drop them into a sequence. But in this case, I have a bunch of sequences (with raw audio + video) that are my starting point. Is there a way I can convert these sequences back into clips, so I can again scrub / view them in the source side of the composer window and have my usual workflow. I tried to create sub-clips using the "Make SubClip" icon but that also created a new sequence. I know that I can mark in and out points on a sequence and then use Ctrl+Alt+C to copy the selection as a temporary sub-clip, before I drop them in the timeline. But, I am thinking there has got to be a way of being able to use these synced sequences in a regular workflow (meaning watch & mark them on the source side of the composer window).

Thanks, 

Swati 

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:48 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,380
    • Points 17,020

Re: External Audio Video Synced Clips on Timeline

Place the playhead on your timeline over a spot where the clips are aligned.

Match frame to the first clip and mark an "in"

Do this for all the clips in that particular stack.

Highlight all the corresponding clips in the bin

choose bin/group clips and select Sync Clips Using: Inpoints.

They are now locked together in a multicamera group.

Use those grouped clips as your sources.

• Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:53 PM In reply to

Hi smrpix,

Unfortunately I can't sync the clips that way. The in-points for audio and video clips are all over the place. The audio and video devices didnt stop and start at the same time. Thus, it would be extremely time consuming for me to manually listen to matching inpoint on the various audio and video clips. The audio device made a beep sound when it came on which is recorded into the camera. PluralEyes could use this beep (whenever it occured) within the video clip to sync the clips. However, now I have sequences, not clips as my raw material.

• Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:10 PM In reply to

swati.filmmaker:
    I tried to create sub-clips using the "Make SubClip" icon but that also created a new sequence.
    Perform an Autosync on that subsequence. Turns it into a Sync clip. Beware, there can't be any edits or filler in the subsequence or it won't work. ALT-MarkClip helps you select.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:53 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,380
    • Points 17,020

Then, unfortunately, after you do your pluraleyes sync, this is how to proceed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDR8nRXSTyc

(You can start about halfway through)

• Thu, Feb 12 2015 11:43 PM In reply to

Thanks Job ter Burg,

You were spot-on! I selected each clip individually and performed an AutoSync. Turns out each of those little subsequence/ timlines have been turned into a sync clip. So, now I have all my synced material from PluralEyes as source clips that I can view in source monitor and follow my regular workflow in Avid. Thanks a ton!

By the way,  I did have a filler in two of the subsequences (I had to manually sync two clips that PluralEyes had failed to sync) and it seemed to convert those subsequences into sync clips without any issues as well. 

Swati

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller