Latest post Wed, Oct 10 2018 6:33 PM by javieralvarez. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 24 2015 8:56 PM

• yakuba42
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 9 2010
    • Posts 63
    • Points 815

Locators not staying locked.

The following problem didn't happen prior to v6.0...

Note: Sync Lock is always on for all tracks...

I regularly use a empty top track for locators, however, for some time now, trimming on one side only will sometimes make locators on the top track lose their sync spot.

Any thoughts on how to prevent this?

Thanks,

Jacob

OSX 10.10.5 MC 8.4.1 (with Symphony) FCPX 10.2.1 Adobe Premiere Pro CC (2015) Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro6,1 Processor Name... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 24 2015 11:44 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

Re: Locators not staying locked.

Have you tried making sure that there is a cut (add edit) on that empty track with your markers where you are trimming?  You need to act as if there is media up there and include it in your trimming as well.

Jef

PS:  I do this as well and I am working mainly on v7.0.3 and some on V8.03

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:44 AM In reply to

• yakuba42
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 63
    • Points 815

Thanks Jef. That does work.  Would be nice not to have to add edit to blank track(s), even though Opt-Add Edit does add to all blank tracks...

Another thought was maybe by adding a segment of something, say 1 sec, beyond the end of the show on each track so Avid would think to keep that and everything, including locators in sync anywhere before that?   Might not need to add edit in that case.  Will try that, too.

Jacob

OSX 10.10.5 MC 8.4.1 (with Symphony) FCPX 10.2.1 Adobe Premiere Pro CC (2015) Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro6,1 Processor Name... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:20 PM In reply to

Can't you add the locators to the TC tracks? Not sure you can.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:22 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

I do not think that adding time to end of the timeline will work.

Remember that even though a track may be "empty", it still is affected by time.  And trimming is all about changing shot's relative positions in time.  I think that the add edit method is the only one.  Plus, when you put a marker on an empty track, how is the software to know which of the many potential other tracks that marker should be "locked" to.

I did not know about the Opt Add Edit.  Good one!  Thanks.  We're even now.  Big Smile

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:48 PM In reply to

• yakuba42
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 63
    • Points 815

You can add to TC tracks, but they stay locked to that particular TC.  I'm adding to empty track on top layer in order to try and sync to a point in show that will change as additions or cuts are made.  Also a top layer of locator notes are very handy to fastforward to...

• Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:52 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,071
    • Points 12,195

I've never successfully been able to keep locators on filler track in sync, on any version - I'm pretty sure they do some inconsistent movement when trimming. 

• Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:32 AM In reply to

• yakuba42
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 63
    • Points 815

Your instinct was correct Jef...adding a vertical  stack of segments to the end of the timeline (as well as the beginning for that matter) did not help.

Add edit does fix the problem as discussed.

Thanks again.

Jacob

• Fri, Nov 11 2016 7:26 AM In reply to

• taner sarf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 27 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I know this subject is old but wouldn't it still be good if they can stay locked?

Anybody?Smile

• Wed, Oct 10 2018 6:33 PM In reply to

To avoid having to do the OPT Add Edit thing: Select all Markers/Locators in the Markers window under Tools. Move all of them below the top empty track using Change Track. Make a blank transparent title in Title Tool. Cover your empty layer with that title. Go back into the Markers window. Select all the Markers again. Change Track back to the top track, which will place the Markers over your filler title. As long as Sync Lock is enabled on the Markers track and the corresponding video tracks below. The Markers will follow whatever type of Edit you do.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller