Latest post Thu, Jan 8 2015 9:40 PM by slickslack. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 8 2015 5:21 PM

Identifying codecs on non-AVID systems

In an unplanned situation I have an isolated computer with no internet access and an operator with a drive full of AVID codec quicktimes. I think the system is a stock Mavericks or Yosemite MacMini.

I need to be able to instruct the operator who is not an editor, to open the QTs and identify the specific AVID codec of each file. On the phone we've narrowed it down to DNxHD but I need the most foolproof way to get the specific variety.

One of the clips opened in QT7 shows up as "DNxHD 709" in get info and in QT 10 it provokes a conversion to H264 or something more Apple-y. Doing some digging around on my system, VLC doesn't say much more.

We can copy a small installer or two to the system but I don't think putting the free-for-30 days AVID is going to fly in this situation.  Keeping in mind it being isolated from the internet and a lack of edit savvyness on the part of the operator, what's the best utility to put on that system to clearly identify the Codec?

Thanks

MBP 2.8 GHz i7, 16GB RAM Media Composer 12.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Jan 8 2015 6:08 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,392
    • Points 17,195

Re: Identifying codecs on non-AVID systems

Try mediainfo for mac. 

Otherwise, quicktime Get Info also shows raster size, framerate and bitrate which will allow you to make a pretty good educated guess.  (Won't tell you if it's 8 or 10 bit though.)

• Thu, Jan 8 2015 8:25 PM In reply to

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Also, newer Macs still let you install QT7, which will not force the conversion you are seeing in QT X. (QT X is actually not Quicktime but AV Foundation, so the QT codecs won't work).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 8 2015 9:07 PM In reply to

Thanks Job.

QT 7 is already on the system and the AVID codecs are on it as the operator can open and play the clips but, as I said in the original post, Get Info only tells us "DNxHD 709". There maybe a map somewhere that can tell me what flavour of DNxHD that is but I need the operator to be able to make a list of all the clips and confidently identify their codecs so we can make decisions about what comes next and how much effort we have to exert to get these clips to the edit system. There's no guarantee they're all the same codec.

I'll see if MediaInfo can be installed on that MacMini, via a sneakernet USB key or something.

• Thu, Jan 8 2015 9:40 PM In reply to

I just did a test of MediaInfo on my system and with the first clip I chose, a DNxHD36 convert of R3D footage it isn't really specific. Can't seem to link to a dropbox photo or upload one but here is the video info cut and pasted from MediaInfo.

Onec again, I guess one could ascertain the DNxHD from this info but it seems unusual to me that it should be so obscured.

• ID : 1
    • Format : VC-3
    • Codec ID : AVdn
    • Codec ID/Info : Avid
    • Codec ID/Hint : DNxHD
    • Duration : 1mn 8s
    • Bit rate mode : Constant
    • Bit rate : 37.7 Mbps
    • Width : 1 920 pixels
    • Height : 1 080 pixels
    • Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    • Frame rate mode : Constant
    • Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    • Color space : YUV
    • Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    • Bit depth : 8 bits
    • Scan type : Progressive
    • Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.727
    • Stream size : 305 MiB (100%)
    • Language : English
    • Encoded date : UTC 2014-09-30 19:38:38
    • Tagged date : UTC 2014-09-30 19:44:34
    • Color primaries : BT.709
    • Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    • Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller