Latest post Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:57 PM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:43 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

PCM MXF audio with Media Composer/Protools workflow?

Hi,

I've been sifting through the Avid manual and came across something that surprised me.  It said one must import wav or aiff OMF audio into Media Composer, if the audio was going to be going to Protools for audio sweetening.  I have always kept my audio as pcm MXF, because I wanted all my media to be in the MXF format.  Am I wrong to do this?  Do modern protools systems not work better with MXF than OMF?  Does anyone have any idea why the manual would make this statement?  Is it just out-of-date information?

Note: On Page 199 of Media_Composer_Editing_Guide_8.0, it says:

You should elect AIFF-C or WAVE when you need to transfer media files directly to a Pro

Tools system for audio sweetening. 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: PCM MXF audio with Media Composer/Protools workflow?

That's pretty ancient information. I'll report it.

PT can surely handle MXF. I know that some versions of PT worked slightly faster with AIF or WAV, but that was a few years ago and I haven't heard that since then. All of my productions are done with MXF media, although they may relink to the original BWAV's and add WAV sound effects, but there definitely will some MXF in there as well.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:08 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Great.  Thanks, Job.  Good to know!

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:43 PM In reply to

S.Clements:
    It said one must import wav or aiff OMF audio into Media Composer,
    I would guess the exact wording of this may make a difference as for me Import wav into MC could be read differently from import audio as wav media.

S.Clements:
    You should elect AIFF-C or WAVE when you need to transfer media files directly to a Pro Tools system for audio sweetening
    To me this suggests the export option (whatever audio format your project is set to. PCM MXF?) should be set to AIFF-C or WAV

FWIW since (at least) PT9 and MC 6.5 I have been able to give the audio suite a copy of my Avid MediaFiles\MXF\x media folder (project set to MXF) and a AAF. The Protools session can then play both the vision and audio from my Avid timeline.

• Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:57 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    To me this suggests the export option (whatever audio format your project is set to. PCM MXF?) should be set to AIFF-C or WAV
    The three options you have are PCM-MXF, OMF-WAV and OMF-AIF-C. It's probably old, old info.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller