Latest post Sat, Nov 22 2014 9:41 PM by astw. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 22 2014 9:26 PM

• astw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2011
    • Posts 22
    • Points 285

Subclips different audio/video durations and with cuts

Hi everyone,

Running Avid 8.1 on a 2014 Mac Pro, though I've seen the same thing happen on Avid v7. It's a really bizarre behaviour that I cannot figure out.

When syncing sound on a narrative feature, I make one long sync timeline, and then make subclips of each take from the timeline (using the method where you sub-sequence each take, select all sub-sequences and hit autosync, which turns them into subclips). 19 Days into the shoot and subclips have been behaving normally - where a subclip will be trimmed to the duration of the shortest clip - whether that be audio or video - for takes where audio and video durations differ (so if sound rolled after camera rolled, and sound cut before camera cut on a take, the subclip will start where the audio starts and end where the audio ends and the mute sections of the take will not be included in the subclip). 

BUT now (and bear in mind I have seen this happen on a couple of rare occasions in the past, on different projects, systems and Avid versions) on the Day 20 sync sequence, subclips DO NOT shrink to the audio-video duration (so on clips where audio cut early, the full clip is included in the subclip with the mute section at the end) AND on one take with two different audio clips (so audio cut halfway through camera) I don't get the error message "a sequence with more than one edit has been detected and will be ignored?" and a subclip is succesfully created. 

I tried to get to the bottom of it and it seems random - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I opened the project with these 'special' subclips on another machine (also 2014 Mac Pro, Avid 8.1) and the clips open and play fine and can be edited into sequences. I have used a random audio take on a random video clip, purposely cut the audio short, and in some cases the subclip will shrink to the audio duration and in other cases it won't - I can't seem to consistently replicate it.

Can anyone shed light on why this might happen - is it a bug or is it intentional? If intentional, what are the 'rules' for it? Note that in terms of our media, nothing has changed. We are working in the same project, same camera, same sound recordist, same transcode method as every other day of the project. 

Screenshots here for proof! 

Many thanks.

astw

PS. I recall this happening on an entirely differnt project once, and the subclips were made on Avid v7, but when the same subclips were opened on Avid v6 an error came up and the subclips could not be played. Very strange.

• Sat, Nov 22 2014 9:41 PM In reply to

• astw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2011
    • Posts 22
    • Points 285

Re: Subclips different audio/video durations and with cuts

I should also add that it would in fact be preferable if Avid gave you the option of having different audio / video durations in subclips - I'm just very wearing of taking advantage of the current situation as I don't know if it will cause issues later on or if it is in fact a bug. I'm making sure audio/video is same duration when making sub-sequences (before turning them into subclips) at the moment. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller