Latest post Wed, Nov 26 2014 4:13 PM by Monique Chia. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:44 PM

VHS capture with Mojo ?

I have some VHS tapes to digitize. MC 5.5. If I get a Mojo SDI will this work as a transcoder to get the VHS into MC?

Thanks, Monique

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 6:01 PM In reply to

Re: VHS capture with Mojo ?

Monique Chia:
    If I get a Mojo SDI will this work as a transcoder to get the VHS into MC?
    Yes.  

FWIW with VHS inputs I have always achieved a far more stable and less noisey transfers by first copying the VHS to DV tape. Then capturing from the DV tapes. It also gives you a timecode source that you can batch capture from if you ever need to go back to an original source tape.

• Fri, Nov 14 2014 3:02 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

The Avid Mojo DNA (older model) is analog.  I used the Mojo DNA for a long time but since it isn't supported with versions past 5.x, I use a Canopus ADVC 110 for analog input or output.  The box connects via Firewire and handles input and output but not both at the same time.  The Mojo DNA would allow for analog capture while also sending video to an analog monitor.  The Mojo DNA is probably still available on sites like ebay.  The Canopus ADVC110 can be found more readily and from more places.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Fri, Nov 14 2014 8:11 PM In reply to

What version of Avid MC are you using?  Are you saying you can use the Canopus ADVC 110 with MC versions past 5.5?  I want to upgrade at home but have a lot of analog tapes I need to convert.

TIA

George

(2) Avid Media Composer 6.5.5, Nitris DX, HP z800, 16 Gb of ram, 2 Tb internal storage, 2.5 Tb Avid VideoRaid external storage. Avid Isis 5000 with 12... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 15 2014 5:54 PM In reply to

(Andrew) I was trying to avoid having to do it twice, but now look at the mess I am in.

(Scott) I wish I would have gone the ADVC110 route. I would probably be done by now :-(

I got my mojo working, but it just won’t work on you” – Muddy Waters

Well, my mojo is not working, sad to say. I know I am wayyyy behind the curve (MC 5.5, Mojo SDI) but not earning money professionally makes it hard to keep current.

So I got a client (yea!) who wants eight VHS tapes transferred. No problem I thought. But my (also old) AG-DV2500 would not work as transcoder – for some reason not passing the audio (32kHz problem maybe?). So I thought it would be a perfect time to pick up a Mojo SDI as the prices for these things have dropped dramatically.

Mojo installed OK, it posted fine according to its LED indicators, Windows 7 found it right away and found a driver it was happy with, Avid sees it when I launch MC - I just cannot get it to capture. I am going from VHS (composite) to Mojo SDI and out to MC through Firewire.

I have a lot of inconsistent clues as to what might be wrong.

CAPTURING

Initial attempts to capture resulted in two Blue Screen crashes. Hasn’t happened since. Most typical problem is video on capture screen but no audio level meter activity. Trying to capture anyway results in various error messages Exception: DIOProducer – no DIO support for video format, and this one, Pyromaniac: Prepare Video Confidence – send message failed.

And then, in one estatic moment, everything seemed to work – video playing on the capture monitor, audio levels displaying – looks perfect, made a clip in the bin. But when I try to play the clip I get, Exception: A Device on the 1394 bus causing problems. Please remove it or disable “Output to DV Device” – FTStatus Code – FT_linkinitializationFailed – FlmethrowerLinkManager: OpenLink – Failed to create link object.

PLAYBACK

Existing projects/clips play fine with Mojo powered off. The same project with Mojo on shows a still frame and will not play. Toggling between 1934 & DNA: project plays fine on 1934, project will not play on DNA – sometimes just not responging but more often Exception: ADVAAudioDev: Unable to prepare DV device for audio output. I switch to 1394 and everything works perfectly. Switch back to DNA and try to play the clip and now get this error message, Exception: ADM_DIO_OUT_SET_FRAME_QUEUE_MODE_FAILED. Back to 1394 and the clip plays perfectly.

When attempting to play an existing clip (with DNA enabled) I have also gotten this error message Exception: A Device on the 1394 bus causing problems. Please remove it or disable “Output to DV Device” – FTStatus Code – FT_linkinitializationFailed – FlmethrowerLinkManager: OpenLink – Failed to create link object. Again, turning off DNA and everything works. I have a TI chip firewire card, only Mojo connected to the card, nothing else.

I HAVE TRIED:

- Swapped DVI cables with no change.

- Swapped Firewire cables with no change.

- Numerous reboots.

- I read about W-7 problems with the Firewire drive so I rolled back to the legacy driver but no change. Went back to “updated” drive and MC would no longer launch, Always asks to power cycle the Mojo. Power cycle has no effect. Requests it every time I try to launch MC. Rolled back to the legacy driver and MC launches no problem.

Well I am willing to try anything if anyone has the patience for any troubleshooting suggestions. If not I am totally frustrated and out of ideas. I have read the Mojo manual. I have read through the (numerous) forum posts people have reported trying to get their Mojos to work. I just cannot get my Mojo working.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Nov 15 2014 9:10 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

George, I've used the ADVC110 with MC 6.x, 7.x and 8.x.  It doesn't need an Avid driver.  It's just a generic device in Windows and in MC you simply capture 1394 video and audio.

Monique, I've only used the Mojo DNA and have no experience with the Mojo SDI.  I did have problems sometimes getting the DNA to remain connected and working.  Sometimes powering down the computer and the Mojo and then making sure the Mojo was up and ready before starting the computer helped things.  When I was using Windows XP, I didn't have a problem with the DNA.  With Vista and W7, it was hard to keep it working.

That brings up a couple of possibilities:  If you have a system on which you can set up XP, try that.  If not, you could try setting up XP in a virtual environment on W7.  You can download the means to do this from Microsoft (Virtual PC along with XP Mode).

I think Andrew meant to use a deck or camcorder with DV output to copy the VHS tapes onto first, then use MC to capture from there via DV.  It sounded like you tried to use something as a passthrough.  If you haven't tried it, maybe you can do the copy-then-capture method and get things moving.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sat, Nov 15 2014 10:08 PM In reply to

Hi Monique, I have ingested VHS for years. I have used Adrenaline which was Mojo's big brother. I have used ADVC 100. I have copied to Beta SP (and BetaSX) and captured that via SDI and I have used copy to DV tape. Without a doubt the best quality transfer by a country mile is to copy to DV and capture that. (You can use DV Cameras, DV Decks and DV Clamshells for the VHS transfer to DV)  

Yes it is two stage but the copy to DV is simple Press Play Record on DV recorder and Play on the VHS deck then forget it  till the tape runs out. As well as a good picture this solves lack of timecode issues and eliminates Avid stopping capture because of breaks in the VHS picture (Camera cuts) as you capture from the DV device using a continuous Dv recording. You could even suggest to the client that they will get a DV backup of their precious VHS.(at a small extra cost of course)

If you do not have the Mojo attached to your system can you capture DV from any DV device? If not I do not think that either the DV option or the ADVC 110 option will work for you at present. IMO something is not right with your Firewire setup. I do recall having a similar issue but it would have with MC version (with firewire connected Adrenaline) way before MC5.  I had to (well actually I used a smarter IT person than me) completely uninstall all firewire drivers from the system including from some MS safety driver backup process) and then clean install the applicable firewire driver.  (this may not be your issue)

If  capture from other DV devices is possible do you know anyone with an earlier of later version of MC that you can attach your Mojo to. Does it work with their computer?  My best guess is that the Mojo needs to have its firmware updated or backdated. This should happen (automatically) when the Mojo is attached to a version of the software that has a different firmware requirement.  The Mojo must be powercycled immediately after a firmware update. If that works then you will need to attach the Mojo to your computer and go through the firmware revision process again.

Post how you go, there have been a number of Mojo users here (I am not one) who will have posted experiences with similar to the symptons over the years

Good Luck. 

• Sat, Nov 15 2014 10:49 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,390
    • Points 97,050

Monique, I've picked up on this late, because I had previously seen that this thread related to Mojo which I have never used.  However on Sunday mornings I often go through the posts I've skipped.

I have used both the ADVC 100 solution and the transfer to DV approach.  I'm right with Andrew on this.  Beg, borrow or steal something that will record to either mini DV or DVcam and use that.  It's far and away the most painless technique I've used.  You will have a repeatable capture source with timecode.  As well, the signal processing that happens when you transfer to DV subjectively improves the noise performance of the VHS playback.

It also irons out playback stability problems.  If you try to capture with the ADVC 100 and your playback has more than slight skewing and tearing this can break your capture or at least seriously degrade performance.  Somehow the DV capture seems to iron out that problem to a fair degree.  Well, it does on my DSR-11, anyway.

I'm so much a fan of the intermediate DV approach for SD archival transfers that I gave away my Canopus box years ago.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 16 2014 6:15 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Hi Monique, I have ingested VHS for years.

I tried it once but it gave me indigestion. Ha-ha-aha-ha-aha. Sorry, wierd sense of humor.

OK, now Im serious. Thanks for your detailed answer. It is appreciated.

I am going to follow your suggestion. I have used your method once before. I just thought I could do it in one clean shot with Mojo. But if the quality is better I am for that. The VHS tapes are 2-hour tapes, but my AG-DV2500 takes the larger DV tapes so I have a easy workaround there. And, to answer your question, i have never had a problem getting footage in by firewire using the 2500 deck or my DVX-100 camcorder. Only with Mojo.

Since composite input is not working, and I don't see component in my future is there any reason to keep the mojo? If I ever upgrade from my MC 5.5 Mojo is no longer supported so I would lose all Mojo at that point. Just wondering.

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Nov 16 2014 5:47 PM In reply to

Monique Chia:
    MC 5.5 Mojo is no longer supported so I would lose all Mojo
    I thought you needed to get back to the swinging 60's to recover your Mojo. Otherwise develop a closer relationship with "MiniDV" (and you thought your sense of humour was weird?)

Monique Chia:
    Since composite input is not working, and I don't see component in my future is there any reason to keep the mojo?
    Probably not. FWIW my AdrenalineHD still works so well I will be keeping a MC 5.5 licence in order to keep using it.

• Sun, Nov 16 2014 8:09 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

Andrew’s suggestions are spot on. I logged many, many hours of tape into Avid systems over the years (but not recently) via firewire from VHS connected by several Canopus analog digital converts and directly from Sony miniDV & DVCAM decks. The Canopus boxes do the a nice job but sometimes the signal "burps" and Avid stops logging.

If you can reliably ingest media from your Panasonic AG-DV2500, Andrew's suggestion is the way to go. Full size DV cassettes are available in up to 276 minutes duration so you don't even have the nuisance of splitting one 2 hour VHS tape across two 63 minute miniDV tapes. Crash recording from one deck to another doesn’t require any babysitting so you can do two per day with zero overhead by doing one before going to work in the morning and another before going to bed.

Do you have both mojo and ag-dv2500 connected to your computer at the same time? If so, try disconnecting one. Avid’s configuration guideline for my computer model includes the warning do not use a PCI 1394 card and only connect video hardware to the front panel port. PCI conflicts with PCIe (at least for this purpose). Was your computer an approved model? If so, search the knowledge base for the corresponding configuration guideline.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 17 2014 1:42 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 462
    • Points 5,095

Hey, I heard there is a meeting of the "Avid Wierd Sense Of Humor" club here. For all those that have Mojo indigestion problems I brought this!  

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Nov 21 2014 3:22 PM In reply to

• RuffKut
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 12
    • Points 200

Slightly off topic, but here's a neat way of getting the best possible picture from VHS (whatever method you use to get your footage in to Avid).

It's a bit of a long process, but it's worth it.

The 'noise' on a VHS tape is random (unless you have a glitch on the tape), so if I'm ever called upon to use a VHS source, I always capture the footage a few times (say four - but you could do more).

Once captured, lay capture one down on V1...then lay capture two directly over the top on V2, but at 50% opacity, then three on V3 at 25%, four on V4 at 12% etc etc.You can play around with the opacity to see what works best.

This has the effect of smoothing out all the noise in the footage, making it as clean as possible.

TaDa!

MC 8.4 | HPZ400 (Quad Core Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12gb RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 3800, Windows 7) | Quadrus Shared Storage (15TB RAID 5) | 1.2TB Local Storage | Twin... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 21 2014 10:08 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,390
    • Points 97,050

Hey!  Don't give away all the secrets!

I use the same technique to get clean freezes of footage with high levels of camera noise.  In your example, not only will the noise get cleaned up, the edges will too, at the cost of some slight softening.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 26 2014 4:13 PM In reply to

RuffKut that is an interesting idea for cleaning up the VHS but since I cannot get the Mojo working I can not get VHS into MC. So I am going with Andrews approach.

How are you syncing up your video tracks?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller