Latest post Thu, Nov 13 2014 11:01 PM by taloftus. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:20 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Need to move media to new drive?

Hi all...am working on a video and I inadvertently put some of the media on the wrong hard drive. I did a search but found the info confusing. What would you recommend as the best way to move media clips from one drive to another?

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:22 PM In reply to

Re: Need to move media to new drive?

Easy way is to consolidate the clips and point the media to the right drive.

Other than that use reveal file and physically move the files at explorer level.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:03 PM In reply to

Hi.

Reveal file is your best friend.

CV

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 2:39 AM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

Avid MDV is your friend.  Here is a link with some info:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/7209.aspx

I have been using the program for over 5 years and I consider it essential for any Avid editor. 

Good luck!

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 6:37 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Taloftus, thanks so much. I tried Avid MDV and it worked great!  Definitely an essential program.  Thanks again!  Happy Holidays!

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 7:16 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Oops, spoke too soon.  When I opened Media Composer, it still shows clips on original drives. How do I re-link to the clips that were moved to the new drive?  Not sure what to do next. any help appreciated.  

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 7:30 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Now I am panicking. I moved the clips to the :F drive, but when I open MC and go to the project, the clips in the bins are still showing up at their old location on the :E drive. When I put the old drive in, the clips are not there, everything is showing "media offline".  Help!!  How do I get these clips to show up in their new location?

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 7:47 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

MDV allowed me to move the clips to a new drive, but when I go to MC, the clips in the bins still show the old location, on the :E drive. How do I get MC to see the clips or link to the clips in their new location, on the :F drive?  Getting desperate, any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 8:15 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

Make sure the media was moved to the drive in the correct folder structure

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/#

delete the msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb files in the folder

Avid will rebuild the database and link to the new location.

Good luck!

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 8:17 PM In reply to

• dingo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Grinnell
    • Posts 339
    • Points 4,045

Go to the orininal drive and take those avid media files offline (put an x in front of the avidmediafile folder)  that should temporarily relink to the new ones.....or use dynamic relink on the offline files and set the relink to just the new drive location.  Does this make sense?

Gregg

MC 2020.6 on 2019 MacBook pro 64 gigs ram Symphony v2018.12 on 2011 iMac i7 48gig ram tons of firewire single drives Symphony v 2020.4. on 2019 IMAC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:28 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Path is:  computer/drive :F/Avid Media Files/MXF/1/Creating  but I don't see a folder containing the files you mentioned. Am I looking in the wrong place?  Thanks!

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:34 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Thanks, sort of makes sense, but I think I need a step by step kind of thing...I have never needed to do any kind of a re-link due to moving files around so this is a little different for me. How exactly do I use dynamic re-link? Sounds like what I need to do.  I did find the files mentioned above but was hesitant about deleting them. Will that method actually work?  

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:47 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

Hey bushfilm-

the media should not be in the /creating folder, rather the /1 folder.

In the /1 folder there should be the 2 database files - msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb - delete those and then restart avid and they should get rebuilt.

All media should be in the /# folder

good luck!

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:48 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

The only files I could find with the same names as the ones you've mentioned are in a Users/Public/Documents folder. Are these the ones I should delete?  Are you sure that deleting these files will result in a new connection to the clips, no more "media offline"?  Thanks.

• Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:59 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,705

Ok then, once I moved all the clips into the correct folder, I found the aforementioned files, deleted them and then re-started Avid. It re-built the database, and there were my clips.  Hurrah!! For he's a jolly good fellow...well, thanks.. alot!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller