Latest post Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:26 PM by Kevin Klimek. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 8 2014 7:06 PM

• rebusfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Malmo, Sweden
    • Posts 306
    • Points 3,810

ProRes Color Levels RGB/709 inconsistency

Usually I export DNxHD 185x from Avid and I always use Color Level RGB since i find that is the best way to get it in and out of After Effects, Nuke and Resolve and for compression in Squeeze.

But today I was unsure if the producer had any Avid codecs installed on his computer so I exported a Quicktime ProRes HQ with Color Level RGB thinking it would yield the same result. It did not. I got crushed blacks and clipped whites in Quicktime Player and current AE. 

I then exported using Color Level 709 and this time the file looks identical to a DNxHD 185x using Color Level RGB. Confusing and very inconsistent behaviour, to say the least.

To complicate things:
    A video mixdown of the sequence as ProRes HQ and an export using same as source with Color Level: RGB creates the same result as a ProRes HQ 709 without selecting same as source. 

This means that deselecting the Same as Source checkbox and exporting the exact same essence will create completely different color levels in the Quicktime..

Should I consider this a bug or is it still supposed to be this difficult to get proper levels in and out of Avid.

I am on MC 7.0.3

TL;DR

DNxHD 185x | RGB = Correct Levels
    ProRes HQ Mixdown | Same as Source | RGB = Correct Levels

Inconsistent behaviour:
    ProRes HQ | RGB = Crushed Blacks and Clipped Whites
    ProRes HQ | 709 = Correct Levels

Avid Media Composer 8.3 | OSX 10.9.5 | Mac Pro dual quad 3.46 GHz | 48 GB RAM | Caldigit HDPro 8 TB RAID 5 | Decklink Studio | JVC DTV1710 HD... [view my complete system specs]

Jorgen Persson

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Oct 8 2014 8:22 PM In reply to

Re: ProRes Color Levels RGB/709 inconsistency

If you choose a Custom codec when exporting from MC, you are essentially using QT Pro as the encoder. QT codecs fir H264 and ProRes are very prone to gamma issues. It's also slow, as it is 32bit.

If you want to preserve color levels, transcode or mixdown your sequence to ProRes _inside_ MC, then export Same As Source.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:26 PM In reply to

Re: ProRes Color Levels RGB/709 inconsistency

QuickTime tends to auto-adjust ProRes files so they appear RGB even if they are exported 601/709.  That's why the mixdown suggestion is the way to go.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller