Latest post Wed, Oct 8 2014 11:58 PM by Mondo. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 7 2014 9:14 PM

AMA XDCAM question

Hi 

I have a question about batch import, or re trancoding. 

I have ingested most of the material for a show with AMA, from XDCAM cards on a HD. 

I have ingested in XDCAM 50MB. mostly. But 2-3 cards I have chosen DNxHD36 for some reason and it looks bad.

So I now have the option of eddiingt the show and then import the shots in DNxHD 36 again. Or I just reimport them now and swap the DNxHD 36 with XDCAM 50MB. Well that is how i want to do it, just swap media. But what is the whay to do that?

Batch import? transcode again? Delet the media and reimport? ( I dont like deleteing).

WHat it the best whay? 

I am running AVID MC 8.0 on Mac

Thanks

AVID MC 7.0.3, Macbook Pro, Retina, Mid 2012, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, OS X 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:34 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: AMA XDCAM question

emilnikkhah:

Hi 

I have a question about batch import, or re trancoding. 

I have ingested most of the material for a show with AMA, from XDCAM cards on a HD. 

I have ingested in XDCAM 50MB. mostly. But 2-3 cards I have chosen DNxHD36 for some reason and it looks bad.

OK you ingested with AMA? I take it you mean you AMA linked and then transcoded?

emilnikkhah:

So I now have the option of eddiingt the show and then import the shots in DNxHD 36 again. Or I just reimport them now and swap the DNxHD 36 with XDCAM 50MB. Well that is how i want to do it, just swap media. But what is the whay to do that?

Batch import? transcode again? Delet the media and reimport? ( I dont like deleteing).

WHat it the best whay? 

I am running AVID MC 8.0 on Mac

If you AMA linked and transcoded you should be able to edit your sequence and then re-link to your original AMA files at the end of the edit process and either video mixdown or transcode your sequence to DNxHD. Before doing this I would check out tutorials to make sure you haven't broken any links to the original media. Try YouTube or search this site for the Avid whitepapers.

I would use DNxHD 120 instead of XDCAM if it were me -smoother to edit with. DnxHD 36 is intended for offline use only.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Oct 8 2014 9:49 PM In reply to

Hi 

Thanks 

So you are saying that I can relink to my orginal AMA files? and retranscode? 

When you transcode AMA files you get new files. And we then delet the AMA clips that i connected to the files on drive. Is the link broken then?

cheers

AVID MC 7.0.3, Macbook Pro, Retina, Mid 2012, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, OS X 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 8 2014 11:58 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Probably still OK - as a test just drop a couple of the transcoded DNx36 clips into a timeline. Now take your transcoded media offline (don't delete the media just hide it from Avid by either disconnecting the media drive altogether or renaming your Avid MediaFiles directory to say Hide Avid MediaFiles - don't worry you can rename it back later and Avid will find the clips again).  AMA link to the original clips in a separate bin and select the matching clips in that bin.  Now select the timeline you've just created and right click and choose relink.

Choose selected items in all open bins. Your .new clips should now relink to the AMA material in a new timeline. If it doesn't then you may have broken the links and you'd be better starting from scratch and following one of the numerous online tutes available.

If this test works don't forget to change the name of the Avid MediaFiles directory back.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller