Latest post Thu, Dec 11 2014 1:10 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 4 2014 3:24 PM

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Migrate 2x32TB ISIS 5000 to 1x64TB ISIS 5500

Hello

We're juggling a bit with our ISIS chassis in the company and with out dragging up the complete back story and bore you to death this is what needs to happen:

Background

2x32 TB Isis 5000 has to be migrated to 1x64 TB ISIS 5500.

Plan

The current plan is to configure the Force10 S60 with a new VLAN so that both System Directors can be accessed through one client over 10Gbe. That client should then use Avid Data Migration Utility to copy data from 2x32 ISIS to 1x64 ISIS.

Open questions

* Can the migration utility copy data between ISIS'es or was it only for Unity to ISIS? 

* Have any one done something similar? Is this the best approach or are there better ways?

* Can we migrate users, groups and permissions as well or would we have to set that up manually?

* Have any one confed the S60's with another VLAN. Reading the doc and have poked around in the switch but would be nice to hold someones hand while doing it. ;)

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? =) 

Cheers and thanks Geeked

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 5:24 PM In reply to

Re: Migrate 2x32TB ISIS 5000 to 1x64TB ISIS 5500

I did something similar but only for fun.

You need to modify your configuration.

Both ISIS were connected via 10GbE optical to a Force10 switch. Both are in different subnets! Use a PC and dual connect the client EXCEPT each port has a different IP based on each subnet. Single client connection will not work in my experience.

ISIS Connection Manager will show you both ISIS System Director. User (or Admininistrator) has the same password across both ISIS.

You CANNOT use Migration Utility. It is designed for Unity to ISIS only. I tried ISIS to ISIS and ISIS to Unity. It did not work.

Use RichCopy to copy across the files.

My quick tests included copying files across System Directors at the OS level. I opened 2 different projects and simple play test. I even opened a sequence from one System Director in a project from another System Director. Again, my test was quick and for fun. It seems to work but I cannot guarantee it.

Addendum - I did this on a Mac also but RichCopy is Windows only. In my experience OS X file copying utilities have issues dealing with Avid File System.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 4 2014 5:33 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Hey Dom

Thanks for your answer. Hahha. I love that you would do something like this just for fun. =)))

I have to ask some follow up Q's.

Let's say that these are the IP-ranges:

ISIS01: 10.10.0.0/24

ISIS02: 10.30.0.0/24

Did you set up VLANS in the Force10 for this so that you had one VLAN for 10.10.x.x and one for 10.30.x.x? 

Not sure what you mean with "single client connection" here; "Single client connection will not work in my experience.". Can you clarify?

In your tests, did you look into migrating uses and workspace data? Because in your example you would have to manually recreate workspaces and users on the destination ISIS, right?

Thanks again

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 5:45 PM In reply to

NEO_AMiGA:
    Did you set up VLANS in the Force10 for this so that you had one VLAN for 10.10.x.x and one for 10.30.x.x? 

No. I used the standard Avid config (1 VLAN) but configured each ISIS in a different subnet.

ISIS 1 = 10.10.10.1 / 255.255.255.0  (each expansion chassis and client in this group in the same subnet respectively)

ISIS 2 = 10.10.5.1 / 255.255.255.0 (each expansion chassis and client in this group in the same subnet respectively)

Dual connecting the client allowed the computer to see both subnet but not allow each System Director to see each other. According to Avid engineer SD must not see each other or can cause conflict especially with expansion chassis.

I copied files over (Avid MXF folders). Copied a small project - 200GB of media and project files.

Yes both workspaces and users must be created manually.

Addendum - you can also direct connect the client to each ISIS...

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 4 2014 6:08 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Thanks Dom. Bummed that the migration tool wont work or that Avid has some other utility for mirrorin an ISIS to another one though. =/ 

Guess I'll set up something with rsync and hope for the best. Yikes. =) 

Will post about or success or failures here. heheh.

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 6:59 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,289
    • Points 28,260
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Starting with ISIS 4.2 the Data Migration Utility can be used to move complete Workspaces between ISIS infrastructures. You can use the Data Migration utility to move Workspaces between any combination of ISIS 7000, ISIS 5500, and ISIS 2000 systems; this includes mirrored, RAID 6, HW RAID (ISIS 5500 RAID 5), SW RAID (ISIS 2000 RAID 6), and unprotected Workspace. For instructions on setting up and using the Data Migration Utility see the Avid ISIS Client Guide.

This is an example of an ISIS  | 7500 and an ISIS | 5500.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 7:07 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Oooh! That's fantastic new Bob, thanks! =) 

Haven't used the data migration utility myself since we migrated from unity to ISIS so can't remember if there was an option to migrate users as well, is there? couldn't find that in the manual. Or can you manually move a users-db over from one ISIS to another?

cheers and thanks

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 7:59 PM In reply to

Awesome Bob!

• Sun, Oct 5 2014 1:07 AM In reply to

1st Question: Bob answered, yes that new version allows isis to isis (use that version even though you are using different version yourself; ie your versions are 3.5 still use the newer version utility).

3rd question: this will only migrate workspaces. Best practice,  use your domain controller for list of users. Then in isis create goups and assign those groups priviliges. That way you don't have to recreate users and permissions, only group permissions. And import users from AD.

4th question; although for production the documents state to be in a different VLAN.  Since your system is not large (<6) then you could properly ID your devices so that they dont conflict and BIND properly. (Your first two are already bound together: and Network config tool should have them setup as 10G connected to switch with their unique ID as 1 and 2. The 64T could be setup as ID 3. And not have to create another VLAN on the switch.

And yes your client at that point could access both ISIS without having to be physically connected twice. (once to each vlan).

Once you configure your swtich for a DUAL VLAN, by default it will route between the two so simply use the Remote Host option in the ISIS client to connect to the second ISIS and you will still only need one connection to the switch.

Always follow Avid stated guidelines. Your mileage will vary. But from a technical network point of view this will work.

DS

• Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:04 AM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

So the strangest thing here... In the migration utility I see both ISISes and I can login into our 2x32TB ISIS but the 1x64 refuses to take the password. Have changed admin pass a few times and tested but no matter what it says "User authentication failed for user "Administrator"". At the moment I'm trying with a single f as admin pass, and I have checked caps-lock etc etc... 

Have restarted the system a few times but can't get it. Not sure what's going on. Using datamigration utility on a mac atm. 

Cheers

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:34 AM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Oooh aaaaaaah... Oooookay. Seems like on the system where you're running the data migration utility you need the ISIS Client Manager that corresponds to the highest versioned ISIS. The 2x32 ISIS is running 4.6.x and that was the client manager installed. After installeing 4.7.2 I can connect. =) Noticed since I got "user auth error" when trying to connect to 1x64TB ISIS with old client manager, maybe they should work a bit on the error messages...? =) 

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated. =) 

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Mon, Oct 6 2014 5:05 AM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Bob, one thing I'm curious about is the "determine difference between selected source and destination workspace". Will doing this and then syncing only sync new files from source to target? WIll it also delete files that have been deleted on source on the target so that the two are in total sync?

Hoping that all of the above is the case so that we can do a sync now and later this week when swapping chassises just do a quick update of files added/deleted in the coming days.

cheers

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:48 PM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

I think, but I'm not sure, that the secret to this is in transfer preferences and "Overwrite existing files". If you don't tick the two boxes under it it seems like it's a merge operation. Not that awesomely named or described in the doc but from the looks of it, a merge is what it does. For something as delicate as this one would thing that clarity was the key thing. =) 

Odd thing is that it seems to do some sort of "will if fit" check first and that operation doesn't seem to just look at the added/changed files but all the files in the selected workspace. So for a large workspace it flags it as a fail even before you can start. =(

can someone verify that this is infact how it works?

Cheers

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

• Wed, Oct 8 2014 11:25 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Even with the fail inidcation in this instance,  run the migration.    It will only add files that aren't there.    I do this all the time.

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 7:09 AM In reply to

• NEO_AMiGA
    • Not Ranked
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 70
    • Points 835

Hi Doc Avid. =)

I'm not entierly certain how'd you do that because here the "Start migration" button is grayed out if there's a fail related to s pace and sizes. I'm using migration tool from 4.7.2 and maybe this worked in an earlier version?

If an Avid dev reads this... It would be nice if Data Migration Tool wasn't only "Data Copy Tool". Would be nice to have a total sync option so that you could sync deletions as well. A migration process is slow and with 40-50TB you probably want to start it a few days before the actuall chassis swap. Now we migrate all workspaces and before swap we do a new migration, this adds all new files but it doesn't remove files that was migrated first and then late have been deleted. This we will have to manually do with rSync or similiar tools per workspace. A bit tedious and could very well be implemented into data migration tool. After all, "all" it seems to be doing is mounting the workspaces from the two chassis and do a multithreaded copy between them? 

Cheers

NEO aka Henrik Cednert.

cto | compositor

Filmlance International

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller