Latest post Sat, Oct 4 2014 8:02 PM by dsp_418. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 4 2014 6:00 AM

• dsp_418
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2014
    • Posts 27
    • Points 335

How to find edited source clips?

Hi there,

I've an edit with several cuts from my 3 main bins each of which contains 20 to 30 clips.

At this point of the edit I can't tell what clips I've used.

I'd like to know how to find the source footage from a cut on my timeline: is there a particolar command to do that?

Besides that, does exist a way to reduce my project, keeping only the clips I'm actually using and discarding all the others?

Thanks.

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 6:19 AM In reply to

Re: How to find edited source clips?

dsp_418:
    I'd like to know how to find the source footage from a cut on my timeline: is there a particolar command to do that?

1. Open your footage bins.

2. Highlight the sequence in whatever bin it's in.

3. From the bin fast menu (hamburger menu at bottom left of the bin) click on "Select Media Relatives"

Now all the clips used in the sequence will be highlighted in all open bins.

dsp_418:
    does exist a way to reduce my project, keeping only the clips I'm actually using and discarding all the others?

4. In each bin, go to the bin fast menu and click on "Reverse Selection"

Now all the clips not being used in the sequence you selected in step 2 will be highlighted, and you can delete them.

Note: Be very careful when you do this.  If you have the wrong thing, or anything extra selected in the bin in step 2, you'll get different results than what you're looking for, and will screw your life up in a major way when/if you delete the wrong stuff as a result.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 7:11 AM In reply to

• dsp_418
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 335

camoscato:

dsp_418:

1. Open your footage bins.

2. Highlight the sequence in whatever bin it's in.

3. From the bin fast menu (hamburger menu at bottom left of the bin) click on "Select Media Relatives"

Now all the clips used in the sequence will be highlighted in all open bins.

[...]

That's great, thank you camoscat!

It works great to reduce the project.

However, for what concerns the selection is not exactly what I had in mind.

Basically what I'm trying to do is *from within the timeline*, I'd like to select one particular cut and (if there's a command) find the source clip.

Actually if there's a command that can simply load the clip in my Source Window (even better with the same in/out points I'm using in the timeline) that would be awesome!

Thanks again for your help!

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 8:26 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

alt - ctrl - c on a pc will copy what´s between the marks on the sequense to the source viewer.

Alt dragging it from the source viewer to the bin will also place it there

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 9:49 AM In reply to

dsp_418:
    Basically what I'm trying to do is *from within the timeline*, I'd like to select one particular cut and (if there's a command) find the source clip.

Match frame is the command for this.

dsp_418:
    Actually if there's a command that can simply load the clip in my Source Window (even better with the same in/out points I'm using in the timeline) that would be awesome!

ALT+match frame will load the source clip with any previous in/out marks, but if you've made new in/out marks since editing the clip into the sequence, they won't match whatever is in the sequence, I'm afraid.

Tomas' suggestion will load only the marked material into the source window, but not the rest of the clip.  Depending on your goal, this might help, too.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Oct 4 2014 8:02 PM In reply to

• dsp_418
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 335

Great!!

Thank you so much Carl and Tomas!!

Match frame is exactly what I was looking for, but ALT + CTRL + C might become useful as well.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller