Latest post Tue, Sep 23 2014 8:40 PM by Job ter Burg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 23 2014 3:54 AM

Changing Avid Aspect Ratio

How do I change the Aspect Ratio for my Avid Project? I have black bars on the left and the right. I can't go from 16:9 to 4:3 as it is blured out as I right click. Did I make a mistake when I imported my video? Do I have to re-import everything or can I change it midstream?

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:48 AM In reply to

Re: Changing Avid Aspect Ratio

What is the actual geometry and aspect ratio of your footage?  What project type did you choose?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Sep 23 2014 5:27 PM In reply to

The original file was an .mpeg converted to a .mov and the resolution is 720 by 480. In Avid, I set the Project type as 1080p/29.97, Aspect Ratio is 16:9 which means there are black bars on the right and left side, but the screen isn't stretched, but the resolution of this project rendered comes out to 1920 by 1080.

I try to change the project type to 720p/29.97, and there is no change.

• Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:43 PM In reply to

There is no 4:3 in HD. So you would need to switch to an SD project (which would also match your source footage's canvas size).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:53 PM In reply to

How do I switch to an SD Project? Does this mean I have to start a new project and import the file into Avid again? That is going to take forever. The footage with the black bars on the side looks fine, the video ratio look good and it is not stretch. I was just wondering how to get rid of the black bars on the side.

• Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:56 PM In reply to

Robert Perrett:

How do I switch to an SD Project? Does this mean I have to start a new project and import the file into Avid again? That is going to take forever.

you can go to the format tab on the project window and choose SD. No need for a re-import

Robert Perrett:

The footage with the black bars on the side looks fine, the video ratio look good and it is not stretch. I was just wondering how to get rid of the black bars on the side.

it has applied a reformat effect.  you can change the reformat from pillar bars to allow you to zoom in, or use the frame flex to zoom in on your 4x3 footage to occupy the 16x9 aspect ratio.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:57 PM In reply to

You should be able to switch the project format to NTSC 30i.

There is no way to get rid of pillarboxing once it is encoded into the source file, as you have done. If you did a File->Import, then you're looking at a re-import.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 23 2014 8:22 PM In reply to

How do I crop the black bars and turn into a background under the video? I don't want to re-import, and have to redo the project just to get the right aspect ratio. I didn't know that is so important before I started.

• Tue, Sep 23 2014 8:40 PM In reply to

Add a Picture-In-Picture effect, set the scale from 50 to 100, use the Crop paramaters to crop the L and the R. Place on V2, place background on V1.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller