Latest post Thu, Sep 18 2014 3:14 PM by JimDuffy. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 3:27 PM

• JimDuffy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte)
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,115

Copying All Media as QT Files

One of our clients is now requiring us to deliver all of our field footage (shot on XDCAM and imported to Avid MC via a PDW-U1) as QT files on a portable hard drive at the end of each project. The only way I can see to do that is to Export all the media as QT Movies from each bin directly to the hard drive. But this is taking all day and tying up our only Avid system. Is there another quicker way to copy all the media from the bins to a separate hard drive?

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX, Ver. 6.0.4; HP Z-800; Dual Quad Core, 2.93 GHz, 6GB Windows 7; Intel Xeon X5570 2.93 8MB/1333 QC CPU-1 & 2; HP 6GB ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:39 PM In reply to

Re: Copying All Media as QT Files

If you use the Avid Export and choose a custom codec it will be very slow and you risk issues with QT gamma shifts etc.

What codec are you using in the QT file?

You could export QT ref files and then use squeeze or similar to make the files int he background?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:04 PM In reply to

• JimDuffy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,115

I just kept the "Use Avid codec" box checked.

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX, Ver. 6.0.4; HP Z-800; Dual Quad Core, 2.93 GHz, 6GB Windows 7; Intel Xeon X5570 2.93 8MB/1333 QC CPU-1 & 2; HP 6GB ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:27 PM In reply to

QT Ref, then encode using Squeeze?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:36 PM In reply to

• JimDuffy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,115

A few issues with using Squeeze...

- It, too, ties up our Avid computer during its processing (since Squeeze lives on the Avid computer). We'd need to buy an additional computer for the edit suite to move the files and process them off the Avid.

- You'll see by another post I made here a couple of weeks ago, that we're having problems with Squeeze when going to QT files. Part way through the processing, the video jumps back a few seconds and randomly repeats a shot or two, throwing the rest of the project out of sync with the audio (and obviously the repeated shot is unacceptable). 

- The time needed to manually import the hundreds of shots into Squeeze doesn't make sense either. 

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:46 PM In reply to

Not sure what version of Squeeze you are on. Some versions support Watch Folders, which would make this way easier, and you could set it up so you can do it overnight.

I wonder, though, were there no proxies on the original XDCAM disks?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:55 PM In reply to

• JimDuffy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,115

We have the latest version of Squeeze. I'll look into the Watch folders. Never used that before. Regarding the proxies on the XDCAM discs, how would that work? The client wants full 1080p rez on their copies of every shot.

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:00 PM In reply to

Not sure, I think last time I did an XDCAM job that there was a bunch of automatically generated proxy files on each disk, which the producers would use for spotting. I don't think that was full HD, though.

Not sure if Watch Folders are in Squeeze or only in Squeeze Pro. But do check, it is very simple to set up and a huge timesaver.

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:39 PM In reply to

• JimDuffy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,115

The proxies are low-rez, just used for producer logging and picking soundbites. I'll check into the Watch Folders. As long as each clip doesn't have to be manually imported I guess it might work. But there are about 300 to 500 shots per project that will need to be converted to QT, so anything that can't be done in batches won't really work. I'll check it out. 

I was hoping there was some sort of media archiving tool out there that could also be used in a situation like this client request. Anyone know of one?

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 12:34 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Watch Folders work great in Squeeze.  You can even set finished files to automatically upload to an ftp or other publishing options.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:02 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

If you can get a second system with Final Cut 7 on it, you can use Log and Transfer to ingest the discs directly to a drive. This rewraps the footage to Quicktime MOV in the XDCAM codec.  This might actually be what your client is looking for.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:54 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 360
    • Points 4,555

Rather than re-encoding everything couldnt you persuade your client to just have the actual mxf files? Any edit system adobe fcp etc can import mxf files.

You'd just need to give them the full rez mxf files from the clip directory only on the xdcam disk.

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2019.8 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2018.12.7 2x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:06 PM In reply to

• JimDuffy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,115

John-- We don't really want to have to buy another computer and put FCP on it just to do this. There are space and budget issues with that. We're not even getting paid for this extra work. It's just an "oh, by the way can you do this for us" type thing. They're a good client of ours, so of course we said Yes, but we didn't realize how long the Exports were going to take from Avid.

Pheral-- I've asked my editor to look into the Watch Folders in Squeeze, assuming we can figure out why we've been having Squeeze problems (mentioned earlier) when compressing to QT.

Ant-- Not sure how to get the MXF files from the XDCAM disc clip directories to a separate hard drive. What's the work flow there?

In searching for solutions on Creative Cow, I saw a post about a free program called Media Copy 3.0 by Automatic Duck that seems like it might work for us. But I can't get anything to download from their site. Does anyone know if they're still in business? There's no Contact Us info on their site.

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:22 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 360
    • Points 4,555

As you have a U1 (like me)

Insert xdcam disk into U1

In windows explorer (my computer) navigate to xdcam drive (say e:)

Should hopefully see clip, component, edit, general, proav, sub and user data folders.

open clip folder

Select all mxf files. Not xml ones.

Copy and paste to a HDD in folder called say 001 for disk 1.

Then repeat with next disk into 002 etc.

You can copy the whole structure if you wish. Although that will give them the proixies too.

If you can get your hands on a U2 it'll be a whole lot quicker too!

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2019.8 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2018.12.7 2x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:23 PM In reply to

If you're moving things from XDCam source media, and you still have that source media - I'd say Sony's Content Browser software is worth a look.  There's an option to Export to FCP, but all it really does is re-wrap the raw media as MOV files using the appropriate XDCam codec - including timecode.  I did that just this week, actually - worked great (though it was with XDCamEX, which may work differently from what you have).  Would that be what you need?

Alternatively, if you want to give it to them as XDCam structure, you can either use the "Copy All" function in Content Browser, or drag individual clips from the raw media, to another folder - and it will automatically reconstruct it in the XDCam folder structure.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller