Latest post Sat, Sep 13 2014 3:24 PM by rachinc. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 2:01 PM

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 17 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

Why isn't the find tool working for me?

I know that Premiere has this feature where you can right click on a clip in the timeline and say Reveal in Project (so I can see where that clip LIVES in the project). I wondered if Avid had an equivalent? And I figured the find tool was the equivalent. SO I'm watching this video on Lynda.com about how to use the find tool. 

http://www.lynda.com/Media-Composer-tutorials/Using-Find-tool/153854/154159-4.html

So I open my bin, which has AMA linked 5d Mkiii clips in it. And I can CLEARLY see that one of the clips in that bin is called "UD1A0339". So just to see IF THE FIND TOOL EVEN WORKS, if I pressed Command F to bring up the Find Tool, I have the "Clips and Sequences" tab highlighted, and in the box that says "Find:"  I type in "UD1A0339". Then I press enter, and it immediately says "No Results Found". Why is that??? How did it not find "UD1A0339" ??? I know it exists. I can see it in the bin, so why wasnt my search able to find it?!?!?!  What am I doing wrong? So frustrating. 

Ok that didn't work. Now I typed in "339" instead in the find box and pressed enter. And it says "Searching..." and that white circle thing is spinning in the corner. And it's been doing that for probably for 5 minutes now... It just says "Searching" and nothing is happening. 

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Yes the Bin Index light is green. 

I went to the Settings tab, and it said it was looking in the footage folder within my drive. So I changed it to "Default". It reindexed itself. Then I went back to Clips and Sequences tab within the Find window, chose "Current Bin" as the option under the "Search" dropdown, unchecked "ignore case", typed in "339" in the search, pressed enter and BAM! It found it in the current bin. That's great and all but what if I dont know what Bin the clip is in?! Then the "Current Bin" search won't find what I want. So now I changed it from "Current Bin" to "Bins in Project", hit enter.... and it just says "Searching" and nothing is happening.  This is really frustrating. Finding footage shouldnt be this hard. Why is this search tool not working? I'm so confused. I dont have these issues in Premiere or FCP.

I'm trying to show a screenshot, but in order to add a picture into this forum it says I need a URL...(lame). So I uploaded my screenshot to PostIMG.org, and inserted that link into the picture box and it's coming up as a question mark in this window so heres the link to my screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/umtynbitp/

Filed under: ,
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 2:05 PM In reply to

Re: Why isn't the find tool working for me?

rachinc:
    I know that Premiere has this feature where you can right click on a clip in the timeline and say Reveal in Project (so I can see where that clip LIVES in the project). I wondered if Avid had an equivalent?

MatchFrame brings the clip into the source monitor. FindBin reveals the Clip in the bin. File->Reveal File then shows you the mediafile at desktop level.

If you ALT-FindBin from the Record monitor, it brings you the bin for the clip in the timeline.

I have no clue why the Find tool is not working for you, though.

rachinc:
    in order to add a picture into this forum it says I need a URL
    When creating a post, choose the Options tab, and choose to attach the file.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 2:21 PM In reply to

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

I know what MatchFrame does. MatchFrame doesn't tell me where the clip lives in the project. "FindBin reveals the Clip in the bin".... I'm in the FindBin right now.  I see my clip (0082PT) on the timeline. So I go to the Find bin and under "Find" I type in "0082pt", hit enter. "No Results Found." I thought you said the FindBin reveals the clip in the bin? It didn't do that at all. It said no results found. WHY?!?!? What am I doing wrong??? It doesn't seem like it works. Or its not working for me? What I am doing wrong? Why is something so simple like a search turning out to be such a difficult thing that is taking me hours to figure out.  I'm using a paid subscription of Media Composer 8.1.0.

oh and just an fyi, I want to find it in the project not the finder....but to your comment about Finding it on your desktop....I highlight the clip on the timeline with the red arrow, go to the file menu, and the option that says reveal file is GRAYED OUT!

"If you ALT-FindBin from the Record monitor, it brings you the bin for the clip in the timeline."... The record monitor is on the right I believe. So I'm on a mac, (alt = option).... So I hold down option and right click the record window.....and i dont see a find bin option. So I'm confused about what you mean by ALT-FindBin. Does that mean hold down a combination of Option+Command+F? Please elaborate, I'm new to Media Composer. Very confused by "ALT-FindBin". 

Still not able to execute a search properly. can someone please help?

• Sat, Sep 13 2014 2:26 PM In reply to

Match frame and find bin are the route to locating a clip and it's bin from a timeline.

However there are workflws that will break that process.

MC can have multiple copies and clones of clips and it's possible to end up with a timeline that has clips in it that come from bins that don't exist in the current project. So match frame may work but find bin may show no result (the bin that clip came from isn't there any more)

But it should work unless some odd things have happened with bins.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 2:56 PM In reply to

rachinc:
    I'm in the FindBin right now

I think there's a misunderstanding. FindBin is a button, it lives in your Command Palette (under the Tools main menu). Like any other button in there, you can map it to a button in the interface and/or to your keybord. If you press that button combined with ALT, it will open the bin the clip you're parked on lives in, and highlight it.

The process I described earlier were cumulative actions: park on a clip, hit MatchFrame button (brings up clip in source monitor, activates source monitor), hit FindBin button while the source mon is active (opens the bin with the clip and highlights it), RevealFile (from the bin with that clip selected) shows you mediafile for that clip at OS Finder level. Parking on a clip in the timeline, then holding ALT and pressing the FindBin button would do the first two steps in one go for you.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 3:24 PM In reply to

• rachinc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 600

Big Smile wow thank you. I held down option and pressed that button and it worked! You're the best!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller