Latest post Thu, Aug 2 2018 9:09 PM by DStone. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 11:48 PM

Import Live Video into Avid

How do I import Live Video into Avid Media Composer 8? I want to record, and have live streaming video coming in on Avid 8. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Every import video tutorial seems to have importing video from tapes. I have a digital camera that I want to record and stream video live into Avid 8.

I have a iMac 27 inch. 

I don't have Firewire on this Computer.

This computer has 

• Headphone
    • SDXC card slot
    • Four USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2)
    • Two Thunderbolt ports
      • Mini DisplayPort output
      • Support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI
        (adapters sold separately)
    • 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
    • Kensington lock slot Nothing seems to import by using the Two Thunderbolt ports with an adapter supporting DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI, I am plugging into that from to HDMI.
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 5:40 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Re: Import Live Video into Avid

I use my Matrox boxes for this, you might need one with thunderbolt connection.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Sep 11 2014 6:07 AM In reply to

With the right I/O you open the capture tool. deselect deck control deselect timecode.

Enter a manual tape name in the bottom LH window (call it live capture)

Seelct the required tracks and hit record.

However you will only be able to record for the maximum duration set in your capture setting (defaults to 90 mins I think)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 6:29 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Also to be worth mentioning here is that, if you have a good cam , maybe also with SDI out if the capture unit supports SDI otherwise HDMI works well, and fast drives you can get great results here not needing to think about the cams own encoding.

I have done successful live captures to Avid 1 : 1 x ( so ten bits uncompressed Hd ) from a FS 700 using both the HDMI and the SDI connection, quality is superb.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Sep 11 2014 12:48 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 963
    • Points 12,210

Pat Horridge:

With the right I/O you open the capture tool. deselect deck control deselect timecode.

Enter a manual tape name in the bottom LH window (call it live capture)

Seelct the required tracks and hit record.

However you will only be able to record for the maximum duration set in your capture setting (defaults to 90 mins I think)

I regularly record live government meetings using this method, with video coming in via SDI and a Kona LHi card.  I've recorded meetings that were 4+ hours long without issue (though we also have tape backup) and am apparently only limited by how much media storage we have.  The button you want to hit on the Capture tool is 'Toggle Source', which in my case has the system use the workstation's clock time as the timecode.  I created a 'tape' called Direct Feed for these live captures.

One note: we use MC v6.5 on the system that does this.  MC v7 never seemed to be stable enough to record for so long without throwing up errors and aborting the capture.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:08 PM In reply to

Robert Perrett:

Every import video tutorial seems to have importing video from tapes.

Importing is a file-based terminology. As in, you have a file that is imported into the program. What you want is capturing. For capturing you need a breakout box of some kind that you connect your camera to.

Not quite what your looking for, but many people now use a device such as the PIX240 to capture the event into a file that they can then AMA into Avid. If you ask me, it's a little better scenario because it does not require an Avid setup to be lugged to the site. Less risk of dropped frames during capture and the PIX devices can be mounted to the cameras independently allowing you to move about and not be hard wired to the Avid during the event. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jul 19 2018 8:51 AM In reply to

So it looks like I will not be able to use my simple JVC Everio cam to just hook up to my PC with HDMI cable and capture live video into Media Composer with out some kind of breakout or I/O devise...

Very limited to purchasing more than I thought I would need...

Cheers

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 2:21 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,595

Can MC still capture a live feed through a IEEE 1394 port?  It did in versions past. 

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2018 3:45 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

Firewire capture is still available in MC, up to 720p, the option to capture via firewire won't be available in HD and bigger projects.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 4:27 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,383
    • Points 43,650
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Firewire capture is limited up to HDV (1440x1080), which has a PAR of 1.33 so it displays properly at 1920x1080. It's never supported capture of HD or above.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 9:09 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,383
    • Points 43,650
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

And in 2018.7 M2T files still can't be linked or imported, nor is tape capture working over IEEE 1394. I'm going to escalate this.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller