Latest post Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:04 AM by Mondo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 7:04 PM

Linking MXF Files

I have a question in which I'm not sure if its a basic question that I should know or not.  I'm trying to find out how to match the source bin file with the MXF file in the avid media files folder.   The media is not offline,  I just want to find where the matching MXF file is in which folder, since the source bin file is labeled differently.   Does that make sense?   When I originally loaded the footage from these projects I didn't put them in seperate labeled folders, just one massive folder, and now I want to seperate them.  

Thanks!

Brian

• Wed, Sep 10 2014 7:34 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,443
    • Points 17,810

Re: Linking MXF Files

Good, you're on a PC.  With Avid closed, use mdv avid http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/ in the windows explorer to separate your projects into different folders.  You must retain the root dir:/Avid MediaFiles/mxf/#folder structure for Avid to find them.

This isn't really necessary for working in Avid -- but I'll assume you have other good reasons for doing it.

• Wed, Sep 10 2014 7:51 PM In reply to

Thanks smrpix!  It worked perfectly!   Yes

• Thu, Sep 25 2014 8:17 PM In reply to

One more question smrpix,  I'm not locating the sequence file, I'm finding all the effects in the sequence (motion effect, matte key, etc.) as .mxf files, but not the main sequence.  Do you know what avid created folder it may be in?

• Thu, Sep 25 2014 8:22 PM In reply to

The sequence won't have an MXF file. the sequence is just metadata that is made from the clips (and effects etc)

So you need to locate the MXF files that make up the clips in the sequence.

With the sequence in a bin on it's own. Click on the bins fast menu and choose Bin display. Then tick the show reference clips. You will now get a list of clips that make up the sequence. Select any one and right click and choose reveal file to find the actual MXF file for it.

Don't forget to turn of show reference clips when done.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Oct 8 2014 5:11 PM In reply to

• Sam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Chatterjee
    • Posts 50
    • Points 705

Hello...

My problem is somewhat close to this...I can see the files in the bin and could find the media files in MXF folder but can't relink them. Recently I had to reinstall the os and the drive letters were inadvertently changed.

I don't know if that's the reason!

But I desperately need to relink those media files to the master clips in the bin as well as some sequences.

Would you please share a thought on this...how the files in the bin can be online using relink method?

Thanks

Thanks

Core i3, Mbo Intel DH 55 TC; 2.93, 2.93; 12 GB Xion, NVDIA Quoadro FX 580, 2.5 TB, MC 7.0 OS: Win 7 Pro [view my complete system specs]

sam chat

Filed under:
  • Wed, Oct 8 2014 7:07 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

Hi Sam-

If the mxf files are in the proper folder structure (Drive:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1\) delete the msmFMID.pmr & msmMMOB.mdb files in the folder.  Avid will rebuild the databases and should point ot the proper drive/folder.

Good luck.

tom

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 10:05 AM In reply to

• Sam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Chatterjee
    • Posts 50
    • Points 705

Hello taloftus...

Did that a couple of times but to no avail. Can see the media inside MXF folder...but yet to be able to relink it successfully. It's 7.0...is there any plug ins issue?....There is no question of exetrnal disc and all the files sit on internal HDD.

Some of them are old project and difficult to retrieve from other sources.

Please help.

Thanks

Core i3, Mbo Intel DH 55 TC; 2.93, 2.93; 12 GB Xion, NVDIA Quoadro FX 580, 2.5 TB, MC 7.0 OS: Win 7 Pro [view my complete system specs]

sam chat

Filed under:
  • Fri, Oct 10 2014 1:05 AM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Have you unchecked 'media from current project' in the relink window? If you drag the mdb file into a bin do the correct clips populate?

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:04 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Sam:

Hello taloftus...

Did that a couple of times but to no avail. Can see the media inside MXF folder...but yet to be able to relink it successfully. It's 7.0...is there any plug ins issue?....There is no question of exetrnal disc and all the files sit on internal HDD.

Some of them are old project and difficult to retrieve from other sources.

Please help.

Thanks

Sam, looking at that image your audio appears to be online.. Are you completely sure your video files are still present in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 directory? You can usually tell by the size of the files. 

When you deleted your .mdb and .pmr files did Avid rebuild the database as described? If so run MDV (link earlier in this thread) and you will be able to see what media inside your media directory is linked to which project.

BTW - having media stored on an internal drive is not a backup strategy. You do have your media and projects backed up elsewhere don't you?

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller