Latest post Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:36 AM by Pat Horridge. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 6:58 PM

Re-linking RED transcodes back to R3D camera masters?

Another R3D/RED workflow question here. Because it's RED and workflow, there's no short story for this, but the bottom line question is "how do I get my transcoded dailies relinked back to my 5K camera masters"?

I shot a short film on a RED Epic. I used the method detailed in the blog post to get my dailies from Red CineX-Pro to Media Composer. This was the most thorough workflow I could find, if there's a better one out there, please point me to it!

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-avid-red-workflow/ 

Basically, his method is to use RED CineX-Pro to transcode my full-size dailies down to DNX115 mxf files with all the metadata you could want, and use an ALE to import that into Media Composer. The return trip to RED CineX-Pro is through a CMX_3600 EDL... BUT the trouble is the CMX_3600 EDL only uses the first 8 characters of the tape name, and my tape name is the full original RED file name.

So my EDL reads like this:

FCM: NON-DROP FRAME 

001  A004_C00 V     C        17:40:44:22 17:40:55:19 01:01:25:17 01:01:36:14 

But my full clip name and source name is: A004_C003_07259J

So when I return trip to RED CineX-Pro and import my EDL, I get a slug in the timeline that doesn't re-link to the source media.

My end goal is to get my sequence re-conformed in a platform where I can color correct and export some 5K shots to After Effects. Anyone successfully gone this route? Any ideas for how to get around that 8 character tape-name limit?

2.266 Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro [view my complete system specs]

Follow me on Twitter: @jeffrey723

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 8:19 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Re: Re-linking RED transcodes back to R3D camera masters?

Have you tried relinking back to the R3D files in Resolve via AAF? That's what I'd do.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 8:46 PM In reply to

I've been trying an AAF, but Resolve might be the only piece of software I haven't tried yet. Will see if they have a demo software and give that a go.

• Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:15 PM In reply to

Resolve Light is free.  Don't remember the limitations, but it is free.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:29 PM In reply to

Jeffrey Williams:
    the trouble is the CMX_3600 EDL only uses the first 8 characters of the tape name
    This is what the File16 EDL Template was designed for. CMX3600 allows for 8 characters max, and EDL manager lets you choose how to truncate, but File16 allows for 16-character tape names. File32 similarly allows for 32 characters.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:31 PM In reply to

My old tower only has 10.6.8, so Resolve Lite won't run. Going to download it onto my Macbook Pro that has 10.8 and try that out.

In the interim, and for posterity, I've had some success bringing an AAF into Premiere. First I had to manually install some RED importers from here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/redepic_importer.html

I think I'm having some frame slippage issues but that's a problem for another forum.

Ideally Resolve Lite will bring my AAF in without trouble. If that happens then I'm good through my color correcting and I can finish mastering in Premiere since my AVID won't do a 2K master.

• Thu, Sep 11 2014 1:42 AM In reply to

• Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Points 895

This is a workflow we use all the time. First we transcode the RED R3D footage to DNxHD36 for the offline edit. Then we take the Final Offline Sequence into our Symphony suite, Decompose the offline sequence. AMA link to the original R3D files, then relink the decomposed clips to the AMA linked R3Ds. We apply Source Settings to the R3D files as required, then transcode the R3Ds to DNxHD185x for grading. It is quite reliable these days. You will need the latest RED AMA plugin.

Media Composer with Symphony option v8.10.0, MacOSX 10.11.6, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 4:25 PM In reply to

Interesting. Are you finishing at 1920x1080 or a higher resolution? What generation of MC are you working with?

I am living in the technological dark ages, and this project is going to be the last major project on my trusty old Snow Leopard/MC5.5.3 running tower. 

• Tue, Sep 16 2014 2:53 AM In reply to

• Twosheds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Points 895

We are finishing at 1080P running MC7.0.4, we were running MC6.x successfully in this same config though. 

Media Composer with Symphony option v8.10.0, MacOSX 10.11.6, Avid DNxIO [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:36 AM In reply to

As Job says use File16 or file32 EDL template to return non truncated filenames back to RedcineX

Or do the conform in MC (or Symphony) which is quite possible. Or send the AAF to Resolve for relinking and grading for greater than HD outputs.

Not a complex workflow nowadays.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller