Latest post Thu, Jul 5 2018 8:27 PM by Heff. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 28 2014 11:33 PM

• Heff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 40
    • Points 480

Fix for UK DPP Shim??

When will there be a fix for the faulty uk DPP shim v1.1 in AVID version 7?

it has the wrong start code in the MXF wrapper and is missing the HD/SD flag in the metadata,

Which causes it to fail BBC Batton QC tests.

We really need this fix ASAP as file delivery starts in just a few weeks!!

Any chance of getting this posted next week????

Z620, AJA IoExpress, MC 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 29 2014 7:07 AM In reply to

Re: Fix for UK DPP Shim??

The start timecode has been fixed in V8.1 I understand they are looking at rolling that back to V7 as well but I expect that will happen in one go with a number of other bug fixes. No idea on timings.

Are you getting as failed validation in the DPP metadata app? Isn't that supposed to be the tool to verify the AS-11?

I know videapps was falgging the incorrect wrapper timecode but vidapps are removing that test as it's not relevant.

One of the issue we all face in the coming months is the minefield of what to test and what not to test.

The DPP guidelines state clearly what should be tested and those mandatory tests have to pass.

Broadcasters aren't supposed to be doing additional tests. if they are they aren't following the DPP guidelines they have agreed to adopt.

I'm seeing AQC fails on all sorts of issues that aren't related to AS-11 compliance.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Aug 29 2014 3:29 PM In reply to

• akharkev
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 28 2010
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200
    • Avid Employee

Heff,

Could you please provide more information about the issue with “HD/SD flag”?

Is it Aspect Format Descriptor (AFD), Aspect Ratio, Signal Standard, frame dimensions or something else that is wrong?

Would it be possible to get the exact error message from the validating application?

Can the issue be detected by the DPP Metadata Application?

Is the error in HD or SD files?

What is the type and aspect ratio of the Media Composer project that you exported the file from?

Regarding timecode: The main issue is that some validation applications look at wrong copy of timecode, ignoring the one that AS-11 designates as the authoritative program timecode. As far as the specification is concerned Avid AS-11 files do specify correct program timecode. Still, having the secondary timecode different from the primary made no sense and was a bug. It was fixed in 8.1 and will be fixed in the next MC7 patch. At the moment I don’t know the ETA for the patch but if I’m able to find out I will let you know.

Thanks,

Alexey

• Fri, Aug 29 2014 3:53 PM In reply to

• Heff
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 480

Hi Alexey.   The issues are not flagged in the DPP tool as the file is validated without any warnings.   I have asked BBC engineering to forward me the report. If I get it, I will e-mail it to you directly, if you let me have your e-mail address.   I can also send you a wetransfer link to the file in question, the DPP xml sidecar, and the vidcheck report.   please e-mail me off forum.   Thanks,   Joe  

• Fri, Aug 29 2014 4:24 PM In reply to

I've raised th issue in the DPP Linked in forum.

My understanding is that if the DPP app is happy it's compliant.

The dpp mandatory checks don't include those parameters so it's possible the BBC are testing beyond the DPP requirements. Which would make the idea of a spec a bit meaningless.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Aug 29 2014 4:36 PM In reply to

• Heff
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 480

I am only at the early testing stage with BBC, so it's premature to pass judgement on their tests,

as these have not been locked off yet. I will update this and the DPP linked In forum when I can.

• Thu, Jul 5 2018 8:27 PM In reply to

• Heff
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 480

Can anyone confirm that Media Composer Version 8 and above now exports DPP compliant AS11 files?

This would save many hours having to re-wrap through the DPP tool.

Heff

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller