Latest post Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:20 PM by Panty. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 25 2014 9:03 PM

• Panty
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2014
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Linear Dodge equivalent in MC

Hi everyone,

I've been following a tutorial based in Adobe Premiere, as I couldn't find one for Avid Media Composer (converting Stereoscopic AVCHD files to old-school Anaglyph).

All well and good until I have to blend the two video tracks. In the tutorial (posted below, around 6:30 into the vid) the Linear Dodge blend mode is used to mix the tracks into an Anaglyphic image. However there isn't such a function (as far as I'm aware) in MC, so a bit stuck as to what to do.

Any ideas? 

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZzlF-HKPo

• Mon, Aug 25 2014 9:48 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

Re: Linear Dodge equivalent in MC

That is one of the shortcomings of Media Composer keying. you can use apply modes in Boris Continuum Complete or Sapphire plugins.

http://www.borisfx.com/avid/bccavx/ 

http://www.genarts.com/software/sapphire/avid

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:36 PM In reply to

Which version of MC did you originally buy.

If between MC 6 and MC7 you should have Avid FX which will work with MC8. Open Avid FX  and look at the Composite Mode Then the Apply tab anb you should find a range of blending modes there. Sorry I could only check with MC8 with Boris Red 5.5  (the paid update for Avid FX) at present

• Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:37 PM In reply to

• Panty
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Ah how annoying, they're out of my budget.

Thanks very much for responding though. Luckily I haven't taken the plunge and got my own 3D Camcorder yet, may just have to get a second GoPro and the 3D rig for now and use Cineform.

Cheers,

Jamie

• Mon, Aug 25 2014 10:38 PM In reply to

• Panty
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

AndrewAction - I'm on 6.5, will give that a go in the morn and get back to you. 

Thank you!

• Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:56 AM In reply to

• Panty
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Just gave Avid FX a go - doesn't seem compatible with many video file types - can't get in Avid Exports with Avid Codecs or files straight from my 550D.

I've just had a quick look and there are buyable programs to convert Side by Side 3D to anaglyph so that's opened up the possibility of still going with one of those camcorders.

• Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:07 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

Were you launching Avid FX as it's own application? If so, that isn't the way to use it. While in Media Composer, drop the Avid FX effect on your shot. Then in the effects manager, click on the box in the upper left. That opens the Avid FX application with your shot from the timeline already in it.

3D Cube Avid FX - YouTube  How to apply Avid FX.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:08 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

Much like Adobe Premiere Pro switches over to the Adobe After Effects interface when editing an After Effects composite, Avid Media Composer switches over to the Avid FX interface when working on Avid FX composites in the Media Composer timeline.

Using up to six tracks form the Media Composer timeline for an Avid FX composite.
    Using up to six tracks for Avid FX.

Another great thing about how Avid FX works, is that you can keep all the tracks of a composition in the Avid timeline. This allows you swap out tracks used in your composite without going back into the Avid FX interface - something else that is not possible in the Premiere / After Effects integration.

Avid FX can sometimes be frustrating if you're used to the way that Adobe After Effects works, but once you get used to working the way it does, it can be a very powerful tool. I love having an integrated compositing application within the Avid timeline, using the native Avid media (or AMA media). This is a big deal for media management.  Tracking and managing sources is so much easier if all of them are contained within the Avid Media Composer - no exporting and importing.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:20 PM In reply to

• Panty
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

TCurren, thank you. I wasn't aware that Avid FX could be opened within MC, no. That's great, I'll look into that for sure and find some tutorials for it later today.

I originally found MC a bit frustrating having came from Premiere but now after using it for a few years I wouldn't go back. Guess that's just Avid products for you.

Cheers,

Jamie

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller