Latest post Wed, Jul 30 2014 11:46 PM by joshdvx. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 4:21 PM

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

Little Endian + Big Endian & Same as Source + Custom Export

Hey,

So I have a client that specifically wants a Little Endian instead of Big on the final broadcast master QT.

I've tried two options:

1. When I do a Same As Source QT Avid by default gives me a Big Endian.

2. The alternative was to choose custom and export a DNXHD 220 10bit QT, however, selecting Direct Out in the audio export settings doesn't seem to actually follow direct out and instead of 4 channels (direct out) gives me 2 stereo channels that seems to be following. (Attatched screen shot shows the settings in the QT box, I've attempted to turn the 'sound' section off, and changed to stereo & mono. ) Is it possible to somewhere edit the default SAS export settings?  Do newer versions of Avid allow Custom QT's to have discreet audio channels? I'm on a Z800, Avid Symphony 6.5.4.2.

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 4:28 PM In reply to

Re: Little Endian + Big Endian & Same as Source + Custom Export

Do they actually really need little Endian? It used to be an issue as it relates to the order of the 2 bytes to make the 16bit audio work. But it's been very many years now that software has been able to workout the order.

It's quite likely the audio will work just fine despite the spec definition requiring it one particular way.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 4:33 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

Pat Horridge:

Do they actually really need little Endian? It used to be an issue as it relates to the order of the 2 bytes to make the 16bit audio work. But it's been very many years now that software has been able to workout the order.

It's quite likely the audio will work just fine despite the spec definition requiring it one particular way.

It's a broadcast requirement from the networks NOC. Highlighted in red and everything. lol

Avid DNX 220 10bit
    PCM, Little, 48, 24bit audio. 

I guess also a followup, What is the difference between a signed and unsigned Audio Format setting?  It seems SAS gives me signed, but custom QT gives me an unsigned.  (Not important to the above but just curious for myself). 

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 4:48 PM In reply to

I think it's a bit complex but my understanding is 8 bit audio is unsigned 16bit is signed but the complexity comes around working out the mid point of the data to produce the positive and negative swings needed to make a speaker make a noise.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 7:25 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

Hmm, so if in the audio project settings I change the default codec to wave on a Mac I get a little endian in my same as source export on avid mc 8. But if I do that on the PC I get a big endian still.

EDIT: Tried on a Mac running 6.5.2, still Big.  So something seems to have changed in Avid from newer verions from 7 - 8.0...  Wonder which version will let me do it. heh.

• Wed, Jul 30 2014 11:46 PM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

Solution Found.

The Specs for digital delivery for Bravo require a DNXHD 220 10bit QT with PCM Audio, Little Endian 48khz 24bit.

If you set these defualts, in both Media Creation & Audio Project, when you go to make a SAS QT file, it will default to those options.  

HOWEVER somewhere between Avid 7.0.2 & Avid 7.0.4 Avid changed the default from Big Endian to Little Endian, so the ONLY way to export a digital delivery QT file, is to export it from an Avid 7.0.4 on Mac or PC. Any version of MC/Symphony Less than 7.0.4, (We only confirmed it on 6.5.4 & 6.5.4.2 & 7.0.2) will export the audio as a Big Endian.  

We're solving this by finishing on a 6.5.4 Sympony, and then creating a mixdown which gets exported from the 7.0.4 system.  

So it is possible to make a perfect QT that meets their specs without resorting to QT PRO, Tape, FCP.  
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller