Latest post Wed, Jul 9 2014 4:41 PM by dugmoore. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:03 AM

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 7 2011
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Sequence will not play after color correction in MC8

Hello,I have inherited a project on MC 8, 27" iMac OS 10.9.2.This is an HDV project.

After color correcting the sequence it staggers and will not play back properly. I have rendered it out.

Just checked the drives and it is on a FAT 32 formated drive so I am copying the media to a G-Tech Drive so I can deliver this ASAP.

I am getting a message that the copy will take 6 hours ( 100 gigs). This seems a bit crazy.

I was told that the Fat 32 USB 3 drive is new, but am wondering if it could be failing.

I know I should have cheked the drive beforehand but I have not seen a Fat 32 drive in an edit bay in a very long time.

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: Sequence will not play after color correction in MC8

dugmoore:
    After color correcting the sequence it staggers and will not play back properly. I have rendered it out.

Are there any little blue, yellow, or red lines in the TC track after attempting playback?  That would be a clue if they're there.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:17 AM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

No, there are not any dots. :(

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:19 AM In reply to

How does the rest of the system match up with the system requirements?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/media-composer/specifications

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 11:33 AM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Thank you Camoscato,

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

I thought i5 was OK, could that be an issue?

It is Z5 media, I would have thought this would be able to handle it.

I also trashed MC state, Site settings, rebuilt the media databases.

Thank you!

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 12:47 PM In reply to

FAT32 isn't an issue as a source drive (lots of tapeless formats are recored onto FAT32 for compatability) but Avid media needs to be created on an HFS+ (or NTFS for PC) drive. But file system won't really impact speed.

USB3 should be fast if connected via USB3 (and not in a USB2 port or via a non USB3 hub) Some drives need external power or they run slow and some drives are USB3 but internally have cheap slow laptop drives so the actual drive throughput is very slow.

I'd look at a drive test app and actually test the read and write speeds of the drives involved to see what the issue is.

When you render what resolution are you rendering to and where is that rendered media being stored?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:28 PM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Thank you Pat. We were told to render at DNxHD140 or higher.

On my phone typing this as someone else is looking at this now. We are stumped.

Thank you again.

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:50 PM In reply to

DNX140 is a good choice but it is probably nearly 6 times the datarate of your HDV sources which will be 25mbps so 25mbps to 140mbps is a big throughput increase.

HDV is harder to decode but that's processor workload but light on drive and connectivity demands.

DNX140 is lighter on processor demand but higher on drive and connectivity.

I'm sticking with you having that DNX140 media stored somewhere too slow to get off in realtime

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 2:34 PM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Thank you Pat.

I have never tried this, but I'm considering re-transcoding to DNxHD 85 and relinking.

Or will this have to be re-cut?

Thank you again.

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 4:37 PM In reply to

The simple option is to transcode your current sequence to DNX85 as you are coming from a higher datarate. The more elegant is to re-link back to the original and then re-transcode. But I'd go the easy route first.

As a test you could try doing a video mixdown at dnx85 of some or all the timeline and then play that and see how it performs and how the quality looks compared to the higher datarate.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 4:41 PM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

Possible problem:

It appears that one of the drives can't "talk" to the other drive...I think it is a segmetation error or sorts. One file can copy to all other drives (to and from) except for one. On that drive it is going incredibly slow when it copies a small file.

It also appears that there is some corrput media.

I am hoping that I can re-import from Z5 cards and relink.

Fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller