Latest post Thu, Jul 3 2014 5:58 PM by Tom Pearson. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 3 2014 2:58 AM

• tjgiardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Media Composer: Adjusting Image Size, Subtitling, Logos, and Transitions

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if I should be asking a few separate questions, but this is easiest for me. I am working on a webcast project that requires me to edit a video. Here is exactly what i'm working on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sp64laWgI

I'm having a few problems in Media Composer, please help if you can:

1) Quick Transitions are not working on 1 video clip against another clip, im assuming because clip 1 is a .mov with audio and clip 2 is a .psd with audio track not beginning until a few seconds after start of video. The error message i'm getting is saying not enough handles, but using the custom option, I can't adjust anything anyway, no matter where I place the cursor to place a transition between the two clips.

2) I have a .psd file that was imported as a title page and for some reason when I resize the image to fit how I want it, its blurred. This shouldn't happen, as it doesn't in iMovie and resolution was fine prior to importing in media composer.

3) I need some help with subtitling. When the two kids are singing this song in the video, words should be highlighted in yellow and white, the settings are very tricky to me.

4) I need to import a .psd logo which will be a PIP (picture in picture) sitting in the corner of the video. How do I do this? And how do i resize/rotate the imported logo image?

In conclusion, I'd really appreicate some general help on all of this! The video above, was edited in iMovie, and I wasn't able to address three things because of iMovies limitations, thats why i'm using Avid. Thanks!

• Thu, Jul 3 2014 3:21 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,350
    • Points 60,435
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Media Composer: Adjusting Image Size, Subtitling, Logos, and Transitions

It appears to me that you could benefit from viewing a few of the many video tutorials here on the forum.

There are also hundreds of MC tutorials here.

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.6.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 3 2014 4:56 PM In reply to

When you cut 2 shots together you have to leave unused material at the end of the first shot and unused material at the start of the seocnd shot. These are the handles the transition needs to use, Hard cutting two shots leaves no handles.

Either re-cut using in and out points a short way into the content or trim.

The logo probably needs an alpha channel and to come in as a matte clip to be keyed over the background. not a PIP.

The title tool is the simplest way to do what you want but it is limited so you may want to look at otehr options.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 3 2014 5:58 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,173
    • Points 23,315

as for resolution is  fine just what res is it?  And have you tried to make it a 4k resolution and then convert  it to a jpeg in photoshop  and use pan and zoom in avid to size it to the size you need? 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller