Latest post Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:07 PM by Ken Lewis. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 1 2014 6:34 PM

• Ken Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • West Sussex UK
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,840

Avid_ Boris RED_ Matrox Mini Compatibility

Hi

I cannot get Boris RED to update on my TV that is connected via the Matrox Mini. Everything else works on the Matrox. With AvidFX it updates instantly even quicker that the PC update.

I have tried the following:

Updated to Avid 7.0.4

Updated to Matrox 7.6

Boris RED 5.5

Deleted all the normal files MC State, Site Settings, Site Attributes and Project Settings.

Uninstalled Boris Red and installed AvidFX and it works perfectly. Reinstalled Boris RED again will not work.

I have reverted back to AvidFX for the time being because it works.

I also had a problem where Boris RED in Avid was very slow to respond and after typing in the text window and then leave the text window the same text in the COMPOSITE window jumps to about 100% larger and not in the position I set. After contacting Douglas, remember him, I reset Boris RED to factory settings in Avid and displays then worked correctly. I had already rest them in the standalone version but it didn’t improve it.

Any help please

Ken

Giabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 2.66Ghz Intel I7-920 Quad Core HyperThreading processor, 3x 2Gb DDR3 1333RAM-CL9, 1x 320GB Seagate/Western Digital 7200rpm SATA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2014 6:41 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Re: Avid_ Boris RED_ Matrox Mini Compatibility

Hi Ken, if I understand correct here, your problems with Matrox preview are with Red standalone whilst Red from inside of Avid works well, is that correct.

If so, what media is loaded into Red standalone.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jul 1 2014 7:07 PM In reply to

• Ken Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • West Sussex UK
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,840

Hi Tomas

That is not correct. It is the other way round.

I have never had Matrox showing standalone programs.

If I’m working in Avid with AvidFX I could always see it working and updating on my TV via the Matrox output and it was instantaneous. So if Boris RED is open as an effect in Avid I should see it following my actions.

Ken

Giabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 2.66Ghz Intel I7-920 Quad Core HyperThreading processor, 3x 2Gb DDR3 1333RAM-CL9, 1x 320GB Seagate/Western Digital 7200rpm SATA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 1 2014 7:14 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Ok, thanks.

I notice that you are using an old Quadro 1800 card, do you have the textfile manipulated so that you can see " certified GPU (..edit..)  detected " on the splash screen at Avid upstart.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jul 1 2014 7:43 PM In reply to

• Ken Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • West Sussex UK
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,840

I’m assuming you are talking about the bottom of the start-up but it goes so fast I can only see initialising.

I’m not sure what you mean “do I you have the text file manipulated” so that you can see

I am under the impression that AvidFX and Boris Red are the same beast and if one works, shouldn’t the other one?

Ken

• Tue, Jul 1 2014 7:57 PM In reply to

Ken Lewis:

I cannot get Boris RED to update on my TV that is connected via the Matrox Mini.  help please

Check the Preview menu / OpenGL Mode submenu / and make sure OGL mode is set to Off. That is required for update to Avid client monitor while in the Avid FX (or Boris RED) interface.

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Tue, Jul 1 2014 8:23 PM In reply to

• Ken Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • West Sussex UK
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,840

Thanks Dirk but it is already set that way.

AvidFX works but not Boris RED.

I had to uninstall AvidFX and install Boris RED

Ken

• Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:41 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Just did a fast morning test on a system similar to Kens and distributed processing is not forced to be on so the textfile isn´t manipulated.

With a FX 1800 card I get preview with Red 5,5 and Avid 7,04 with Matrox drivers 7,6 , I have to checkmark " auto update Monitor " from the top bar.

Maximum open GL mode is supported on this system.

Tomas 

• Wed, Jul 2 2014 7:56 AM In reply to

• Ken Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • West Sussex UK
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,840

Hi Tomas

A very good morning to you.

Thanks for your test and the solution. It works.

You have made my day and I can go and paint my oil tank now.

Many thanks

Ken

• Wed, Jul 2 2014 8:09 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,317
    • Points 232,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ken Lewis:

Hi Tomas

A very good morning to you.

Thanks for your test and the solution. It works.

You have made my day and I can go and paint my oil tank now.

Many thanks

Ken

Unfortunately, Ken, it is not so simple.

Now if you have Open GL on and Auto-update Monitor turned on - you will no longer be able to see your on-screen Interactors.

The combination of External monitor/ Auto-update monitor, Open GL on/off, On screen Interactors have different effects on each other - depending on what ones are on and what are off.

The onscreen interactors are, to me, more important than the auto-updating of a client monitor.

It reallky depends on what you use Boris Red for.

Regards

Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 2 2014 6:07 PM In reply to

• Ken Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • West Sussex UK
    • Posts 130
    • Points 1,840

Hi Douglas

Thanks for that but after the past couple of days I have gained more knowledge of RED/AvidFX and I also recall your in-depth tutorial on OpenGL.

Now I see I can use Ctrl+Alt+shift+P so I have found more than I had when using AvidFX. I always wondered why those green and blue arrows disappeared.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Ken

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller