Latest post Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:53 PM by Cyrus Dowlatshahi. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 30 2014 12:14 AM

• JPPendo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 30 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Media management workflow via Interplay and ISIS

I'm trying to find work as an AE in a larger post house that has these sort of systems in place to service 40+ suites... I'm trying to learn this workflow, but I don't know anyone who knows these systems nor can I find any information on the web.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what media management is like with an ISIS and Interplay? Do I copy the files via explorer? Do I use Symphony to AMA link then consolidate/transcode into bins and save the project to the ISIS? 

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jun 30 2014 10:25 AM In reply to

Re: Media management workflow via Interplay and ISIS

Working on an ISIS/Interplay setup is pretty simple for you, the editor (or AE in your case). 

The ISIS/Interplay setup is maintained by an IT professional, so most of the technical stuff is taken care of for you.  All you really need to know:

- The ISIS server will reveal itself to you in the form of a drive.  Just like having a portable hard drive hooked up to your system, you will see an ISIS drive(s).   There might only be 1, maybe 5, it all depends how the adminsitrator set it up for you.  At our studio we have 3 drives.  One of them is called "X: Media" and that's where we put our files. 

As far as using Media Composer of Symphony: you can do a traditional import, AMA link/consolidate, whatever you like, so long as you get the media onto the right drive. In our case, the X drive.

As for Interplay: There are two parts to it. 

1) For non-editors:  Interplay software can be run on almost any machine. Imagine the youtube search page, as if it were built back in the 1990s without much flare (or advertisements, at least!).  There is a video player, a search area, and a few extras ... that's what Interplay software looks like for non-editors.  It's a simple and effective tool for anymore to search any file/sequence that exists on the ISIS server.  They can also do things such as adding locators and a few other metadata items, but not too much. 

2) For editors:  Using Media Composer or Symphony over an ISIS/Interplay setup results in the editor gaining an "Interplay Window" right inside MC or Symphony software.  It is a stripped down version of what I described in #1 (adobe), except only with the search tools.  Whatever results come up from the search results, you can drag those directly into an avid bin and start using them for your edit.  As you make your sequence, other people on Interplay can see your work. 

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Mon, Jun 30 2014 12:22 PM In reply to

• JPPendo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Wow thanks! That was a very thorough and concise breakdown. A couple questions. Does this workflow change when dealing with tape media? Also do most people copy the files via explorer/finder or do they use MC or Symphony to move the files into bins? With interplay can you view view files in bins and multigroups? 

• Mon, Jun 30 2014 12:40 PM In reply to

Whether it's tape media or files, the workflow is identical as if you were not using an ISIS/interplay.  You would capture a tape to a specific drive, or you would trancode/consolidate a file to a specific drive.  In the case of having an ISIS/Interplay setup, you would merely make sure to do that stuff to the ISIS drive. 

>>do most people copy the files via explorer/finder...?

Editors will always use the Interplay Window to drag files to their bins, with the odd exception (example: graphics department makes us a custom graphic and just gives us a quicktime file to import - those files are often passed directly ot the editors and bypasses the assistants who capture/import the main camera footage).

The editors' Interplay window can view clips, group clips, subclips, or sequences, search via locators or any metadata column. The editor can customize which kind of files/sequences show up in their results, as well as searching by 'date created' or 'date modified' those sorts of things. 

Keep in mind that when the editor drags something from the Interplay window into a bin, it is instantaneous, because there's no real media creation happening.  If they dragged something from the explorer/finder, this would actually create new MXF media and take a bit of time.

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Mon, Jun 30 2014 1:05 PM In reply to

• JPPendo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thank you thank you thank you. You are clearing up so many things up that hours of google searching couldn't. Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. I go through the OS level of file management Interplay won't pick up the media? I have to go through MC/Symphony for it to be done automatically? So as an AE the only real interaction I may have with interplay would be logging/labelling/adding locators? 

• Mon, Jun 30 2014 1:16 PM In reply to

As an assistant, Interplay isn't really the tool you end up using most of the time.  Interplay is mostly for a) Non-editors who need access to footage/sequences, and b) Editors who need to find clips

When you are ingesting media, you would indeed by using the file explorer/finder exactly the same as if you were not on ISIS/Interplay. 

Interplay will "know" of any media that you place on the ISIS drive, automatically.  Every file/group clip/sub clip/etc is automatically searable and usable by all other people.

Avid GoPro

• Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:53 PM In reply to

Daniel, thank you for this. Very clear. Years later, it's still helping people!

10-core 3Ghz iMac Pro, 128Gb RAM, 16Gb Radeon Pro Vega 64 Avid MC 2018.5 OS X 10.13.4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller