Latest post Tue, Jun 24 2014 6:25 AM by Scott_Freeman. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 6:58 PM

How to batch import stills with no tape attached

Hi all!

I know this is probably a simple solution, but I'm just trying to import a batch of stills to a bin, and every time I do so, the Tape column takes on the file name of the .ALE, making all the stills show up as duplicates in a sequence.

What am I mising here??

Thank you! 

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jun 24 2014 6:25 AM In reply to

Re: How to batch import stills with no tape attached

In an Avid Bin these days, if there is not "Tape" name metadata or "Source File" metadata associated with a master clip, when importing metadata, the Avid can automatically populate the "Tape" name column with the name of whatever was the imported file name chosen. Plus, Avid can append .01, .02, .03, .04, .05, etc to the end of this file name as metadata displayed in the Avid column.

Media Tool Note - If media was pulled into an Avid Bin to create the master clip links using the Avid "Media Tool", the "Tape" column is blank.

Configurations in software can create "Tape" name metadata automatically for an Avid Log Exchange file. If this ALE with "Tape" column metadata populated is imported into an Avid Bin. For file based sources the Avid user can select those master clips and use the Avid "batch import" command. To name just one of the many uses of an ALE and the Avid. For SD NTSC, I would import an ALE and batch digitize a tape knowing which was the "A" frame for each clip to start the digitizing process skipping timecode 02, and 07.

So my question is, where did this ALE come from that you are importing?

One approach could be to rename in the ALE the "Name" column and call it "Tape" and then import that edited ALE.

Then you can have tape names that were from the name column.

Or maybe you could rename "Name" and call it "Source File", I just would have to test what the Avid would do if the "Source File" metadata is missing a suffix(like .mov, .mxf, .r3d, ...)

http://www.metadatalinks.com [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller