Latest post Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:39 PM by calc50. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 29 2014 2:07 PM

• calc50
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 30 2006
    • Northern Michigan
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,245

Workflow Suggestions for Exporting Clips to work with in other MC environments...

I am in serious need of workflow suggestions...

here the issue i contstantly find myself faced with:

I am working in a MC environment on 5 iMacs i have in a small studio enviroment.  due to budget limitations i do not have them working off a 'satalittle' video server, but rather as standalone edit stations.

Due to the nature of my work, i am constantly finding myself in need of taking small segments, shots or even completed sequences from one machine to use in a project on another machine.  

Most of my footage is coming in P2, and i usually link to ama volume, then transcode my selects when editing my finals together.  I am forever in need of rendering out clips or sequences for AE, or to put on another MC station and just cant seem to find a workflow that is even in the remote world of efficient.  I usually render to .mov using animation codec, but more often that not, this crashes MC and or just hangs it to infinitiy.  If it does work, it takes FOREVER to export even the smallest shot.  I spend more time with this than i do cutting, and it is simply because i do not have the right workflow down yet.  i like transcoding and going to QT refererence when i can, but obviosly that does me no good when i have to migrate clip to different machine.  

it would seem like if i dial in one of the avid DNXHD types that would be ideal, but their are just so many of them, and everytime i try they give me fits as well.

suggestions?  please?

• Thu, May 29 2014 2:46 PM In reply to

Re: Workflow Suggestions for Exporting Clips to work with in other MC environments...

Do all stations use the same media?  If that is the case, I would strongly recommend AMA'ing and transcoding media on one system first, then making exact copies of that media for each of the other stations.  That way, you are always using the same clips, and you can share sequences back and forth without copying meida.  You would have to render effects or create titles, but the media itself would already be there.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 29 2014 3:11 PM In reply to

• calc50
    • Not Ranked
    • Northern Michigan
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,245

Re: Workflow Suggestions for Exporting Clips to work with in other MC environments...

I never would 'duplicate' the media on different machines.

for example-  it would be more along the lines of needing a 10 second shot I have in a sequence on one machine rendered out as its own file to place in the sequence on a different machine...  i would just need to move that one 10 second piece.

• Thu, May 29 2014 3:21 PM In reply to

Then you should export "Same as Source" which would be fast and easy.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 29 2014 3:40 PM In reply to

• calc50
    • Not Ranked
    • Northern Michigan
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,245

Same as source under which setting?  send to QT movie? in the codec options?  where?

• Thu, May 29 2014 4:05 PM In reply to

In your Export setting, Export as QuickTime Movie, select the Same as Source button, and check Use Avid Codecs.  You can also select Video, Audio, or both.  Also, select 601/709 for Color Levels to prevent any re-mapping issues.

When you import on the other system, you should see "Fast Import of..." in the progress bar as the file is imported.  If you don't, check your Media Creation settings to ensure 1) you are using the same codec as you did on export, and 2) you also have 601/709 selected.

This method will output whatever flavor you trasncoded to...so if you transcoded at DNxHD 36, that's what will be exported...if DNxHD 175x, that's what you'll get.

HTH

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 29 2014 5:14 PM In reply to

If you do a same as source QT export you can copy that media to the other workstation and AMA ink it into Avid. The consolidate what you need in Avid.

BUt I'd seriously look at a central file server to help export and store those clips.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, May 30 2014 10:13 PM In reply to

• calc50
    • Not Ranked
    • Northern Michigan
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,245

ok, 

export same as source t is assuming i have already transcoded... what if i am still just linked via AMA?

do i have to transcode?

• Sat, May 31 2014 1:46 PM In reply to

If you haven't transcoded, why not just copy the piece of media you need and AMA it on the other workstation?  That would keep it the purest as it's the original file still.

If your media requires a certain file structure that makes it cumbersome to copy a single file, then yes, I would suggest transocding the clip to the highest resolution.  But then, you could simply locate the media file (File > Reveal File) and copy the MXF file(s) to the other system's MediaFiles folder, open the media tool, and move the clip into a bin.  No export/import necessary...just a file copy.

Does this make sense?

-- Kevin

• Sat, May 31 2014 11:17 PM In reply to

• calc50
    • Not Ranked
    • Northern Michigan
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,245

wow.  i will have to try that.... will that work for a mixdown as well?

as to your question about just moving the media, 

Most of my stuff is p2, and i am unaware of a way to indentify which exact shot is which within the P2 structure and then just move that specific file, without moving entire P2 folder, which obviously wouldnt be very efficient.

• Mon, Jun 2 2014 2:35 PM In reply to

calc50:
    will that work for a mixdown as well?

Yes, it will.

And as you mentioned, you can't break up the P2 folder structure, so this would be the easiest method going forward.

-- Kevin

• Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:39 PM In reply to

• calc50
    • Not Ranked
    • Northern Michigan
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,245

OMG is that simple and fantastic. why didint i learn this 5 years ago...

it would have saved me 5 years.....

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller