Latest post Wed, May 21 2014 4:47 AM by neelagrawal. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 21 2014 12:25 AM

Media Composer 7 w/ 96khz 24bit Computer Speakers

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading my post.  I have a Apple Macbook Pro running OS X Mavericks, Avid Media Composer 7 and KEF X300A 96khz 24bit computer speakers.  Generally, when I am listening to music or using my computer speakers I have to go into the Utilities Folder and select Audio MIDI Setup and set the output to 96000 hhz and 24 bit Integer.  When I open Avid Media Composer 7, the settings in the Audio MIDI program automatically revert back to the original 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz.  If I then manually switch the setting back to 96000 in the Audio MIDI Setup, it automatically reverts back to 44100 or 48000 when I play something in Avid Media Composer.  I have tried switching it back to 96000 but it always reverts back to the original settings when I go back to Media Composer and click play.  The lower HZ settings make my computer speakers distorted and they have consistent static pops.  Was wondering if anyone can help me.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Neel

• Wed, May 21 2014 12:36 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 7 w/ 96khz 24bit Computer Speakers

You could check your audio project settings options. Maybe under Hardware tab, because I guess there should be something related to the sync mode, the way the reference is setup.

But I might be wrong. It's a pity I don't have my DAC connected to my editing system, so I could try something out because I guess you are using CoreAudio as your output card, and avid takes control of it when it is on the foreground.

I got a pair of LS50 connected to my audio system, i guess those X300As are pretty sweet as well. Mind you, as for syncing, 48khz is much more suitable than 96khz, since most of the systems record on this rate, double of 24 etc.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 21 2014 12:57 AM In reply to

Hey Eduardo,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I looked under audio project settings/hardware.  It lists my speakers but it does not give me the ability to edit the settings.  (Core Audio host) is the card and (KEF X300A and Avid OHCI) are the peripheral.  Is there any reason why the Audio MIDI Setup keeps bouncing back to 48khz even though I manually change it to 96khz?  The KEF's are awesome but its frustrating that I can't use them to edit.  Thanks for the tip about synching.  I appreciate your efforts.

• Wed, May 21 2014 3:04 AM In reply to

neelagrawal:
    Is there any reason why the Audio MIDI Setup keeps bouncing back to 48khz even though I manually change it to 96khz?

It's because your project is 48 khz. You see, core audio host is OSX's audio engine, and avid takes control of it whenever it's on focused, and it will prefer to keep at 48 khz to stay in sync. Since there isn't a driver for the KEFs and it's using the standard USB audio driver, It will be difficult for you to change it. 

Maybe there's a way of forcing it via the Console but I can't help there, you need a more seasonable user.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 21 2014 3:09 AM In reply to

You gotta change the master clock to 96 khz... but as far as I know, maybe only Nitris will do it. 

• Wed, May 21 2014 4:47 AM In reply to

Hey Eduardo,

Thanks for all of the insight into my problem.  What does Nitris do and how can I get it?  As of now I'm just using a pair of headphones and plugging into the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro.  That seems to work okay.  Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Neel

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller