Latest post Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:42 PM by Marianna. 269 replies.
Page 5 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 24 2014 4:26 PM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 24 2006
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,685

Re: Deal breaker: no PhraseFind or ScriptSync in v8.0??

That sounds good on paper but with the world moving to 4k acquisition I'm finding that I have to use MC in a proxy workflow using Resolve to create the full rez master. It would be more efficent to use MC to edit and finish in 4k but that isn't an option right now when working on a documentary project where PF is a major benefit.

I suspect if PF doesn't return by the end of 2015 I'll be forced to move to another editing platform that provides both 4k and phonic search support. If Avid announced today that it was done wtih Nexidia then I would move on to something else sooner. I've resisted moving on because Avid is my favorite editor. PF is such an important feature since it saves the cost of having everything transcribed. This is a key factor in being cost effective as a freelance editor.

It is quite frustrating to move away from a platoform that I've invested tens of thousands of dollars in and start over. But thats the past and I have to look at what I can do to keep my customers served.

It still sucks.

Primary: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.2ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Windows-7 64bit, MC 6.0.3 System 2: Intel i7-920 @ 3.2ghz, 12 Gig Ram, nVidia GTX670... [view my complete system specs]

I've not opened Liquid since early 2011. I miss the old girl but life is change.

• Wed, Dec 24 2014 5:00 PM In reply to

One workaround would be to dual-boot with MC7 and MC8, activating as needed (or just leaving a dongle in there).  Use MC7 for content work and PhraseFind, and then move to MC8 and switch to a 4K project for finishing/output.

FAR from ideal, but a possible workaround/compromise that lets you stay in MC end-to-end.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 9 2015 8:10 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

Any news on PhraseFind?  It has been awhile since last report....

Filed under:
  • Sat, May 9 2015 9:18 PM In reply to

"Ongoing talks", is what the grapevine keeps repeating. 

After more than a year, I stopped holding my breath, but still got fingers crosser on both hands.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 2:24 PM In reply to

I had hoped it would have been resolved by now. I'm in the process of moving on to another product. 

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:41 PM In reply to

Not sure how that would help. Only MC offered options like these inside the application.

That said, I share your frustration.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:49 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

I am not sure what the issue is here.  PF can simply be a plug in from Nexidia that you buy if you want and if not, then don't.  Buyer beware on versions.  Call me crazy that it seems pretty simple....

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:57 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,405

Script Sync is the bigger issue. We use it all the time, and multiple editors depend on being able to match transcoded scripts to video interview quickly.

I would be happy just paying Nexidia for that option instead of paying though avid, but it doesn't seem like it's even an option.

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:59 PM In reply to

I don't think PF can be implemented with the Avid's AVX architecture for plug-ins. It probably has to be part of the software itself.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 6:18 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

Boris now offers PF for Fnal Cut Pro & Adobe Premiere....

http://www.borisfx.com/Soundbite/

How would one use Nexidia's product in Avid Bins w/o it being built into core Avid Program?

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 6:30 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,445

Boris Soundbite -- "powered by Nexidia" I might add -- unfortunately is Mac only, not integrated, "might" work with MXF files with additional codecs installed, and only exports to FCP and Premiere via XML. Not perfect but at least it's something. See http://www.borisfx.com/Soundbite/

The point though is if Boris, who I assume has less operating revenue than Avid, can figure out how to license Nexidia technology, why can't Avid?

My OP is from over a year ago (!) and still no solution or official statement from Avid. Wow. I assume all of these Oscar nominated features cut with Media Composer are perpetually stuck on v7?

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 6:46 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

i agree and i am working on doc with over 25000 of footage. I began it with PF and would really love to get it back....

Here is a little update on product i found.  I wish this was resonably priced in outboard version but check out crazy price list in video. There isn't even a standalone filmmaker option....

http://5thingsseries.com/nexidia-dialogue-search/

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 3 2015 7:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,606
    • Points 223,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks,

I have been told that we have a meeting to discuss Nexidia’s response to our proposal tomorrow.

I wont know anything right away but it is moving along.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 7:34 PM In reply to

• Arthur Klein
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica CA
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,790

Marianna:

Folks,

I have been told that we have a meeting to discuss Nexidia’s response to our proposal tomorrow.

I wont know anything right away but it is moving along.

Marianna

Hi Marianna,

Hope you are well and thank you for NEVER NEVER NEVER giving up.

Love and pranams,

A

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 11:33 PM In reply to

wkumingo:
    The point though is if Boris, who I assume has less operating revenue than Avid, can figure out how to license Nexidia technology, why can't Avid?

AFAIK, BorisFX is really acting more like a distribution channel than a developer of Soundbite.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 5 of 18 (270 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller