Latest post Mon, Dec 4 2017 4:28 PM by Marianna. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 13 2014 8:24 PM

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,905

Avid FX in Media Composer v8?

Does anyone know if Avid FX is going to continue to be a core part of the Media Composer in v8.x? I can't find any information that talks about Avid FX in the upcoming version.

It would be a shame if sequences with Avid FX become incompatible with new versions of software.
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

Filed under:
  • Tue, May 13 2014 8:31 PM In reply to

Re: Avid FX in Media Composer v8?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Media-Composer-8-FAQ#24

Q: What happens to all of the other software that came bundled with Media Composer, such as Avid FX, Avid DVD, Sorenson Squeeze, and Boris Continuum Complete? Are they available with any of these licensing options?

A: While many partner plug-ins and applications are available as “lite” versions included in Avid’s subscription offerings, full perpetual licenses for Sorenson Squeeze, iZotope Insight, and NewBlue Titler Pro v2 are available as part of the Avid Production Pack or available for individual purchase through the Avid Marketplace. Please note that since DVD production requirements have not changed in many years, Avid DVD is no longer been developed or sold.

In short, Avid FX is no longer going to be included, but if you have it already it will still work with MC 8.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, May 13 2014 8:37 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,905

Thanks for the quick response.

That makes Avid FX a total risk to use in a collaborative environment - it's no longer guaranteed that a system will be able to view sequences that use it. That's too bad, I was just getting used to using it.
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    blog.DVfanatics.com

Filed under:
  • Tue, May 13 2014 8:42 PM In reply to

mBlaze:
    Thanks for the quick response.

That makes Avid FX a total risk to use in a collaborative environment - it's no longer guaranteed that a system will be able to view sequences that use it. That's too bad, I was just getting used to using it.

We have found this to be an issue even in the past. Lots of people never even installed it!

Never been keen on external apps as part of the core workflows. Too much risk as things come and go.

Look at titling. We have Title tool and have had for just about ever.

Marquee and now new Blue titler. So do we all keep all of them on the go??

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, May 13 2014 10:25 PM In reply to

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

Now well that's disappointing. It's my favorite go to tool for end credits and minor vfx without needing to leave MC and I was just starting to get really comfortable with it. I really am not digging the idea of needing to pony up $600 a year to get access to After Effects now and needing to export/import new media. That being said...Avid FX was always kind of wonky and temperamental. 

• Tue, May 13 2014 11:10 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 565

With the AvidFX absence in the MC8 package we've lost not only text- but, first of all, roto/composition capabilities included in price... we've even lost the one and only method to use composition transfermodes in Avid MediaComposer! There isn't a free plugin to do this. It isn't fair...  What's more we've lost about 200 BCC and FEC Boris filters - not realtime but included in the price...

In the today world we have to use complete solutions. Adobe has the set Pr, AE, Ps, Au, Enc or there is less sophisticated but quite cheap Apple FCPX Motion Compressor combo. I know that AvidFX was quite old and not fast as the competition - but was... and do the job quite well and was quite tight integrated with the MC......

But now we will find for that price only Lite versions BCC, Sorenson?! and... thats all... Such a shame Avid... The "new" (old) titletool app and even older Marquee, 3DWarp and Paint effects are not enough in today documentaries creation!

Such a shame...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, GTX 970... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 13 2014 11:22 PM In reply to

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

I guess there's always the possibility of a completely new fx set that justifies this removal? Seems unlikely but none of the planned features for future versions of MC8 have been announced either. One can hope. That would soften the blow. 

• Wed, May 14 2014 7:36 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Kyle:

I guess there's always the possibility of a completely new fx set that justifies this removal? 

Dream on!

Although not a fan of Avid FX it became useful to recreate those effects that we used to have actually inside the editor effects interface. I wonder how long Avid FX will continue to work, or, as Pat alludes to, the FX may make the new V8 system unstable?

Take a look at adding the Symphony option if you want to have some FX that are worthwhile.

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 14 2014 9:15 AM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

No new features to mention in MC8 and the loss of a few we have with MC7. I guess I have till december to see if it worth to update as Avid plans to add features during this period.

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Wed, May 14 2014 10:36 AM In reply to

• Kyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,685

I have the symphony option but even that seems to be being reduced from BCC to BCC Lite. And BCC effects aren't quite the same thing as dedicated fx software. 

• Wed, May 14 2014 11:01 AM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,905

Kyle:

Now well that's disappointing. It's my favorite go to tool for end credits and minor vfx without needing to leave MC and I was just starting to get really comfortable with it. I really am not digging the idea of needing to pony up $600 a year to get access to After Effects now and needing to export/import new media. That being said...Avid FX was always kind of wonky and temperamental. 

Totally agree. Avid FX was a great tool to have internal to the Media Composer, but it took some patience to deal with its flakiness.

I guess it's back to Adobe After Effects CS6, which I find to be a slightly quicker workflow in spite of the import/export time. Rendering for Avid FX composites could take an extraordinarily long time.

James Burke
    blog.DVfanatics.com

Filed under:
  • Wed, May 14 2014 1:36 PM In reply to

Rinze Schuurman:

No new features to mention in MC8 and the loss of a few we have with MC7. I guess I have till december to see if it worth to update as Avid plans to add features during this period.

Total speculation, but think of it this way:  Avid stated that 4K and beyond is coming (well, not directly, but it's GOT to happen pretty soon).  I bet all their plugins won't work with the new video engine.  I bet all the plugin makers will have to redo their work.  Maybe they know something we don't know; perhaps there was little point  in renegotiating a license to AvidFX if both parties know that it will be a real short term deal?

Either that, or the Media Composer division is slowly just withering away, or aiming only at the offline editing market... which is also a possbility.  First, phrasefind and scriptsync, now AvidFX, and no BCC Full (even with symphony, right?) included... definitely seeing a systematic reduction in all the extras that used to round out the Avid editing suite.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Wed, May 14 2014 2:12 PM In reply to

tfg:
    First, phrasefind and scriptsync

According to a message on the Avid-L, they're still working to bring back PhraseFind and ScriptSync; it's not like with Avid FX (which is done) or BCC (which is still a thing, but no longer included).

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, May 15 2014 8:57 PM In reply to

If Avid FX is, "An indispensable tool for post-production and broadcast professionals, Avid FX offers a wide range of features right on your Avid timeline" is there another tool we can use from inside of Media composer?

New Blue does not seem to have the number of key frames on as many timelines as Avid FX does. I also notice it only has "smooth the interpolation" rather then ease in and ease out etc...

I admit it's easier to understand but I am looking for more detailed parameters in my tools so that I can accomplish all the professional moves in titling without having to outside of Media Composer.

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

Filed under:
  • Thu, May 15 2014 10:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ronald Czarnecki:
    If Avid FX is, "An indispensable tool for post-production and broadcast professionals, Avid FX offers a wide range of features right on your Avid timeline" is there another tool we can use from inside of Media composer?

Ronald,

A lot depends on how indispensable Avid FX is to you.
    Is "Free" important?

If the application is more important than the price, then Boris RED is the same beast as Avid FX. Boris RED plugs into the AVX link exactly the same way that Avid FX does. Any previous titles you have done in Avid FX will work with Boris RED. Boris RED is still going strong and still being developed.

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller