Latest post Tue, May 13 2014 3:44 PM by S.Clements. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 13 2014 12:45 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Is my audio syncing procedure alright?

Hi,

I'm wondering if my audio syncing procedure is as efficient as it could be.  Here's what I do:

1.  I lay all the picture for the entire film, scene or card out on the video track.  Then I sync up all the audio to the picture using the slates.  This is to create a "sync map" so I can go back and easy adjust sync if I need to.  

2.  I mark clip and copy both the audio and the picture to the source monitor (option+command+c on mac)

3.  I then make a subclip using my keyboard shortcut of shift +U.  This makes a subclip in the bin, which I rename according to the picture clip name.  I then paste the text ".sync" to the end, which I have saved on my clipboard.

4.  After I've created all my synced subclips, I highlight them all and go Bin>Autosync

I created this procedure for myself, so don't know if it's efficient as can be.  Am I doing things right?  Any suggestions?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, May 13 2014 1:07 PM In reply to

Re: Is my audio syncing procedure alright?

That is an interesting way of doing it that does seem to have some advantages!

The "normal" way here is, in the absence of matching timecode, mark in on the clap on the sound and picture clip, and then autosync. You need to slate the master clips so that you can match them up in the bin.

Often we can use the information in the sound media to identify this.

The .sync is only a label, so there is no need to copy it to your sync clip, indeed we make a user column in the master clip of the slate, so this can be pasted back to the clip name to lose it.

Slip perf can be used to adjust the sync.

Cat skinning various ways...

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 13 2014 3:13 PM In reply to

S.Clements:

2.  I mark clip and copy both the audio and the picture to the source monitor (option+command+c on mac)

3.  I then make a subclip using my keyboard shortcut of shift +U.  This makes a subclip in the bin, which I rename according to the picture clip name.  I then paste the text ".sync" to the end, which I have saved on my clipboard.

You don't need this extra step. Just mark the clip on the timeline and then hit your subclip key mapped to the keyboard. It creads a subsequence (subclip) and you can just select that and hit the autosync key. (map them both to your keyboard)

I only work this way if there are two cameras or the production is not so organized. I ask them to at least sync TC (1-2-3-go) with the sound recorder and use autosequence to lay them with the blank pauses (if the operators are trigger happy) in a TL so that at least there's some indication of time.

OR

If the production is ok being organized, you can always use the traditional method, marking IN and autosync the clips, but always create the project checking the Film option. This way, you can change the sync on the record window, even in steps shorter than a frame, so you get perfect sync.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 13 2014 3:44 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Eduardo Serrano:

You don't need this extra step. Just mark the clip on the timeline and then hit your subclip key mapped to the keyboard.

Aw, terrific!

Eduardo Serrano:

I ask them to at least sync TC (1-2-3-go) with the sound recorder 

Yes.  So much easier that way!

Thanks, Eduardo!:-)

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller