Latest post Fri, Dec 5 2014 11:16 PM by doc_maker. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 7 2014 5:26 PM

• doc_maker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 16 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

4K AMA Editing on Macbook Pro 15" 2013?

Hi,

I'm just starting a new project which is going to be shot in a 4K and invovle a lot of croping and I am hoping to take full advantage of the FrameFlex tool in Avid 7.0 whcih requires AMA linking to the original source files.  I'm going to be shooting 4K 10-bit pro res on the Black Magic Production Camera.  I'm also going to be using some simple chroma green screen effects (just a still image, no video) on the 4K footage.

I've read that the new 2013 Mac Book Pro Retaina 15" with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB graphics card can handle 4K workflows working directly with the source file in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.  Has anybody had any experience using the MacBook Pro with Avid 4K AMA?  Are there any issues I should be aware of?  I'm sure that the Mac Pro would handle it fine, but I travel a lot and would much prefer to get the Macbook if possible.

Any input would be greatly apprecaited.

• Thu, May 8 2014 10:55 AM In reply to

Re: 4K AMA Editing on Macbook Pro 15" 2013?

FCPX has a vastly superior playback engine than Avid.  You won't get anywhere near the performance with it, unfortunately.  It is theoretically possible, but most edit operations will feel delayed, like your playhead is being dragged through molasses.  

Also, warned against the bad design of frameflex:  if using frameflex, do not plan on transcoding your final sequence for archive purposes -- use only the original AMA footage.  The reason is due to problems (some by faulty design, some by admitted bugs) with transcoding a sequence that uses frameflex-via-timeline.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Thu, May 8 2014 6:03 PM In reply to

• doc_maker
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any advice for alternatives to using FrameFlex on 4K footage?  I want to be able to resize in Avid and then have the output in full resolution. So if I crop 4K images all of them will end up being in full 1080p resolution without losing any detail (assuming that the crop isn't less than 1080 on the 4k image).  I've read than you can import the footage first as AMA, then transcode, and then relink again to the original footage. Would that work?  Is there an alterantive?

• Thu, May 8 2014 6:15 PM In reply to

Where are you doing the final color correcting?  A lot of people are going to Resolve, which allows for relinking to the 4K material and rendering back to DNxHD 1080p for final Avid output.

In that case, you can simply use the Resize effect, and while it won't look great during the offline, an AAF sent to Resolve will include those resizes using the 4K files, automatically giving you the highest quality.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 9 2014 12:07 AM In reply to

If you want to use the full 4K image, and crop...then the only way to keep that is to do a VIDEO MIXDOWN. But that introduces lots of problems in that you can't track that on an EDL, if you want to rebuild your cut later (reimport) any section you mixed down won't refer to the original footage. 

Best to edit offline in Avid, then online on a system where you can do this resize properly, like Resolve.

• Fri, Dec 5 2014 10:47 PM In reply to

• jasperfdo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 11 2006
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 671
    • Points 8,845

Doc Maker - did you make any headway on this? I'm in the same boat as you with a Macbook Pro and 4K footage coming my way.

MacBook Pro Retina / El Capitan / 16GB RAM / G-Studio Drive System / Media Composer 8.6.x [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | www.theatereleven.com

• Fri, Dec 5 2014 11:16 PM In reply to

• doc_maker
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Yep.  I swtiched to Premiere CC.  Works great on my MacBook and thunderbolt raided drive.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller