Latest post Thu, May 15 2014 5:49 PM by cdlefty5. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 5 2014 5:27 PM

• cdlefty5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2014
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

I'm on MC 7.0.3 and OSX 10.9.2

I know variations of this problem seem to come up for people from time to time. For me, this started ONLY after upgrading from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3. And it happens randomly when in MC, even when I'm not doing anything in it. Often though it happens when I try to save my project. 

In a given day this will crash MC 4-5 times. It's really annoying. Anyone have any ideas?

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 2.6Ghz Mac Mini (Late 2012) Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 5 2014 6:03 PM In reply to

Re: "Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

cdlefty5:
    For me, this started ONLY after upgrading from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3.

7.0.3 isn't qualified for use with OSX 10.9.2.  I'd guess that's the problem.  There's an update coming soon that will provide 10.9.2 support.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, May 5 2014 6:46 PM In reply to

• cdlefty5
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

interesting...I didn't know 7.0.3 wasn't qualified for that version of OSX, but if that's the case then that would most likely be the cause. Thanks for the info!

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 2.6Ghz Mac Mini (Late 2012) Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 5 2014 6:49 PM In reply to

You're welcome!

cdlefty5:
    I didn't know 7.0.3 wasn't qualified for that version of OSX

Just so you know, you can always check the ReadMe or the version matrix for compatibility stuff:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Mon, May 5 2014 9:35 PM In reply to

I'm on 10.8.5 and I get that crash about once a day.

• Tue, May 6 2014 6:59 AM In reply to

avidly confused:

I'm on 10.8.5 and I get that crash about once a day.

It's a pretty common error:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=avid+community+segmentation+fault+site:community.avid.com&safe=off&es_sm=122

• Fri, May 9 2014 12:02 PM In reply to

• Stef Albertyn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Posts 43
    • Points 535

I am on Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.2 and Avid MediaComposer 7.03 and USED to get this error untill I followed these steps.

Its been 3 days now without any segmentation errors - used to get it even by just closing or making a new sequence!

Get info and change the priviledges on these folders

1) The root of what is ususally "Macintosh HD" your drive with the system on (not the contents - just the root folder)

2) The "Shared" folder in the Users Folder and apply to its contents as well

3) The "Avid MediaFiles" folders on all the drives and their contents

4) Any Drive that I mount that has media on it (AMA)

Make sure that you add read/write privs to the actual user - NOT JUST USER "Everyone" - in other words if you are "Admin" - make sure you see "Admin" in the get info box and that its privs are set to read & write. If you do not see "Admin" - then use the plus sign to ad the "Admin" user. - Same applies to any other user that utilize MediaComposer. Do not rely on the "Everone" to set the privs!

Hope that helps!

stef

Mac Pro 2013 4 Core- 64GB AVID MediaComposer with Symphony option V8.3.1. Mac Harpertown 3,1 8 Core 12GB Memory AVID MediaComposer with Symphony option... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 9 2014 3:48 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion. Trying it out.

• Thu, May 15 2014 3:41 PM In reply to

Anecdotally, I've been having fewer of these crashes since implementing the permissions change. I think the tip is good.

• Thu, May 15 2014 5:49 PM In reply to

• cdlefty5
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

I did this too and it has really helped! so many fewer crashes now. its a great tip...thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller