Latest post Sat, May 3 2014 6:47 PM by Job ter Burg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 2 2014 7:58 PM

• Ken Conrad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 8 2011
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

Restoring Audio Tracks

I may have worked myself into a corner on this one. 

When i AutoSynced my audio clips to picture clips i choose not to sync A1 and A2 because they were redundent. 

Now that the film has been sent to Audio they are saying that all of the metadata on the clips is shifted by 2 tracks... so the data that they see on their trac 1 is the metadata from the origional A1 (which i did not sync) and it is supposed to be from A3... 

so i either need to turn back on A1 and A2 and reconfrom my sequences or figure out how to shift the metadata so that the exports are correct. 

Any idea or thoughts? Thanks

ken

Macpro 12 core,dual boot, mc5.5.3, mc6 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, May 2 2014 10:27 PM In reply to

Re: Restoring Audio Tracks

They should be able to link everyhing back to the original BWAV's in PT.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 3 2014 7:56 AM In reply to

Can you describe your workflow? Were these BWF-P (one multitrack file per recording) or BWF-M (one monophonic file per channel per recording)? What import settings did you use? What exactly is the issue on the PT side? Are they looking for actualy track numbers, or is is the track descriptors that are off?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 3 2014 3:58 PM In reply to

• Ken Conrad
    • Not Ranked
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

I imported all of the BWF-P. All audio was imported as 24 / 48. Used autosync and told autosync to use 3-8 for the audio channels. 

on the merged files in the bin I still see the metadata for A1 and A2.

in PT they are seeing the descriptions for A1 for what is supposed to be A3 and so on. So they see (mix L) and it should read (lav 1) 

• Sat, May 3 2014 4:58 PM In reply to

Ask them to link back to the originals. Pretty sure the issue is that PT is dumb as a donkey when it comes to metadata.

• Sat, May 3 2014 5:55 PM In reply to

• Ken Conrad
    • Not Ranked
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

Is there an easy way to do that ? They are saying they would have to use Titan and that is always a pain... 

so there is no way to get the tracks back into the sub clips I have ? I would easily be able to reconform my sequences. 

• Sat, May 3 2014 6:47 PM In reply to

Since the originals are BWF-P, I'm not totally sure if it is as easy as when using BWF-M, but they should try it (no Titan or nothing needed):

in PT9, 10 or 11, they need to right-click the tracks that have production sound on them and assign them as being Field Recorder Guide tracks. After they do that, they can select one or more regions on one or more tracks, right-click, and choose to Find Field Recorder Matches (or something like that). In PT9, they will first need to bring all the original BwF's into the Region List / Clip list, in later versions i believe they can instruct PT to search for matching tracks in specific folders/volumes.

They can choose to expand these onto new or existing tracks.

i've been using this method for a while. i import all tracks (Bwf-M) into MC, sync up the A1/A2 mixdown, and edit with that. If at any point I need access to ISO tracks, I matchframe to them. When turning over to sound editorial, they get my A1/A2 cut, plus the BWF's, and link my cut back to those BwF's, with all individual tracks. They can often even use the track description to spread stuff over existing tracks, so "TX Pete" will always end up on the same track, for any region that contains such a track. Also, those track descriptors carry over to PT more clearly this way. Sound editorial has a little more work at the start, but also profit from more flexibility and faster access.

P.S. You could do it at your end, but it would involve matchframing each audio cut in order to replace it with the original tracks. You would also lose any perf slipping. It's much easier if they can use the feature I described in Pt.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller