Latest post Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:52 AM by Tolis Apostolidis. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 8:25 AM

Relink to DaVinci dailies

Hello,

We have about 620 clips from a Blackmagic camera that need to be manually synced, and the rushes have already been transcoded from AMA linked clips. 

As an afterthought, we will create new MXF dailies from DaVinci, in order to include the LUT, so we can edit with the proper colour. In order to save time, we thought that we can go on syncing, and relink to the new dailies.

Is that possible, to relink the synced clips to the Davinci dailies? Has anyone done that succesfully?

I forgot to mention that we are working on one MC 6 and one MC 5 so using the LUT within the Avid is not an option

Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M OS X 10.10.3 Dell U2713HM Display M-Audio BX5 Wacom Intros... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 8:52 AM In reply to

Re: Relink to DaVinci dailies

tolis66:
    we will create new MXF dailies from DaVinci, in order to include the LUT, so we can edit with the proper colour.
    Then why not resync in Resolve. A reletively easy task I believe in Resolve 10 though I have only watched a tutorial on how to do it a couple of times a few months back

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:22 AM In reply to

Thank you for the reply.

Do you mean to sync the audio again in DaVinci?

I don't know if that's an option for the editor that will sync the rushes with the audio.

Our problem is that if he will sync in Avid the transcoded rushes with the audio using AutoSync, will we be able to relink the video of the synced clips to the new MXF dailies from DaVinci? 

Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M OS X 10.10.3 Dell U2713HM Display M-Audio BX5 Wacom Intros... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:31 AM In reply to

IF you are going to create New Dailies with LUTs  in Resolve I would look at the option to sync the audio in Resolve before rendering the Dailies out. (having not needed to or done it myself I am only suggesting you explore the option)

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 10:26 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,870

The problem with syncing in resolve is that it takes longer and is less accurate than in MC.  While you can sync all of the clips at one time, as in Avid, you can't set it up to be able to just slip perfs to adjust sync if it's out by say, a half frame, like you can in avid.  So if a clip is out by half a frame in davinci, then you have to go thru the sync process again, as opposed to just clicking a button a couple of time.

Also, once you've synced audio and video in resolve, you have less options in avid as to adjusting or manipulating that sync, such as the inability to slip perfs, or call up just the original audio source clip.

Syncing in Resolve works for getting audio onto to dailies for the masses quickly, but as a part of the long haul workflow, doing it in Avid is usally the better way to go.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 3:35 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

What about syncing everyhing in sequences and then send those sequences to DaVinci via AAF, relink to original clips in DaVinci, create new dailies with the LUT and send everything back to Avid. THEN make subclips from there?

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:52 AM In reply to

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

We finally decided on exporting DaVinci dailies first and wait in order to sync in Avid, it seems to be the quickest and best method after all.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller