Latest post Thu, Oct 13 2016 5:01 PM by taloftus. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 4 2014 6:05 AM

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

how to create subtitle file that can be imported

I have a transcript file of my project which I saved as .txt but SubCap will not accept it for import.  I saw references to various Windows software that could create the right kind of txt or stl file but have not seen anything for Mac. Any advice?

thanks

MC 7.0.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz 6 Core 2 intel Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 10.7.5 OS [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Apr 4 2014 9:23 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,380
    • Points 17,020

Re: how to create subtitle file that can be imported

You can look into

Belle Nuit
    Aegisub
    Subler
    Subs Factory

I'm not a mac guy, so I can't speak directly to any of them.  As you've found, there are more options for windows.

• Fri, Apr 4 2014 9:21 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

I don't know about the other programmes smrpix mentioned, but Belle Nuit could help. It actually has a "transcript" mode as one of its import options, and it will produce DS format files that SubCap can import. You'll still need to add timecodes in Belle Nuit first, though. There's a demo version you can try.

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 4 2014 11:25 PM In reply to

SubCap supports two formats. One is .STL, the other is .TXT in a specific format, but it can be created or modified by any text editor. It's basically text that looks like this:

@ This file written with the Avid Caption plugin, version 1

<begin subtitles>
    01:00:49:21 01:00:54:15
    Text line one.

02:56:53:00 02:56:55:13
    Text line two.
    And three.

<end subtitles>

As said, you'll need the timecodes, otherwise SubCap has nothing to time the captions to.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 18 2014 9:29 PM In reply to

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

I am not sure how/where to find the Avid Caption plugin. I reformatted a word doc to a txt file in the format you show but i am still getting nothing although it seems to import the file... maybe there are some details I am missing?

I saw some other posts relating to Subtitle Workshop (PC based) and formatting an AvidDS.txt file but am at a loss as to how to do this.

thanks for your response, Job

MC 7.0.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz 6 Core 2 intel Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 10.7.5 OS [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 9:50 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

There isn't really anything called the "Avid Caption" plugin - it's just that if you have some subtitles already in the SubCap generator on a timeline, and go to the Caption Files / Export caption data section and select Avid DS as the export format, you'll produce a text file that starts with the comment line "This file written with Avid Caption plugin..."

But it sounds as though you're getting somewhere if you think it's importing your file ok. One useful check is that when you have the SubCap "Select a caption file to import" window open, if  you drag the bottom right corner of the window to make it larger, you'll see some text that varies depending on which file you highlight. It will say things about how many subtitle captions will or won't be imported, depending on how the sequence timecode and text file timecodes do or don't match.

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 11:33 PM In reply to

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

I sort of figured that out (re: the plug in name), I was able to get some captions imported at one point before I corrected the whole document.  I did the pull out the window and could see how many were "before" the beginning of timeline and figured out that it was a spacing issue (I had 2 spaces between the two timecode numbers and when I removed those extra spaces, most of the captions were available). However, once I got the number of captions to be inserted closer to the total number (and it indicated this in red type in the Import Captions window), it did not work. I was able to get some captions inserted at one point earlier but could not make it happen again. Flummoxed.  I don't know if the txt doc was buggy for some reason.  Is there a particular format that the txt should be in (i.e. Western Roman or Unicode etc)?

The steps in the order that I did them:

-add SubCap generator effect to a blank video track

-create or apply a stylesheet and synchronize

-import captions doc (and it showed up as an available file with x number of captions to import)

I tried this with only that video track selected. I tried it with a mark in and out of the section where the subtitles would be. I tried it with the TC track also selected...

Any other troubleshooting ideas??  I am going to try dividing the file into smaller pieces and see if there is some other error I have missed.

thanks.

• Tue, May 20 2014 5:25 AM In reply to

• farmgurl
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 42
    • Points 460

I THINK I mostly figured it out. It seems to accept the txt document in small chunks on the timeline (if I add the SubCap effect and then cut it to a short segment), but not all at once. I think it maybe because it is pretty text heavy and I don't have a super fast computer.

thanks for input, folks

• Wed, Apr 20 2016 6:35 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

I aplogize for resurrecting an old post, but I wanted to save my findings for posterity Smile

If you use Subtitle Workshop (awesome free program providing easy GUI for caption/subtitle editing), you can create a custom exporter that will import to the SubCap tool in Avid.

Once you have the caption data setup in Subtitle Workshop, File-Save As-Custom Format

Change the extension to .txt, select Time, change Structure to "hh:mm:ss:00" and update FPS to proper rate.  Then paste this code into the template window:

@ This file written with the Avid Caption plugin, version 1  ** Placed once at the beginning of the file !*

<begin subtitles>
    {RepeatSub} ** This part repeats each time there is a new subtitle !*
    ** Here you should write the structure of only ONE subtitle !*

{swStart} {swEnd}
    {swText}

{EndRepeat} ** Ends the repeating part !*
    <end subtitles>

** End of Subtitle Workshop - Custom format ** Placed once at the end of the file !*

This will save the subtitle file with .txt extension in the required format for import to Avid SubCap tool.  The imported subtitles are accurate to the second, as I couldn't figure out a way to change the Subtitle Workshop milliseconds output to frames (hence the :00 at the end of the Structure).

I hope I can save someone an hour or two of hit or miss with a quick google search.

Good luck!

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 12 2016 2:57 PM In reply to

Hi there,

I am trying to get a .txt file into subcap and for some reason it is not detecting the timecode.

I was using a freeware program but I am on a mac and a lot of them are not supported for mac so I have resorted to having my translators type into Text Edit and then I format it to load into avid supcap.

I based my format on what is exported from Avid Subcap and it looks like this:

<begin subtitles>

06:36:26:18 06:36:34:07

There are plenty of sick people, plenty of poor people over there.

Go and see them please.

06:36:36:00 06:36:45:03

Truly there are so many poor down there

Go and see them, go and see them, go and see them please.

06:37:47:00 06:37:55:18

Truly we are poor and we are happy to welcome you here to help us.

<end subtitles>

But when I try to import it, it doesnt register timecode and says that the file is 00:00:00:00 and will not splice it in.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have many hours of footage to translate and I need to work out the best system to get them onto my rushes for the editors.

HELP!!! Please.

Many thanks

• Thu, Oct 13 2016 5:01 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

The avid subcap tool is very particular when it comes to the input file.  Please be sure it looks exacly like this:

@ This file written with the Avid Caption plugin, version 1  

<begin subtitles>

01:00:05:00 01:00:10:00
    the red LED counter on the inside voting machine shows how many cards have been

01:00:10:00 01:00:16:00
    inserted and are stored in the bins of the Machine the bins can fit up to 1,000

01:04:28:00 01:04:29:00
    ballots thank you

01:04:29:00 01:04:33:00
    if you repeat the transfer call the election center and start over

<end subtitles>

Make sure you have the @ line at the top, 1 blank line between <begin subtitles> and first block, 2 lines between each block of text, and 1 line between last block and <end subtitles>.  Timecode should also match sequence timecode.

Good luck!

tom

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller