Latest post Thu, Jul 30 2015 6:42 AM by mjolnarn. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 3 2014 11:00 PM

• Ryan Cearns
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2011
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Avid 7 - Background Services

Hi There,

I recently purchased Avid 7. I am liking the New Background services feature and have been converting files from my Gro Pro Hero 3 camera in the background and they convert perfectly for me to edit in the Avid application.

However, I recently look some video on my Canon 500D Camera and when I place the MOV files into the transfer folder I have created for the Go Pro. Nothing Happens. Ive tried creating a new folder with specific settings to convert MOV. 

Any suggestions? Should there be any reason why this should not be working?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i5 2,53 ghz with 8Gb Ram 1067 MHZ DDR3, 1tb Internal Harddrive . NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB graphics. Project files saved... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 8 2014 6:22 AM In reply to

• Ryan Cearns
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Re: Avid 7 - Background Services

Its been 2 weeks now and I still have not found any solution for this??I have tried everything. Re-Install of all the avid software and everything

Can anybody help me out?? PLEASE!!!

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i5 2,53 ghz with 8Gb Ram 1067 MHZ DDR3, 1tb Internal Harddrive . NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB graphics. Project files saved... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 8 2014 6:25 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

First thing to test, does foreground transcode work.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 8 2014 2:01 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi ryancearns,

Yeah the beginning of april is always tough for Community response time due to NAB. Thanks for whatever patience you can muster. 

I'm currently in a project with about 15,000 Canon AVCHD .mov assets. I've brought them in via AMA, and have sent a ton of them through Background Services. Also some P2, some XDCam and a few GoPro from a Hero3. All of them work perfectly fine except for the Canon. I can play them on their own in QuickTime, so they aren't corrupt. But coming into MC7 has been problematic. Most of them are fine. But a few cause crashes that close MC7 unexpectedly, forcing a reboot. 

It turns out that it is the metadata attached to the files, not the video itself. My guess is that Canon AVCHD metadata is created and exists in a somewhat more clunky format. Not even foreground transcoding works. I've also noticed after talking with the shooter, that most of the clips I'm finding difficult were clips that he quickly turned on the camera and immediately hit record - possibly causing the metadata to not be written properly. (No idea if that is for real.) 

So what I would do if I were you would be to segregate all the Canon stuff from the GoPro in your workflow. You mentioned that they are all in one folder. Change that. It might help. FWIW, I've been Background transcoding the Canon stuff, and when it arrives at a buggy clip, I do a legacy import on that one. Legacy importing works perfectly fine.

Try a fer of those and report back. We'll help however we can.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Mon, Apr 14 2014 6:09 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,317
    • Points 232,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ryan,

The forums are not a support vehicle for Avid..... that is what Support is for to call when you are having troubles that absiolutely must get addressed.  The forums are a networking, educating, helping location which are monitored by volunteers and myself. 

If we can help we will but if you need it right away, best to call in the cavelry.

Have you contacted support?  Apologies but many of us where at NAB and just back now....

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:20 AM In reply to

• Ryan Cearns
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Hi there,

I have still not found a solution to this problem. I tried all your suggestions above still with no luck. I try just right clicking on the files in the bin and transcoding them and that works fine, however when i tick the "RUN IN BACKGROUND" box it does not work. As a matter of fact the files dont even appear in the background render queue. I have tried creating a Dynamic Transcode folder on my desktop and Avid recognises the files and they all appear in the queue however they only get to 50%  (or halfway on the yellow bar) and then they stop. Nothing gets transcoded at all.

Right clicking the files and transcoding is my only option at the moment. However this totally makes the whole background transcode option redundant. AS a matter of fact the Go Pro files are no longer transcoding either in their own bin!

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED

• Mon, Apr 21 2014 12:21 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955

Hi ryancearns,

Did you try Marianna's suggestion above of contacting Avid support?  Here: https://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact

In that link, if you need to you can click on the Avid Support Portal.

We could certainly try to troubleshoot the issue here on the forums, but Background Services isn't usually something we can fix. It's usually either a reinstall of the software, or it is an issue specific to the computer you are using. Both of those are best suited for an ACSR at Avid.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

• Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:05 PM In reply to

• Ryan Cearns
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Hi There,

It would be great to be able to contact Avid Support however I work for a Non Profit organisation (The Australian Paralympic Comittee) and there is no way I could approve a $200USD phone call that might not fix the problem. I had to folk out enough cash out of my own pocket to purchase Avid 7 and from what I read about it , this function should be working. I would not have paid all that money if I knew it was not going to work. 

I have tried a full re-intall of the software with no luck.

Everytime I submit something to background services it takes hours for the files to process until they eventually fail and leave me with the following Error message: 

Unable to start the job [com.avid.utils.provider.ProviderException: Unable to start the job []]

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 1:53 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

System specs please

Also, are you on the latest version of MC 7

What are the specs for the mov files from the cam, Ctrl - i in Quicktime

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 2:16 AM In reply to

• Ryan Cearns
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

System Specs are:

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)

8GB Memory

Running OSX Mavericks

1TB Hardrive Space with 50% Free

Yes, I am on the latest version of MC 7. Just downloaded it a couple of days ago.

The Specs for the camera are:

EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera

1920 x 1080 (FULL HD) 25 fps

H264 .MOV File Type.

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:53 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Thanks

To start easy here, to see what works and what don´t, in a new created project and as a new user, could you just ama link a couple of those 1080 25p files, place them on a Sequense, place a copy of that Sequense in a new bin, and transcode that Sequense in the foreground.

If that is successful please repeat those steps with a couple of other clips this time transcoding in the background.

Please report back.

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 8:56 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955

Hi ryan, I work at a non-profit too. So I understand. 

Do me a favor - those aren't your system specs. Specs mean exact point version of Mavericks (10.9.1?), exact 17" macbook (2.2gHz?), video card make and model # (6750M?), video card driver, version of Quicktime (please say v7 not v10?), exact point version of Media Composer (7.0.3?), how your external drive was formatted (Journaled; FAT32...), whether you are MC software only or running a Mojo, and anything else you can help us understand.

Regarding Mavericks, note in the readme that 10.9.2 is not supported. The link to the readme is below. Since Background Services opens as a separate program outside of MC in your OS, the version of OS supported does matter greatly in this case.  The readme also states that while 8gigs of ram is the minimum allowed for Background services to open, 16 is recommended for it to run best.

If you want free support, you'll have to help us out a bit. We do this as volunteers. And placing those system specs into your forum user profile will stop us from nagging you about it in the future. (Look at the bottom of mjolnarn's post. See his specs?)

Paste this link to readme into your browser:

http://cdn.avid.com/Media_Composer/7.0.3/README_Avid_Editor_v7.0.3_and_v11.0.3.pdf#page26

Also there is this Avid Knowledge Base article which describes specific issues that the engineers are having with Background Services in any version of Mavericks: 

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/Mac-OS-10-9-support-for-Media-Composer-Pro-Tools-Sibelius?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1078&q=mavericks&site=kbase&filter=0

So there's a very real possibility that you'll have to either downgrade from Mavericks or transcode in the foreground. Neither is the worst in the world. Compromises and decisions that all us non-profit editors have to make.

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 9:55 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Hi Chris, the OP seems to use the exact same model of MBP that I use myself so I´have rather good control about it´s behaviour, version of Mavericks should not affect the bg transcode engine and regarding Quicktime Avid uses it´s own render engine for transcodes, it´s only on playouts that QT x is bugging with Mavericks.

Regarding formatting options on the external drive foreground transcoding should use the exact same space as bg transcode so what works foreground should also work background.

When and if all this works it´s time to setup DMF profiles but not as an initial step, BG transcode have to work 100 % first.

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 22 2014 10:10 AM In reply to

• Ryan Cearns
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Thanks Pixel Monkey

Sorry here are the proper specs you require:

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro  i5 2,53 ghz with 8Gb Ram 1067 MHZ DDR3, 1tb Internal Harddrive . NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB graphics. Project files saved locally while video files and scratch disks saved on an 1TB Western Digital External HD formatted as "Case Sensitive Journaled". Running OSX Mavericks Version 10.9.2 (13C64). Quicktime 7. Avid MC 7 (7.0.3) Software Only

• Thu, Jul 30 2015 1:52 AM In reply to

• James
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 19 2015
    • Sydney
    • Posts 12
    • Points 180

Hi, Did you ever resolve this problem? I am having this problem on MC8.3 with the same error.

MAC OS X 10.11.4 Mac Pro (Late 2013) 2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC Macintosh SSD AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller