Latest post Thu, Apr 17 2014 1:15 AM by AndrewAction. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:56 PM

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

Macros AKA Automation

Back in September 2010 I wrote

Automation otherwise known as Macros. How many hours would be saved if you could map a series of keystrokes to a single button. For example add bars and tone to the front of your sequence. Anyone who has used a linear controller knows the advantage of macros. Anyone who uses Photoshop knows the power of the automation feature. Please, please, please add this feature.

You could even use a language that avid editors know, automation timeline. You select an automation timeline then which opens a mini timeline in a floating window. You then either record your button strokes or drag icons from the command palette onto the automation time line. Once you are happy with the Automation timeline you could assign a keystroke to activate it. You could use the segment mode yellow and red arrow to rearrange keystrokes or delete them. So simple.

Im hoping for this is version 7.5!!

www.mikegreen.tv

• Sat, Mar 29 2014 11:22 PM In reply to

Re: Macros AKA Automation

I believe macro's can be created for buttons on some (or at least the Artist Color here) of the Artist series of controllers.

editmk:
    For example add bars and tone to the front of your sequence.
    FYI my poor mans macro consists of a bin with different timelines for bars and tone, complete leaders for various broadcasters (that just require a Title edit to add individual program details), file based delivery setups all with IO's and tracks selected.  This bin gets opened in all  appropriate projects.

+ 1 for macro's in the MC program.

• Sun, Mar 30 2014 10:27 AM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

Yes Artist looks great but Ive yet to find one in a broadcast edit suite. Im sure some facilities have them but not many in London. 

This week Ive been doing a lot of sorting. Making timelines with clips on with 1 second black in between each clip. This is a classic example of where macros would be great. 

Not to mention little keyboard flurries I do a lot. For example extend to an out.  Its only a little saving of time but an example of how it could be used.

Currently I click mark out, clear in and then extend. Those 3 could become 1 key with macros. 

Just so Im clear Avid, just so you dont mess it up, it needs to have wait commands. Wait till next dialogue then hit enter for example. So render could be followed by a wait till the dialogue box appears and then Avid click enter. 

This was a feature in a batch image processing application I used in 1995 called Debeblizer. I used to use it to open image sequences frame at a time, strip out the matte, then upload the seperated matte and fill to an  uncompressed 1 minute long SD disk which I had in my linear edit suite so they could be used in online.

Surely 20 years on macros should be in Avid by now. 

www.mikegreen.tv

• Sun, Mar 30 2014 8:34 PM In reply to

editmk:
    This is a classic example of where macros would be great
    But possibly not what I would call a time saver. Wink  I achieve this with 2 keys (S and V) when assembing library footage sequences. 

Add all clips to the timeline, Go to start, select approprate tracks, S go to next edit, V to insert 1 second black movie (could be filler) from source monitor.then S V through the timeline. 

FWIW a Grass Valley edit controller coupled to GV Switchers, Keyers, DVE's, graphics workstation and 3 source VTR's introduced me to Macro's around '90.  The whole lot did not manage a quarter what a basic MC can do today. Spooling, tape changes, prerolls  all meant you were paid a reasonable amount of time to make your program.

Have you considered that every time you establish workflows that save a couple of hours per job then the suits will start budgeting in less time (and less editor pay) for your future jobs?  Geeked

+1 I still want the option to create Macro's if I choose.

• Thu, Apr 10 2014 9:49 AM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

AndrewAction:
    Have you considered that every time you establish workflows that save a couple of hours per job then the suits will start budgeting in less time (and less editor pay) for your future jobs?

This could be said about any new feature which improves time like Background transcoding for example. In my experience saving time doing mundain things doesnt shorten my work day. It just means more time to do the things I have to do, better.

www.mikegreen.tv

• Mon, Apr 14 2014 7:35 PM In reply to

+1 for macros 

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:31 PM In reply to

Macros can already be done with cheap third party software, so I see this as a waste of engineering time, in terms of "new" features. I think it would create more problems, lose more time.

If you were asking for something more adventurous like voice commands or programmable double-taps or customizable mouse-gesture macros, I'm am in. I think the software is incredibly linear for a non-linear system--great for beginners, less so for old hands. What I want is for MC to complete my thoughts, predict my next choice- just like auto-spelling on a cel phone. Can we get some of that?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 11:37 PM In reply to

Telegram!:
    Macros can already be done with cheap third party software
    The few I tried were rather disappointing, and it would IMHO make sense to have macro options inside the keyboard mapping options.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 1:15 AM In reply to

editmk:
    In my experience saving time doing mundain things doesnt shorten my work day.
    Then IMO you are one of a very lucky few!!
    editmk:
    It just means more time to do the things I have to do, better.
    Stupidly this IDEAL was the principle reason for buying my first NLE (Avid). The reality for the last 20 years (for me) has been that I get less and less time to be creative every year. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller