Latest post Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:15 AM by mjolnarn. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 28 2014 3:22 AM

Video Resolution - Media Creation

Hello!

Please help me with this basic deal. Is the resolution in the MediaCreation dialog arranged pretty much listed/arranged in order of quality/size? Can you explain the difference of each?

I'm working with HDV 1080i (sony) assets and some h264 (Canon).

Thanks!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Fri, Mar 28 2014 3:31 AM In reply to

Re: Video Resolution - Media Creation

Update:

Ok, I did a simple eyeball test of each resolutions and surprisingly cannot tell the difference. So now, I guess my question is : which has the smallest file size (footprint) among them?

Thanks!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Fri, Mar 28 2014 4:21 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,380
    • Points 17,020

Every resolution there lists the file size specifically -- 17.5, 35, 145 mbs.  (HDV is apox 25 and you may want to leave it native.)

the DNxHD codecs, though larger, tend to make for a smoother editing experience than the long GOP highly compressed ones.

• Fri, Mar 28 2014 6:04 AM In reply to

Ok. This is helpful. So it seems XDCAM17 is the lightest? Thanks

--

• Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:37 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):

Update:

Ok, I did a simple eyeball test of each resolutions and surprisingly cannot tell the difference.

This is surprising me, how do you look at it and are you in green green mode.

I can even see differences between DNx 185x and J2K and this when only using computer screens to judge.

Not that old eyes obviously. 

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Mar 28 2014 10:47 AM In reply to

I'd guess the OP is doing the comparision on the source record viewers and not on a full output monitor.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Apr 3 2014 7:43 AM In reply to

Yes, I am just using my computer monitor. No external production monitors, whatsoever. Really basic, just a MacPro and a dual LCD monitors. What would be your recommendation for monitoring in this setup?

I got a fullHD Viewsonic VX2450, and a smaller Acer.

Thanks!

--

• Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:15 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I have been using a Matrox Mini since the very first 32 bits days ( or actually before that as I helped them testing drivers and firmware for Avid )

Worked amazingly well, I think all users agree with that.

The 64 bits version of Avid together with that Apple continously updates their OS in a more and more accelarated speed made it somewhat laggy, especially in trim mode and when scrubbing with audio on ( = Caps lock )

I made quite a lot of direct playouts for live audience also during that period however, also with direct ama linked media with a unrendered cc applied, realtime playout was no problem despite of that.

If you are satisfied with that I recommend that you go with that, if you want it to more behave like it did in the 32 bits days, where it really shined, the latest MC 7.03 version in combination with Mavericks and the latest Mavericks certified driver, is getting close to the old 32 bits behaviour.

Not there yet but close, best one so far however.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller